What system is the best?

ebbo said:
Well, if your taking a laptop, I’d buy the 276c and auto kit (again!)
Benefits:- larger screen, daylight viewable, battery can last all day, 12v power from the bike if you want or charge up on an evening. You can use the laptop to create your routes and transfer them to the 276c, ideal!

Owww :thumb

That's a very good start...Hadn't thought about the 276C, Mr. Pan European said this is a marine unit, therefore not very good on the bike, but I guess he was wrong then...

Can you use the 276c for Hiking? :nenau

Cheers

Backmarker said:
Agreed. Owning both TomTom and Garmin units, I have to say that I have to use a lot more advanced skills to get to my destination when using the Garmin.
Exactly! :thumb

When "get to my destination" is what you want TomTom is probably better than Garmin. The user interface on some Garmins (2610) is very far from being perfect. :(

But when "having fun on a nice road" is your thing nothing beats a Garmin! :)

fcasado said:
Can you use the 276c for Hiking?
HEY you never mention hiking! Well… it’s a little bigger than you might want for hiking, but you can’t have it all ways can you?
Anyway, if you have big pockets, you can take it hiking, Garmin do a neat semi hard cover for the display I use, its better than a bag.

ebbo said:
HEY you never mention hiking! Well… it’s a little bigger than you might want for hiking, but you can’t have it all ways can you?
Anyway, if you have big pockets, you can take it hiking, Garmin do a neat semi hard cover for the display I use, its better than a bag.

I know, I know... :D

I hate hiking in fact...But just to know wht the thing can do... :clap

Great help, thanks :thumb

fcasado said:
That's a very good start...Hadn't thought about the 276C, Mr. Pan European said this is a marine unit, therefore not very good on the bike, but I guess he was wrong then...
Nothing can be more wrong! The 276C is, by far, the best MC navigator available for the users who love riding on small curvy countryside roads, in the mountains of Norway, in the Alps or on the gravel roads of Slovenia. These enthusiasts finds routes & tracks on web, download them to the PC, adjust the info and then upload it to the GPS. The 276C is the best device available for this kind of usage.

But 90% of the GPS owners never use the GPS this way. For them any navigator will do fine. Preferably one that is ready to use out-of-the-box as the TomTom Rider, the Quest2, or a GPS-module hooked up to a GPRS mobile phone.

:type

It really depends on exactly how you are going to use it (not what others think is good for their particular use) and what your current level of navigation knowledge is.

Don't worry. Your second GPS will be perfect :D

HMR said:
Nothing can be more wrong! The 276C is, by far, the best MC navigator available for the users who love riding on small curvy countryside roads, in the mountains of Norway, in the Alps or on the gravel roads of Slovenia. These enthusiasts finds routes & tracks on web, download them to the PC, adjust the info and then upload it to the GPS. The 276C is the best device available for this kind of usage.

But 90% of the GPS owners never use the GPS this way. For them any navigator will do fine. Preferably one that is ready to use out-of-the-box as the TomTom Rider, the Quest2, or a GPS-module hooked up to a GPRS mobile phone.

HMR, that's exactly what I want the GPS for (Playing on the small roads)... :thumb

What the 276C can do that the Quest2 can Not? :nenau

Everything I know about GPS's is what I've read here...Never touched one unit and the closest I've ever got to a GPS is playing with the Google Earth! Do you really need advanced skills to use the 276C?

Cheers

fcasado said:
HMR, that's exactly what I want the GPS for (Playing on the small roads)... :thumb

What the 276C can do that the Quest2 can Not? :nenau
You will be happy with either the Quest2 or the 276C. But you should avoid the StreetPilot models. This because the internal memory for routes & traces is insufficient in all StreetPilots. The 276C is better than the Quest2 in this respect but the Quest2 is still OK.

Why is this so important? Three main reasons. One is that in a StreetPilot you can almost not fit in the routes UK - South Italy back & forth. Forget having alternative routes with you. The second is that in a 276C you can store up to 15 traces (in addition to the routes). Traces you can use as routes where the maps are poor. And the maps are often poor in the rural areas you want to ride! Third reason is that a 276C can record a trace of your riding during several weeks. A StreetPilot can only log 4-5 hours. These traces you can communicate with friends and use for future planning. (One example - there are traces available for all the classical gravel passes on the France/Italy border and also several very interesting gravel road traces from the Italy/Slovenia border!)

fcasado said:
Do you really need advanced skills to use the 276C?
No. It's the other way around - the advanced user needs a 276C. There are really no significant differences in the user interfaces of the different Garmin models. The problem is only that the StreetPilots have some stupid limitations.

HMR said:
You will be happy with either the Quest2 or the 276C. But you should avoid the StreetPilot models. This because the internal memory for routes & traces is insufficient in all StreetPilots. The 276C is better than the Quest2 in this respect but the Quest2 is still OK.

Why is this so important? Three main reasons. One is that in a StreetPilot you can almost not fit in the routes UK - South Italy back & forth. Forget having alternative routes with you. The second is that in a 276C you can store up to 15 traces (in addition to the routes). Traces you can use as routes where the maps are poor. And the maps are often poor in the rural areas you want to ride! Third reason is that a 276C can record a trace of your riding during several weeks. A StreetPilot can only log 4-5 hours. These traces you can communicate with friends and use for future planning. (One example - there are traces available for all the classical gravel passes on the France/Italy border and also several very interesting gravel road traces from the Italy/Slovenia border!)

No. It's the other way around - the advanced user needs a 276C. There are really no significant differences in the user interfaces of the different Garmin models. The problem is only that the StreetPilots have some stupid limitations.

HMR, much appreciated mate :clap

Now the things are getting a bit clearer!!!

Thanks a lot

fcasado,

HMR is very strong in his views, and may well put you off a more suitable unit. His comments about tracks are well made, but do you really need them? Do you know what they are, and why they can be useful? I suspect not, because it is a 'power user' function.

He says;

'The 276C is, by far, the best MC navigator available for the users who love riding on small curvy countryside roads .......' No, it's not. Even the baby i3, if used carefully, can be used to ride those country roads. The Streetpilot & Quest models are perfectly suited for these kind of roads. Oh, and they come with the maps too. The Tom Tom sounds good as well, but I don't know this model.

'The problem is only that the StreetPilots have some stupid limitations.' Wow!

'in a StreetPilot you can almost not fit in the routes UK - South Italy back & forth.' Twaddle. I have an old SPIII, and it is perfectly capable of fitting in that route, and many others.

'the advanced user needs a 276C'. Double twaddle.

These discussion often degenerate in to a pi**ing competition between users of different models. The only reason I have posted, is that HMR's strong views might make you purchase a very unsuitable GPS. The 276 has its plus points, but then so do the others. You won't go far wrong by sticking to the mainstream 2610, 2720 or Quest/Quest 2 units from Garmin, and the TT Rider must be worth a close look.

'Now the things are getting a bit clearer!!!' Maybe :(

best of luck

chasr said:
fcasado,

HMR is very strong in his views, and may well put you off a more suitable unit. His comments about tracks are well made, but do you really need them? Do you know what they are, and why they can be useful? I suspect not, because it is a 'power user' function.

He says;

'The 276C is, by far, the best MC navigator available for the users who love riding on small curvy countryside roads .......' No, it's not. Even the baby i3, if used carefully, can be used to ride those country roads. The Streetpilot & Quest models are perfectly suited for these kind of roads. Oh, and they come with the maps too. The Tom Tom sounds good as well, but I don't know this model.

'The problem is only that the StreetPilots have some stupid limitations.' Wow!

'in a StreetPilot you can almost not fit in the routes UK - South Italy back & forth.' Twaddle. I have an old SPIII, and it is perfectly capable of fitting in that route, and many others.

'the advanced user needs a 276C'. Double twaddle.

These discussion often degenerate in to a pi**ing competition between users of different models. The only reason I have posted, is that HMR's strong views might make you purchase a very unsuitable GPS. The 276 has its plus points, but then so do the others. You won't go far wrong by sticking to the mainstream 2610, 2720 or Quest/Quest 2 units from Garmin, and the TT Rider must be worth a close look.

'Now the things are getting a bit clearer!!!' Maybe :(

best of luck

Well, he's been showing the pro's about the 276C, and I know there're some Cons as well and someone might turn up and point them out! However for whom doesn't know much about the whole thing (me :D ) it's a good start!

That's why I wanna read as much as possible before I buy and I do appreciate every single comment! :clap

Thanks a lot chasr

chasr said:
I had an SP3 until recently. It's a great machine. So are the other StreetPilots. The StreetPilots are sufficient for 95% of all users and in some situations even better than the 276C. In other threads PanEuropean has made many relevant comments about this.

My comment in the previous post above apply only to the rather extreme enthusiast and not to the normal user.

So why did I replace my StreetPilot with a 276C? Because I was unable to upload my routes, including alternative routes, from Sweden to Italy to it. "Route memory full" :nenau

:)

fcasado said:
That's why I wanna read as much as possible before I buy and I do appreciate every single comment! :clap
I suggest that you take a look at all posts made by PanEuropean regarding the 2610/2720. His opinion is somewhat different from mine. :cool:

HMR said:
I suggest that you take a look at all posts made by PanEuropean regarding the 2610/2720. His opinion is somewhat different from mine. :cool:

LOL, I know...Actually from those comments I found out that he prefers the 2610 and quest over the 276C, and that's why I wanted to know a bit more!

Why is it a lot easier to gather information about the 2610/Quest then the 276C, even on the garmin web site.

Anyway, I'll keep reading and reading....

fcasado said:
LOL, I know...Actually from those comments I found out that he prefers the 2610 and quest over the 276C, and that's why I wanted to know a bit
He's right in his opinion. And I'm probably right also. The 2610 is a stronger "navigator" and therefore probably better in urban areas. While the 276C is a stronger "moving map" and better in rural areas.

I've used my StreetPilot III over 40000 km on small countryside roads. And I was extremely satisfied with it. Most of todays Garmin models are better so therefore my guess is that you will be happy no matter what model you choose. As long as you choose a Garmin that is. The reason for choosing a Garmin is that you, with your user profile, need the PC program MapSource.

All models have different stupid limitations. You should choose the one that won't limit your usage. The Quest and the Quest2 are safe choises for the newbee since their limitations are not so easilly reached.

Negative issues with other models are -

- The map in 2720 can't be updated so it will soon get outdated. Limitations in route and trace memory.
- The 2610 has limitations in route and trace memory. No zoom buttons!
- The 276C is quite expensive when the preferred amount of map memory is included.

Good luck!

A few more details & corrections of my previous posts: :eek:

- From Garmin support I found out that YES, it will be possible to update the preloaded maps of Quest2 and 2720 in the future. Good news! :)

- I also found out that NO, the new more compact NT map will not be available to older units as Quest, 276C and SP3. Bad news! :(

- And, important, full postcode search is only available in the new NT map. Bad news. If this is important for you you should avoid the 276C and instead look at Quest2 or SP2720. :(

Still not clear to me if the SP2610 will be compatible with the new map format and if it will support full postcode search. :nenau

HMR said:
- I also found out that NO, the new more compact NT map will not be available to older units as Quest, 276C and SP3. Bad news! :(

- And, important, full postcode search is only available in the new NT map. Bad news. If this is important for you you should avoid the 276C and instead look at Quest2 or SP2720. :(

Still not clear to me if the SP2610 will be compatible with the new map format and if it will support full postcode search. :nenau

Dear me, thats poor news... :(

HMR said:
- The map in 2720 can't be updated so it will soon get outdated.
:yikes

For real?

Who's going to spend all that money on something that is not updateable?

And what were Garmin thinking :nenau

I've been considering updating from the Navigator (SPIII) and liked the idea of the traffic update feature on the 2720 but if I can't update the maps then that's out the window!

HMR said:
A few more details & corrections of my previous posts: :eek:

- From Garmin support I found out that YES, it will be possible to update the preloaded maps of Quest2 and 2720 in the future. Good news! :)

I might get a Quest 2...seems to suit me best!
HMR, thank a lot for all the info :thumb

schiannini said:
:yikes

For real?

Who's going to spend all that money on something that is not updateable?

And what were Garmin thinking :nenau

I've been considering updating from the Navigator (SPIII) and liked the idea of the traffic update feature on the 2720 but if I can't update the maps then that's out the window!

HMR said:
- From Garmin support I found out that YES, it will be possible to update the preloaded maps of Quest2 and 2720 in the future. Good news!

Back
Top Bottom