Rear luggage modification

Paul G (BHT)

Creator
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
A neat rear luggage carrier, fit's perfectly in place of the rear seat. :)

check.jpg

Rack

Very nice too - didn't know you had the ally boxes Paul - methinks you'll be able to lay the Mrs sideways on that so she can go to sleep on long haules ;-)

Jimbo

i heard from a traveller that if you galvanise the alu boxes you won't have any problem with aluminum dust anymore.

had i known this before i started the trip, i wouldn't have had all these aggrevations....

tool tray cover

hi paul ,
where did you get that tray cover from? i have been after one for ages, is it bestrest? or did you make it yourself from chequer plate. cheers andy

Re: tool tray cover

andy malton said:
hi paul ,
where did you get that tray cover from? i have been after one for ages, is it bestrest? or did you make it yourself from chequer plate. cheers andy

Andy,
I got the Boxer-Design one via Motorworks. Cost about £55, but doesn't look quite as good as Paul's.
Steve.

Paul, I also have the Zega panniers, although I have 2 x 41 Litre.

I noticed that they looked fairly pristine on the top, meaning that you haven't used the top hooks on the lids much, if at all.

In Australia there is a small firm that is selling heaps of straps that are called "Andy Strapz". His name is Andy and he makes straps for motorbikes.

His web site is

http://andystrapz.com/

When there, look up Flat Strapz and that is what I'm talking about.

I have 2 of the 1.5 metre straps and they are perfect for attaching a sleeping bag to the pannier lid. The straps are 50mm (2") wide and are all elastic, so they stretch. The attachment is done by using REAL Velcro and I have to say they stick like cow dung to a blanket. Even when soaking wet they work perfectly.

On top of each pannier lid I have attached 3 x strips of thin rubber that are 50mm wide, lengthways between the hooks of each lid. These strips are designed for wet areas around Saunas and the like and come in a roll with sticky stuff on one side. By having these pieces of rubber, the sleeping bags which are covered by plastic bags will not move and are completely waterproof.

I also think that you have done an extremely good job of manufacturing or acquiring a terrific luggage rack.

Is it difficult to gain access to the tool kit?

Why didn't you remove the upright on the rack, thereby allowing you to have one clear flat luggage area?

The piggyback Strapz on Andy's website are really useful, and the pictures show just what we have all been doing but with great difficulty up until now.

Mick.

Philipp, I have used Vinyl floor covering on the inside of my panniers and no probems at all.

I used 1.2mm thick by 1 metre long by 2 metres wide and I had some spare.

I used 5 tubes of glue and a sharp knife and about 2-3 hours of sniffing glue with my head in the pannier.

Total cost about $35 Australian dollars or close to 12 Pounds Sterling.

I didn't worry about the corners as they were too tight a turn. The slits of aluminium left about 10mm wide in each corner don't matter. I also did the lids as well. Interestingly it added 450gms of weight to each pannier.

They are real easy to clean and nothing gets covered in aluminium dust.

Coated aluminium can be wiped out by sharp objects and constant vibration which I've seen in aircraft boxes. Then you are back to the same as uncouted. Vinyl floor covering seems to be the best to me.

Mick.

A mate of mine designed and produced the ‘Carrier’. I think if there is enough interest he may produce a few more. Takes only 30 seconds to remove (with a tool), the rear grab rail is left in place for the nervous passengers when the seat is fitted.
Panniers have been attacked with the good old ‘Solvol Autosol’ they weren’t that shiny Two weeks ago. Thanks for the rubber strip tip Mick sounds useful.
I did wander about the ally dust problem in the panniers so I’ll be lining mine with ‘sticky back plastic’ Blue Peter showed me how to do that :D :D

Hi Paul would like to get hold of one of those covers if you do get enough interest. Also my local Rubber ( oh err ) dealer sell sticky back neoprene 3mm thick and 600mm wide. I used it to line the panniers on my ST1100, brilliant stuff and sticks like s**t to a blanket. I will bring a bit to BMF so you can have a look.

Back
Top Bottom