Best lid for a GS ?

Well, I have a collection of helmets, probably more than a dozen. Still trying for that elusive combination of lightweight, good visibility low noise etc.

I still like the schuberth idea with the flip down sun visor. Behind the fairing on my Venture the concept is no noisier than any ther helmet, so I guess it depends on the aerodynamics of the bike you're riding. I have just acquired a schuberth carbon fibre helmet with the sun visor (not flip front) and the new BMW carbon fibre that weighs in at around 950 grams.

The BMW is the most comfortable full face helmet probably due to the light weight. The schuberth is not far behind in the comfort stakes but has much better visibility. However, both have the same anti-fog coating which is not as good as the visors on the concept. Given the extortionate price of both helmets, I would have expected something better.

In the US the car manufacturers are experimenting with a new material for bumbers. The guys at Kisan Technologies (electronic gizmo's for bikes) are working on a helmet design using this new material and incorporating bluetooth technology for sound systems etc in it. Should be ultra lightweight yet with decent protection levels. Also, the target price for it would be about $4-500.

I am considering buying one of these Arai Tour X lids at the moment, I tried it on and it seems very snug but the £300 tag is a bit high for me. Anyone have anymore details/reports on one of these?

A BMW Carbon Flip Front of course..............:D

Yeesss...I know, Sad Git..........;)

It's especially quiet with a certain type of Ear Plug too..:thumb

CC

:cool:

Attachments

• carbon small.jpg
    carbon small.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 126
Re: Re: GPA Helmets ...any more info

Mike O said:
Podger, I had a good look at one of these helmets at a bike shop in Calais last year.
I can honestly say it was one of the worst built pieces of shit I've ever seen.
The 'retractor' mechanism for the chin piece was awkward and sloppy, the catches were flimsy (of 3 helmets in the shop, all had at least one broken catch) and the lock that secures the two halves of trhe chin piece together was loose, allowing the whole thing to rattle.
There is no way I'd trust the safety of my bonce to anything which exuded the level of general crappiness that the GPA did...

Mike:)

ps Are you hard of hearing or something? - why the large bold type? :confused:

Mike , OK thanks for that, it must be a cheap copy of the French police one.......and no re; the bold type ,I'm not hard of hearing , just blind and without my glasses on I can't see what I've written......it'll come to you one day !! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom