Santander / Gibralter end of March

Fitzdangle

Reaction score
Just looking for advice on decent roads Stan who`s also doing it has done Bilbao,Burgos,E5 to Madrid and on down to Granada and Malaga.

We were thinking about Santander,N611 to Valladolid,onto Salamanca,and the N630/E803 down to Seville.

Got two days to do it just looking for good roads and scenery,any suggestions ?:beerjug:

Couple of nice long days :)

The main roads Palencia-Valladolid-Salamanca are dull dual carriageways and the minor roads are crap, at least as far as Valladolid, after which there are at least a couple of options. Main road south from Santander towards Palencia over the mountains is also busy, loads of trucks. Depending on time available, I'd recommend some more windy stuff. Try going west a bit to San Vicente de la Barquera and south through the Picos on the Riano road, weather permitting. Check before you travel, but it should be OK ish at that time of year. The pass is high, over 1600m, so it can be a bit inclement. Worth it though, if not. But it'll add at least 3-4 hours on your travel time to Salamanca

You can then continue due south on the N621/N625, skirting Leon, and thence cut down through Zamora towards Salamanca. Hard to find an interesting road on the meseta in my experience, although they must exist somewhere!

From Salamanca south you have to cross another fairly high mountain range to get into Extremadura, the Sierra de Gredos. There aren't many roads so just pick a main one.

South from there is beyond my recent experience I'm afraid, I rode a lot of the more northern stuff a number of occasions on the way to visit me bro in Lisbon, but not crossed Extremadura North-South meself. Plasencia-Caceres-south seems to be the obvious route

Have fun
:)

View.jpg
View.jpg

View.jpg

A few pics off the Riano road over the Picos - ignore the fat git doing the Ted Bovis impression :eek:

The E5 from Burgos to Granada is the road you take if you just wanna get from north to south in the shortest possible time. You can cover ground quickly on this road - I don't just mean do 100mph - you can actually do 100 miles in an hour; hour after hour!

The N331 running down into Malaga is a little more interesting (but is over pretty quickly) and the Malaga by-pass is madness.

Give the highways a miss - try the byways!

Greg

Back
Top Bottom