What system is the best?

I’ve rung Garmin and confirmed I won’t have a full post code search with V8, on my 276c. :(
So, I’ve registered with them I’m not happy with that, I recommend you do the same, maybe there’s something they can do if pushed a little… :rocketwho

Ring:
Garmin UK 0870 8501241

Good luck with that. I was surprised that the software didn't have fast food places like MacD's in it and on enquiring was told that there was no interest from UK customers.

???

Ola Fernando...

Thanks for that - I should have read it through better.

Cambridge? You don't ride the Italian registered GS do you? Or the silver one that's often outside the Cambridge Arms?

schiannini said:
Ola Fernando...

Thanks for that - I should have read it through better.

Cambridge? You don't ride the Italian registered GS do you? Or the silver one that's often outside the Cambridge Arms?

Unfortunately not :mmmm But have seen both!!! :thumb

Am looking for one, (1100 97-99) BTW, Do you know someone in the area that might be selling one?

Mine will be in front of the Internet Cafe on Hills Rd when I buy it! :D

Cheers

Tomtom cheap easy to use keeps it's signal. Garmin slow to update will not hold a signal and to get a 3d display not cheap.

Need I say more ??

Bod said:
Tomtom cheap easy to use keeps it's signal. Garmin slow to update will not hold a signal and to get a 3d display not cheap.

Need I say more ??

CHEAP????????????????????????????????????? :eek:

Had no probs with my Garmin except that the "find" facility for addresses is useless. Put in a town in the UK, then start to type in the road and you will often get a list of Italian or French rtoads. And if you have a house name or an industrial estate etc (ie no number) then you are stuffed.

fcasado said:
CHEAP????????????????????????????????????? :eek:
Yes cheap how much is a Garmin with mounts and 3D and full maps over £1000 ?? Mind you, you don't have a signal as soon as you turn into a road with a two houses in it so why the need with 3d with the garmim unit ? sorry just went past the turn off again because the Garmin unit was still trying to figure out what is going on. Yes the TomTom is cheap fast and by far the better unit.

ebbo said:
I’ve rung Garmin and confirmed I won’t have a full post code search with V8, on my 276c. :(
So, I’ve registered with them I’m not happy with that, I recommend you do the same, maybe there’s something they can do if pushed a
What we really need is a new 276C. Maybe a 286C?

- Routing technology from 2720 incl post codes, pay zon avoidance, speed camera warnings, etc.

- 10 times bigger route memory.

- 10 times bigger track memory.

- Bigger screen with higher contrast.

- Built in 2 GB, user updatable, map memory.

Everything above is known, existing & inexpensive technology. Please Garmin, give it to us! We don't need preloaded maps, voice, touch screen nor pseudo 3D bullshit. That for amateurs. Give us the real thing! :p

ebbo said:
Touring Europe with your Tomtom Rider are we Sir, you need extra mapping, walk this way… France (alone) is £87 all of Europe is £169

That’s what makes buying a GPS such a mine field… :(

Gamin gets my vote :thumb

Download it FOC! This IS the internet!

fcasado said:
Unfortunately not :mmmm But have seen both!!! :thumb

Am looking for one, (1100 97-99) BTW, Do you know someone in the area that might be selling one?

Mine will be in front of the Internet Cafe on Hills Rd when I buy it! :D

Cheers

Sorry - I only know someone who was selling a black 650 GS (it might have gone by now) very tidy bike but not an 11xx. I'll let you know if I hear of one though.

I've been playin with Tom Tom 5 on a PDA, and the limitations make it virtually unusable for what I want!

Trying to pre-plan routes so that you can take in specific roads is a nightmare, as you can only do some pre-planning with the satellite reciever functioning...

No PC options
No logging options

Got to be a Garmin, I think I've decided on a Quest 2! (maybe) Just saving up ready to buy one!

Anyone want to buy an iPaq and satellite reciever?

schiannini said:
Sorry - I only know someone who was selling a black 650 GS (it might have gone by now) very tidy bike but not an 11xx. I'll let you know if I hear of one though.

That would be great!Thanks a lot :thumb

IMHO, both Garmin and Tom Tom both have much to say for them.

I used Garmin City Select via my 60CS last year touring Europe and found two major problems, the biggest being I couldn't get all the maps I needed into the memory, I also had to carry a laptop (which fortunately doubled up as photo backup). If you were space limited then this seems a difficult option. Also I found that City Select would get me to the area I wanted to go to but often not the precise location.

Have recently used TomTom 5 on an ipaq in Spain (in a car not bike) and found it to be excellent. Directed me to the precise location everytime. It never once let me down. I also found the maps easier to read and when joined with the voiceover, I would imagine that when riding then they'd be better than Garmin. I would conceed though it is impossible to plan routes on the TomTom.

The biggest problem is not TomTom but the lack of waterproofing on the ipaq.

So when I go touring into Europe later in the year, which one............got to be TomTom. Would give it 8/10 Garmin 6/10

Any use to anyone?????

Back
Top Bottom