Toasty toasty...DIY heated garment kit.

Rheostat...

Hi all,

Bit of a 'thread from the dead' but winters coming and have sorted some muff's and started on a heated jacket and wondered if anyone has info on obtaining a rheostat?

Activmoto r u still around?

Cheers

Yeah me too as I've just knitted me own jacket last night ...

Simon
Hi all,

Bit of a 'thread from the dead' but winters coming and have sorted some muff's and started on a heated jacket and wondered if anyone has info on obtaining a rheostat?

Activmoto r u still around?

Cheers

You don't want a rheostat (or potentiometer as it's called in the modern world... =)

What you are looking for is a Pulse Width Modulator or PWM for short... If you don't want to buy one from the likes of Gerbing... you can DIY one from a kit from Maplins (make sure it'll do the power)...

Here's a kit that I made... (should be available form Maplins) might be just on the low side for a full jacket... I know it was for my Gerbing... though I use one for my telescope heaters... http://www.velleman.be/ot/en/product/view/?id=9391

Al...

Controller

Fancy making myself a jacket, but would like to know if anyone has made one and used a controller from one of the established heated jacket company's as they are likely to be weather proof. If so has anyone details of problems encountered with connecting the controller to the kit and what controller best to use?

Fancy making myself a jacket, but would like to know if anyone has made one and used a controller from one of the established heated jacket company's as they are likely to be weather proof. If so has anyone details of problems encountered with connecting the controller to the kit and what controller best to use?

i used the one from my chilli jacket on my diy jacket. try the bike show you may be able to get one from chilli :thumb2

Anyone tried those fishermens pocket warmers? They use hot charcoal embers in tin case to keep cosy:D

ooooooooh-heated pants too. :D Do they have a seperate connection to the bike power or is it connected to the jacket?

Correct me if I am being dim, but is it just a simple case of: unpicking the stitching in the liner, moving the liner out of the way, placing the wire, then stitching the liner back on??? Is the wire stitched to the liner to hold it in place?

Sounds far too easy.......with the exception of sewing that is....i struggle sewing buttons back on! :eek

Steptoe

easy - i've got heated fleece and trousers

Steptoe, with the trousers do you have to wear anything underneath to stop nyou getting burnt or is it all about what you choose to start with i.e. thick and fleecy.

Why is everyone saying stuff about getting burnt? Mine doesn't run THAT hot.:nenau

I have a heated jacket using these instructions: www.hastie.org.uk/heatedjacket whilst it has never burnt me it can be hot if you just wear a single layer,say a t-shirt or thermals under it.The best thing I have found is to wear another layer,like a sweatshirt,under it and all is well.
Did anyone find a source for curly cable?I think that Vehicle Wiring Products do them.

Hastie

Just looked on www.Hastie.co.uk and am thinking of making some trousers to connect into my gerbing jacket which means I'll need to measure the Gerbing circuit (have low ohms tester at work) and will need the dc connector to plug into Gerbing jacket. Trouble is I don't know what the dc connecctor is called , which I need to know to find on RS. Can anyone help?

I used the resistor off my old OXFORD heated grips....works a treat but i think i should cut the wire shorter to get more heat.:augie

I may be talking out the back of my head but are you sure about that?I thought that the heat produced was due to the resistance of the wire,so more heat would need a greater length of wire,but would draw more current.
I was thinking about reducing the heat on mine as I have to turn it off in 30mph limits as it gets too hot.The only control I have is an on/off switch ,I could realy do with some variable control.

I may be talking out the back of my head but are you sure about that?I thought that the heat produced was due to the resistance of the wire,so more heat would need a greater length of wire,but would draw more current.
I was thinking about reducing the heat on mine as I have to turn it off in 30mph limits as it gets too hot.The only control I have is an on/off switch ,I could realy do with some variable control.

The shorter the wire, the hotter the temperature of any given length :thumb2

I stand corrected:blast.I really should have reached for the calculator before pressing send.I have been abd done the sums and you are indeed correct:D

Back
Top Bottom