Time Recording Coordinator - Assistant
Publicity Coordinator

Baton rider
GS Girl

Baton Support team
GS Boyz 1
GS Boyz 2
GS Boyz 3

Georgia & I could do this route or Berwick to Scarborough.

Appears I have the task of planning the route from Carlisle to Fort William :eek:

Two options follow, as Georgia & I are from the North East (near Durham) maybe some of you from Carlisle area may know of better option.... if so please let me know :thumb

Using Dunoon ferry

Attachments

• Dunoon.jpg
    Dunoon.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 399
Up the middle & over Forth Bridge

Attachments

• Forth Bridge.jpg
    Forth Bridge.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 392
hi uys,
I'm in glasgow and the route using the dunnoon ferry link will be time-of-day dependant to utilise the ferry timings.

Dirty Dan said:
hi uys,
I'm in glasgow and the route using the dunnoon ferry link will be time-of-day dependant to utilise the ferry timings.

Hi D.D, looks like route will depend on handover time at Carlisle
:beerjug:

Attachments

• Ferry timetable.jpg
    Ferry timetable.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 374
You could also try the B7076 from Gretna up to the B7078 & catch the M74 at junc 8. the B7076 runs parallel with the M74 and is wide, well surfaced & VERY quiet to aid making progress ;)
If you`d like to go over to Edinburgh follow the B7076 up to Moffat & pick up the A701 up to Penicuik & onto the Edinburgh ring road, it`s a very picturesque route up there :thumb
Both these routes I use when heading up into Scotland depending on which part of it I`m going to.

Hope this helps :thumb

Lee

Sorry to butt in, however forget using the CalMac route to Dunoon, too exspensive, too iregular and just a waste of time. Before you get into Gourock you'll pass the ferry that does the Hunters Key run, Western Ferries, they run two ferrys all the time back an forth. The crossing runs all day and is about 20 mins across, they even run 4 an hour at peak times, and it only costs about 6.50.

Don't even bother with the CalMac. If you're looking for either support or company I'd be glad to come along for the ride, though sin of sins I'm on an 1100S not a GS :confused:

Any other input you'd like just shout I'll gladly try and help in any way I can.

Toodle Pip
PAul
:bounce1

Big Lee & Sea Dog thanks for your input.. Going to decide exact route once I know Carlisle arrival time.

Sea Dog ..would welcome your support as Baton Team Rider. If anyone else would like to join in there's still places too fill :thumb

The route needs to follow the Coastline as much as possible, means the total distance for this leg will be approaching 400 miles.. Mapsource gives a time of approx 9.5 hrs (not inc stops) could be more if travelling at night. The Dunoon ferry stops sailing at 10:30pm so it's possible we may have to go the Long Way Round :rolleyes: as shown.
Route not cast in stone, just a rough outline at the moment to give some idea of distance/time.

Attachments

• No ferry.jpg
    No ferry.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 307
Hi Metal

If we're not going to catch the ferry then after Gourock it's pretty much all motorway up to Glasgow and then a crappy run back out towards Loch Lomond. If the ferry isn't caught I'd strongly recommend crossing the Erskine Bridge if you don't have to go into Glasgow for any reason, which is what I think you've done on the Map (?) That would bring us onto the A82 around Bowling and it's 15 minutes to the bottom of Loch Lomond from there.

Rest of the route looks peachy and it's a nice road round the south west corner, though as you get up towards Girvin there's now an AVERAGE SPEED camera network in place, all the way to north of Ayr, front facing so we're okay, but anyone in a car be aware.

If you want to talk about any of it then pm me a number and I'll give you a call.

All the best
PAul
:bounce1

Dont miss out Galloway !

If you are going round the coast you cant miss out Galloway. Its lovely. The A75 is boring and near to Stranraer the traffic cops are a bit nasty but the run up the coast road to Girvan is worth it, until you get to the "average speed cameras".

