The Route for region 6

Clive said:
Region 5 is due to start around 4pm and last 6 hours so Region 6 route will be starting around midnight :cool:

So the route can easily be completed in the time allowed, even on a 650 :thumb

timolgra said:
So the route can easily be completed in the time allowed, even on a 650 :thumb

:bounce1

Oh so typical of a "bum wobbler" . . . but I thought this wasn't meant to be a race?

Agreed that the absence of "distracting sights" and normal traffic mean that a more reliable "point to point" average speed can be achieved so - technically - the whole section is achievable in the time . . . barring riders falling asleep and falling off?

But there is one small consideration that needs a bit of fact-finding before the actual day. After the start at Aber you may not find ANY petrol stations open either later in the evening or through the night on the whole coastal route until you get to Caernarfon possibly even Bangor? Remember too that whilst the "coastal road" around Ynys Mon will be mainly 30mph and/or urban areas you are unlikely to find any petrol station open other than the port of Holyhead which, in theory, isn't on the route?

Now . . . this isn't a problem to me. Even ubused like a demented two-stroke my F650GS returns 85 MPG . . . read it and weep "boxers" :dabone

But this first half is my back yard so what I would hope to do before the ride is have a list of which stations and where will be open . . . it'll give me a chance to stretch my legs and twiddle my thumbs :cool:

Hendreforgan said:
But there is one small consideration that needs a bit of fact-finding before the actual day. After the start at Aber you may not find ANY petrol stations open either later in the evening or through the night on the whole coastal route until you get to Caernarfon possibly even Bangor? Remember too that whilst the "coastal road" around Ynys Mon will be mainly 30mph and/or urban areas you are unlikely to find any petrol station open other than the port of Holyhead which, in theory, isn't on the route?

Now . . . this isn't a problem to me. Even ubused like a demented two-stroke my F650GS returns 85 MPG . . . read it and weep "boxers" :dabone
Both Lucy's and my 1100's have a 300+ mile range with the additional 2 gallon auxiliary tanks fitted ;)

Paul G (BHT) said:
Both Lucy's and my 1100's have a 300+ mile range with the additional 2 gallon auxiliary tanks fitted ;)

Nice but not standard . . . what about the others? :eek:

But it has just occured to me that I myself have one answer. I live just outside Dolgellau almost on the A493, even if I could not take part those doing so will pass my door having completed 53 miles of the section. I have clean jerry cans, etc and what if I make sure these are filled for a refuelling stop . . . and who is not to say that the extra 53 miles isn't going to be crutial to some later on? :beer:

But you'll accept that my point is a valid one for those having to make their run through the night . . . given that some areas of the UK coastline are even more "remote" I do hope that some forward thinking is applied . . . or some of us will be waiting a long time for the baton :(

Hendreforgan said:

Nice but not standard . . . what about the others? :eek:

But it has just occured to me that I myself have one answer. I live just outside Dolgellau almost on the A493, even if I could not take part those doing so will pass my door having completed 53 miles of the section. I have clean jerry cans, etc and what if I make sure these are filled for a refuelling stop . . . and who is not to say that the extra 53 miles isn't going to be crutial to some later on? :beer:

But you'll accept that my point is a valid one for those having to make their run through the night . . . given that some areas of the UK coastline are even more "remote" I do hope that some forward thinking is applied . . . or some of us will be waiting a long time for the baton :(

I think you'll find that Paul's tanks are standard, the extras are Jerry cans. There's a 24hr fuel station just off the A55/A5 near Bangor. It won't be a problem, don't fret about there being no forward planning :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway you tosser :) , where abouts are you? I was at Dolgellau a couple of days ago and have several friends in the area. :beer:

timolgra said:
I think you'll find that Paul's tanks are standard, the extras are Jerry cans. There's a 24hr fuel station just off the A55/A5 near Bangor. It won't be a problem, don't fret about there being no forward planning :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway you tosser :) , where abouts are you? I was at Dolgellau a couple of days ago and have several friends in the area. :beer:

Hey! Who are you calling me a "tosser" . . . and I've told you before . . . don't call me "Shirley" . . . lol. :)

I'm not fretting :confused: just cursed with the brain of a dozen "Devil's Advocates" :eek If I am cursed at but succeed in preventing others from making mistakes then this makes me happy :thumb

Live just outside Dolgellau on the Tywyn road . . . just me and "Scarlett" my devil of a F650 :spitfire

Puts "fretting" cap back on . . . ummm . . . aren't we meant to do the circuit of Ynys Mon before going to Bangor? The offer to be a fuel dump still stands but it would be a lot more useful if it were near Caernarfon!

I asked the system if I could send you an IM . . . but the system said no.

Hendreforgan said:

Hey! Who are you calling me a "tosser" . . . and I've told you before . . . don't call me "Shirley" . . . lol. :)

I'm not fretting :confused: just cursed with the brain of a dozen "Devil's Advocates" :eek If I am cursed at but succeed in preventing others from making mistakes then this makes me happy :thumb

Live just outside Dolgellau on the Tywyn road . . . just me and "Scarlett" my devil of a F650 :spitfire

Puts "fretting" cap back on . . . ummm . . . aren't we meant to do the circuit of Ynys Mon before going to Bangor? The offer to be a fuel dump still stands but it would be a lot more useful if it were near Caernarfon!

I asked the system if I could send you an IM . . . but the system said no.

There is also a 24hrs station at Tesco's, Bangor which is right next to the A55 as we proceed to Anglesey ie on the Caernarfon side.
Good idea to be a fuel dump where you are, because I had assumed there is a 24hr fuel station at or near Aberystwyth, we need to check that one out. :eek:

You may not be able to send me an IM as I see you have not aspired to become a 'Site Sponsor' , then "computer says yes";)
My email is; timolgra@aol.com, give me a shout and we could arrange to meet up and maybe go for a ride, if you can keep up :D
Tim

I`m not participating in any way,but I saw the comments about fuel,and if anyone is worried about fuelling at night,there`s 24hr filling stations on the A41 just off Junction 5 of the M53 ( Eastham ) and on the A41 just before the Birkenhead Tunnel (at the roundabout by the shipyards with the Hotel california on it ),as well as one in the middle of Birkenhead on Borough Road near Birkenhead Library.....

I would imagine that us in region 5 would like to know about 24 hr fuel in Aberystwyth so we can get home. :D

madmikey said:
I would imagine that us in region 5 would like to know about 24 hr fuel in Aberystwyth so we can get home. :D

No probs, even if the hand-over is elsewhere in Aberystwyth I'll check and find out where the 24 hour stations are and post well before event.

Look Bach . . . I'm saying all the right words . . . but not necessarily in the right order see?

madmikey said:

There is only one 24 hour fuel station in Aberystwyth. I have posted the details in the Region 5 threads.

I tweaked my departure time for a trip home from Lampeter a couple of days ago to late in the evening so that I would be in Aberystwyth around midnight, I then came back to Dolgellau the long way round - coast road - to take a look out for fuel stations. :nenau

It confirmed my thoughts, including the three in Dolgellau there are no fuel stations open south of me after Aber. :mmmm I will look for an excuse to do the next bit when I can to check out that part too.

Back
Top Bottom