Hardknott Pass sunday 23rd

MATKAT

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sue and I were whimping it on a few days break in Cumbria walking. Sunday lunch we were parked up on the top of hardknott with the kelly kettle going, the bacon butties etc. Out of nowehere came a yellow 1200 two up and a few minutes later a small group with a 1200 and a 1100 ,,,,,,,,,,,,, if it was you please make yourselves known, the weather deteriorated and the next couple of days were very wet, hardknott and Wrynose turned into minny rivers and we had great fun watching all the cars flood out, before we did Coniston Old Man....has anyone ridden across Walna scar road on a GS?? It is a RUPP and I wondered if you could actually get right the way across to Seathwaite. :beer:

lets do it !!

well perhaps we should set up a little visit to the Cumbrian fells then, the Sun Inn in Coniston has great beer and food. The newfield Inn in Seathwaite at the end of Walna scar similar with accommodation to Boot (and there's another option) :D

Hardknot

Hi Matkat

I remember shouting hello to you and your wife. This is a report I did for Yorkshire Section BMW Club. I don't know whether people on this site would be interested in what I have posted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday morning 8.30 start in heavy rain, heading to the Lake District, up over Shap, turn left in Shap village. Then down towards Haweswater for a coffee, then over to Pooly Bridge and down the side of Ullswater onto Kirkstone Pass, turn right at the Strugglers Route to Ambleside. Still heavy rain. Heading over to Wrynose Pass there's a road on the left that says not recommended for cars or military vehicles anyone got any info on this road?
Over Wrynose Pass, then over HardKnott Pass (are these bends getting sharper and are the hills getting steeper, or is it just me) still heavy rain.
Stop at the minature railway station just after Boot for lunch, steak and ale pie of desperate dan proportions excellent. Four riders walk in just as wet as me and my wife. Soon get into conversation, what bikes are you riding. Two on GS, one on Blackbird which left the dude in black leathers with knee sliders. I ask are you on a sports bike "Yes a 916 Ducati" big laugh from me didn't think you had enough lock to get round hairpins, big laugh from his mates. He said all clutch slip and going downhill with clipons he used back brake only. He thought if he used front brake the bike might cartwheel (brave guy) and still raining hard. Then rode home total 293 miles.
Reason relating this ride is that next year we will be having destination runs i.e. just meet at a venue at certain time of day for a coffee or something to eat. Ride with friends or by yourself. Or if the weathers bad you can stay in bed

Tim Cullis said:
Walna Scar is on my 'to do' list. Also the tracks around the Tilbertwaite ford: http://vamp.idlers.org/~jaffa/dp.htm?Little Langdale1

Tim

If my memory serves me right you will struggle, maybe find it impossible to get a GS over Walna Scar road. The lead up from Coniston isn't too bad, but the side down into Dunnerdale is very difficult, sections have been washed away and is badly rutted. I walked the route a few years ago and spoke to two guys on Suzuki DR350s who said it was a real toil. Bearing in mind the size and weight of the GS you may be looking at some damage.
The roads around Tilberthwaite Ford are OK, but I believe the actual ford crossing now has a TRO on it as has Rusland Pool.

Back
Top Bottom