Region 8 Riders... I have listed as:

The Sea Dog
Big Lee
Toffee
Grahame

Can you each confirm that I have the above list correct as official GS Riders for this region please.

The role of Co-ordinator for this reion is still vacant. Also a GS lady is required. Could you help? or know of anybody willing to help?

Many thanks

:)

Hi,just had a first look at this thread.

Ayrshire coast is a long run from carlisle to north ayrshire,but it can be within hitting distance of the coast.

Once you get to greenock,push out to erskine bridge ,pick up A83 to lochgilphead,take A816 to oban,then up to ballahuilish(sp) then up to fort bill.

From the fort up to the top left corner is one of the best touring routes scotlands got!

fort bill to kintail road,then to kyle of lochalsh,turn right up to torridon,run up the coast to ullapool.......keep going till you hit john o groats then turn right and blat down to inverness.(this is one of my fav touring routes and will be doing it early may this year)

Boon (mid argyll)

Gentlemen, we have some good news....

A GS Lady will be along shortly to introduce herself to you all. Her signature name is 'sillymoo' and the proud owner of a GS 650 :thumb.

Would the Regional Co-ordinator please make contact with her as soon as possible to discuss the route.

Sillymoo ... contact me if you need me, and welcome aboard :thumb

;)
Duchess said:
Gentlemen, we have some good news....

A GS Lady will be along shortly to introduce herself to you all. Her signature name is 'sillymoo' and the proud owner of a GS 650 :thumb.

Would the Regional Co-ordinator please make contact with her as soon as possible to discuss the route.

Sillymoo ... contact me if you need me, and welcome aboard :thumb

Hi,
I have been chatting to Duchess and have read more about the route etc. I would like to do a dry-run or two during the summer (August). I live in London so, of course, this is a slight prob - but am willing to try!! Can I perhaps hear from the other guys involved and have a natter about meeting up; about routes and especially timings of the leg as I am not sure 10 hrs is enough for 390 miles on A Roads. I am not a hugely experienced rider and I want to make it rather than kill myself ----- as discussed with Duchess (who is great!). My hubby will be along for the ride as support (hoping we can hire a bike up there -- anyone got any ideas for where to do that?) as we have to bring our son up from London and this will be done by car.
Look forward to hearing from and communicating with everyone!
tara for now
Amy. ;)

Proposed Route for Region 8

Hi,
I have looked at a map (not good with computer based things) but then put it into AA Road Map thing - don't know how to post it here.Here's the route I looked at:

Carlisle - A7 to M6 then A74 to Gretna Green. Left onto A75 to Dumfries then on up the A76 to A77 Junction. From there either the A71 - A737 to the Paisley Jnctn 29 of M8 OR A77M to the A726 to Paisley Jnctn 29 of M8 (which is faster and shorter if we are running late).

From Jnctn 29 --go to Jnctn 30 then take the A82 North to Tarbet where we turn left along the A83 along to the A816 -- then North again to Oban - up to South Ballachulish and then the A82 to Fort William.
(From Tarbet we can also go straight onto the A82 and then on up to Fort William - again, about 1/2 the distance of the first route if we are running late).

Total Mileage: with the short cuts: 220 miles (Av Speed 34mph) and along the more lengthy route: 270miles (average speed 41.5 miles per hour).

I am not familiar too much with the roads :confused: - but wld like to do a "dry run" in August - around the 2nd week - :moped: who can join us for that? Wld love some company - both for that and for the actual event. We also need to sort out petrol stuff - so I need to get the knowledge of people who live up there (I'm in London for my sins!!) :D

Look forward to hearing from whomever plus Grahame. What dates would suit you (if any) in the second week of Aug? :nenau CAn you give me an idea as we're planning our hols now. :)

I have agreed with Duchess to be the coordinator for this - but I can do only limited things -- talking to and coordinating with Region 7 and 9 being the main thing - :bow we need local knowledge of papers; radio stations; publicity points and so on. AND, of course, the more the merrier for raising the money. :clap

Tara for now
Amy :goof

Back
Top Bottom