Can or Y Piece - which one first?

Micky said:
I Dyno'd my 1150 before fitting Remus middle box and end can. Six to eight hp gain throughout, and a couple of dips in the power and torque curves at 3,500 and again at 4,500 rpm were 'flattened out!

I'd go for the middle can before the Y piece every time. Does away with the Kat, not as noisy as the Y piece and with the Remus end can sounds bloody lovely.

The Y piece, with back to back testing, gave a little more performance at the top of the rev range, but with a slight loss of mid range. The middle box created a little back pressure required for more torque. The end result... my bike would pull away in the mid range (50mph to 70mph regardless of gear) from the Y piece bikes, but at 90mph to 100mph (German motorway of course!) the Y piece equipped bikes would make up ground.

Mid range for me every time :)

Fitting a BB (Bernhard Bludau) chip gave approx 1 to 2 hp and ft pounds more
BUT made those dips at 3,500 and 4,500 even less significant, made sixth gear even more useable AND made the bike MUCH smoooother :) :)

Hope this helps... it's only money and you can't take it with you!

Geees, you must be an 'EX' Power Ranger? :D

Whats the middle can ???
He`s the bloke who gets stuff before giving to you. Like you Steptoe, you get bits of bikes & stuff and then give them to other blokes/burds. Middlecan :D

Steptoe said:
Whats the middle can ??? - isn't that the Cat :confused:

Remus do the Y piece, or a collector box thingy affair... like a middle box. No Kat in there, just some baffles. The Y piece offers you 'straight through' exhaust with no restriction... great for top end! The middle can gives you more mid range :) The end can will fit to either, no probs.

All fit straight on. If you go the Y piece way make sure you don't get a Sebring Y piece with a Remus exhaust... doesn't quite lign up and will crack eventually (know of two bikes where this has happened)

Remus... all the time!

In the real scheme of things 50 to 60 bhp is enough anyway... if we're honest!

this?

box2bs.jpg

i've never seen one :confused:

Value...

StooL said:
Not surprised......£321!!

Bought the full Remus system in Germany in 1999 for about £500, less than half the weight of the orginal. Did 83,000 miles on the yellow 1150, then went on to do 60,000 miles on the Adventure and still going strong, and still as good as new!

Fantastic value methinks :clap

dirtydog said:
Geees, you must be an 'EX' Power Ranger? :D

I know just two things in life Dirtydog... I love my 'bike and my 'bike loves me.

Or is that my Teddybear :confused:

Thinking out of the box................ (pun intended!)

cookie said:
this?

box2bs.jpg

i've never seen one :confused:

.......... or there again, you could just take a disc-cutter to the standard cat, rip the guts out of it and get it welded up again. Cost? As cheap as you can get an unwanted can for. Sorted!

Just go for it...

longdog said:
.......... or there again, you could just take a disc-cutter to the standard cat, rip the guts out of it and get it welded up again. Cost? As cheap as you can get an unwanted can for. Sorted!

Just go for it... it it feels right then it is right.... :thumb

But it aint necessarily so...

<<Mark_C>> said:
Would like to do both eventually, but having just bought my 1150 and what with christmas looming, new shoes for the kids etc..etc... funds are a tad tight at the moment. :fiddle So......

Which combination should I do first, a/Remus can on the existing cat or b/Standard Can on Y piece?? or I suppose c/ save up and do both together.

The main reason for this mod is a better / louder sound rather than a power/ mid range boost at this stage.

Your thoughts please...... :thumb

:thumb

I think it depends on your point of view
Removing the CAT and fitting a Y piece with standard can does make the bike obviously a bit louder, that’s the set up I have and in general happy with it.
End cans are by nature expensive ‘bling’, and you would be only putting one for the noise, and will the extra decibels get on your tits after a 3 or 4 hour ride.
Lets face it if it frees up a couple or three horsepower it will be hardly noticeable on such a heavy bike, but then I am tight old git. I would rather spend the money on putting some decent HID lights on instead, but everyone to their own!

Hi all, i have just modified my standard 2004 can, remove the outer chrome sleeve as not to damage it, clamp muffler into drill press or similar and taking the correct diameter hole saw (Blue mole) enter the two outlet holes and machine down for about 2", this removes the inner tubes and gives a very deep sound, but not to loud. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom