Toasty toasty...DIY heated garment kit.

Fanum said:
:nenau still can't see the need for a rheostat TBH....if it's cold enough to put on, you'll keep it plugged in.....if it's not, you won't.....

Mounting a control, connecting both sides to it etc etc just adds layers of complication...K.I.S.S.

Once I've got some adequately rated curly cable though, I'm going to take the plug apart, fill it with silicone and seal it all up again....

PS I've got a line on some 12v flexible rubber heating pads if anyone's interested.....they use them to heat the tanks of the latest generation of commercial dishwashers and look like they might be perfik for sticking under the seat coverings ;)

I can see the advantage of the reostat, if its really cold, youll just leav it on, but would like to be able to turn down, when filtering or stopped, putting the reostat between the socket and the battery, will mean your not either cold or overcooked, maybe not as automated as using a thermostat, but should be easier to use. :beer:

FanumMounting a control said:
My thermostat is mounted on the bike, with a socket attached. I just plug the heated jacket into the socket. It's the same thermo that chilli heated clothing use, it controls the amount of current reaching the jacket, so doesn't have to be attached to the jacket.

Same as you plug your jacket into your socket . I do the same. How simple is that ?? :D :cool:

cookie said:
that's it, i'm sold.

i'm going to buy one for me & one for the hound in the car

i held off buying as one poster had a problem but all seems ok now :)

It was me who had a problem which was possibly a faulty piece of wire. Once this had been replaced (FOC) it worked perfectly.

I wore mine yesterday and concur with all of Fanum's findings - it's just like having a warm envelope of air all round your torso! :thumb :thumb

Andy

iangough said:
Any chance of some pictures so we can admire and get inspired (er copy) your handywork.... :)

Have you seen Wallace and grommit and the techno trousers. Well thats the sort if idea -

Have passed on the interest to the man who can help -

If you have made your own or have heated equipement I have some controllers, they are of the varible modulation type. If you want one they will cost you £12 including postage. Work up to 4 amps.

Only available to site sponcers.

You can use paypal if you want, PM me.

Steve

Activmoto said:
If you have made your own or have heated equipement I have some controllers, they are of the varible modulation type. If you want one they will cost you £12 including postage. Work up to 4 amps.

Only available to site sponcers.

You can use paypal if you want, PM me.

Steve

Nice one Steve, PM sent earlier :thumb

4 Amps??

I'd imagine that's cutting it a bit fine isn't it??

Haven't measured it yet but I'd be surprised if the draw was less than that. :confused:

Steptoe has been using one without problems.

Someone put an ohm meter on and let’s find out.

Fanum, you cut 2 foot off of yours so it will run very slightly cooler.

The controller is overload protected; reverser polarity protected and comes with a 10 second guarantee.

Steve

Fanny's w/coat with 2' less will run warmer than standard. Assume atotal resistance of 3 ohms and wire 33' long, this gives 0.089ohms/ft. F's resistance
total is 0.178 ohms.
standard jacket Power(watts) =VoltsXAmps 12x4=48 Watts
Fannys jacket 12x4.25=50.7Watts

As usual, i stand to be corrected :rolleyes:

Fanum,

Harry is correct your jacket will run slightly hotter not cooler as I suggested.

Measuring one of these kits (Watton's) today and it came out at 3.2 ohms which at 12 volts is 45 w yours is about 48 w at 12 volts.

Steve

Activmoto said:
Measuring one of these kits (Watton's) today and it came out at 3.2 ohms which at 12 volts is 45 w yours is about 48 w at 12 volts.

Steve

My 1200 GS has 14.2v at the accessory socket when the engine is running, which in Whatton's case would give 63W.

However, it is probable that as the temperature of the wire increases so does its resistance, thus reducing the heat ouput.

Giles

Back
Top Bottom