Achill Island 28th - 30th July 2006

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
After some queries (here) as to wether or not there would be a UKGSer weekend in Ireland this year Jockser and I set about organising one.

Initially we had intended to hold it in Co. Wexford, but unfortunately our intended location is not available because of renovation work. It will be our preferred place next year.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Our venue is the Achill Island Hotel, a newly built 26 bedroom family run hotel, restaurant and bar located at the gateway to Achill Island, Co Mayo.

hotel_boat_737x228.jpg

We have secured exclusive booking rights to the hotel until the end of March, so if you are thinking of coming you have some time to make your plans.

The hotel has 25 rooms in a variety of combinations, double, single, twin etc. Camping will be available on the GAA football pitch next door to the hotel for a small fee of €15 per tent.

Campers can avail of the hotel toilet facilities and of course for those who do not want to cook breakfast they can go into the hotel in the mornings for their breakfast. The breakfast is €8.50 non resident, this constitutes choice of cereals, juices, fresh fruit, full Irish, fish, scrambled eggs & bacon, etc, tea/ coffee.

The hotel rates are as follows;

2 nights bed & breakfast & 1 evening meal @ €125 per person sharing

2 nights bed & breakfast & 2 evening meal @ €150 per person sharing
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Some of the T.I.T.S team will be attending the weekend event and any funds raised will be donated to their wall building fund.

If you interested in attending this event on Achill Island would you please post a reply to this thread so that we can plan accordingly.

Thanks

Aidan & Jockser

mayomap600w.gif

Achill Island is the largest island off the coast of Ireland, measuring some 20km from east to west and 18km from north to south. Its famous rocky and mountainous coastline measures a total of 120km and includes Europe's highest sea cliffs at Croaghan. Achill has two significant mountains, Slievemore (672m) and Croaghan (668m), while Minaun (466m) provides the dramatic cliffs at the Dookinelly end of Keel strand.

kildawnet.jpg

Gráinne Uaile's castle at Kildawnet, Achill Island

slievemore.jpg

Slievemore mountain seen from foot of Minaun cliffs, Achill Island

Plenty of these empty roads around. :thumb
road_to_mulrany.jpg

ashleam-5.jpg

keem_bay.jpg

It would be a lot handier, if not cheaper for you to just move over here Whatton. :D :thumb

You will of course be very welcome to Achill. :thumb

Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me !!!!!

Ho yes :thumb

Do they have a ferkin goodfire brigade on the island??

Oblertone sounds like he's keen......you'll need one :D

PS camping for me....

Aidan1150 said:
It would be a lot handier, if not cheaper for you to just move over here Whatton. :D :thumb

You must be joking, the MIL lives in Mayo :eek:

going to be there in june as part of a weeks spin round the place.great pics aidan many good times on achill.dont think ill be able to make this but you never know what happens.obviously i would be camping so guess i could just show up.who knows might talk swmbo into going
cheers
kyle

Guys, when you ring the hotel to book, ask for Beatrix & mention the BMW GS Weekend :thumb

Phone: +00353 (0)98 45138

I'm trying to get a copy of the menu to post (all I have is a bad fax copy ) to help whet your appetites ;)

Mind you, if you're like me you'll eat anything :D :D

Could well be up for this one .Would love another run Louisburgh grouge . Thats were Charlie fishes when he is on holiday .

Could the Tossers going from the UK post which crossing they're using, I'm not sure which one to use as the Hollyhed - Dun dooda crossing is a bit early in the morning at this time of year
a070.gif

Achill in July

Hi Aidan,

Great venue you've got - and well prepared at this stage too! :thumb You're setting a high standard!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to join in the fun, but hopefully we can compare notes in August.

Cheers (and shout if I can be of help, e.g. for chaperoning travellers out of Dublin on the road to the west).

Jonny

Food !!

Guys heres a sample menu for the hotel. Quality is not great but you can read it ;)

And I know its not straight :dabone

Attachments

• Achill Menu.jpg
    Achill Menu.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,084
Count me in. Probably be me & Elaine & possibly Hannah as well.

Speggo (Official TIT)

Not sure of croissing yet, but bit tempted to stay over for a couple of weeks and do the Dublin event on 11th/12th Aug on the way home. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Alternatively, could leave the bike somewhere secure and fly back in between. Anybody got a secure lockup I could hire for a couple of weeks?

Sorry Bin . Cant spell for sh1t . Meant the Adelphia Gourge . Is that how you spell it . Just us stupid northerners.Still looks wrong , but what the hell i know what i mean ( thats all that matters )

Back
Top Bottom