Toasty toasty...DIY heated garment kit.

I bought one of these from Maplins for £2.99, nice and long too.

Mine works well and I havn't set on fire yet .:D

H6

Attachments

• bv47b.jpg
    bv47b.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 695
Anyone got a Gerbing and an ohm-meter

Just finished the DIY trousers using the 30 AWG wire as used on the Hastie site and realised I should have used larger wire because I am taking power off a Gerbing jacket. The basic problem is the Gerbing jacket is fused at 15A and the resistance measured at the jacket with nothing else connected is 2.1 ohms. The trousers I made have a resistance of 3.3 ohms. The jacket is drawing 13.8v/2.1ohms = 6.6A . The trousers are drawing 4.2A :13.8v/3.3 ohms. The reason for the trousers having a high resistance and therefore drawing less power than the jacket is that the wire used only has a capacity to draw that amount maximum. The wire used by Gerbing has a larger csa ( cross sectional area) and can take up to 15A. Although the jacket only draws 6.6 A the draw when all the other garments are connected will be a lot greater. The connectors which the jacket and gloves are connected to are wired in parallel which means the resistance measured when I connect my trousers to the Gerbing jacket is 1.4 ohms which gives a draw of 9.9A. With the glove connected the draw will be greater still. My trousers are a lot cooler than the jacket and fused at 15a which is bad as the wire can only take in the region of 4A. I therefore intend to get some larger wire which will address the fusing problem and enable me to have a lot more wire in the trousers and for them to be as hot as the trousers (as I larger wire has less resistance).Can anyone who has Gerbing trousers and/or gloves measure the resistance between the inner and outer of the DC socket? plus what size wire do Gerbing use in their kit?

However, it is probable that as the temperature of the wire increases so does its resistance, thus reducing the heat ouput.

Giles[/QUOTE]

The figure for copper is 0.004 ohms/per degree centigrade. Silver will be a little less I think.

Flippin 'eck!

I ended up buying a shaver cord for 50p from a boot sale :D

Still working fine after 2 years :)

Heat controller

Anyone know a source for a waterproof rheostat to feed the socket they supply with the kit?

Gerbings do two types of xco ntrlooers one goes on the belt and the other on the bike very good but put the bike one where it don't get damaged, I put
mine on the "dash" and when the bike flipped broke off the knob!!.
An ordenary reostat (variable resistance) will be big, and also get hot so use an electronic device as per Gerbings. I used my heated jacket riding through Alaska and belive me folks they are brilliant.
dave (warm) gs.

Last edited:
easy - i've got heated fleece and trousers

Steptoe, with the trousers do you have to wear anything underneath to stop nyou getting burnt or is it all about what you choose to start with i.e. thick and fleecy.

Plug in vibrator?, no, second thoughts, a pot noodle or two nice long run and a nice? hot snack at the end!.
Another rave from the amazing dave gs.

Last edited:
Ahhh nice to reserect an old thread :D

I finally got round to fitting my Heat4Jackets kit last week (bought it over a year ago!). Not a pretty job, but effective.

Works fine plugged into the onboard standard canbus socket on an F800GS.

Kept me toasty for 600miles last weekend.

Back
Top Bottom