Dell Laptops - Any good?

<<Mark_C>>

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My old man is looking for a new Laptop. He's after a real basic one with a minimal spec. He only uses a PC occasionally for e-mail and a bit of browsing. He doesn't have or want broadband at the mo, but that might change in time. He'll probably get a digital camera at the same time, but will just want to view his pics and probably burn them to CD etc etc. Not exactly a power user. To put this in context, his current machine is a 133MHz pentium 1 with 32Mb ram!!!!

I've seen this advertised in the paper today:- http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/nb_essentials?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs
the middle one for £339 would probably suit him.

Is Dell any good? Any better deals out there he should know about??

Dells are fine, my own personal preference is for the IBM, but they tend to be a bit more expensive.

If he's looking to do lots of photo management I would get extra memory, which I would suggest you get from Crucial Memory rather than Dell.

My photo folder is just getting up to 20GB after 2 years, so you may want to look at the drive size...

Well, Macs are best, but I use a Dell Lapdog at work and it's pretty solid on performance, reliability and functionality.

You could do a lot, lot worse (like a Sony!). :confused:

walti said:
If he's looking to do lots of photo management I would get extra memory, which I would suggest you get from Crucial Memory rather than Dell.

Raed the ad first next time! "free double mammories"

dell get my vote great machines, great service back up if you have any probs i use them at home and also at work. whilst your out and about have a look how many shops / business use them they all cant be wrong :thumb

I've had five Dell laptops between work and home and I really can't fault any of them. Dell would be my first port of call if I were in the market.

Dave

DELL are tops. (DELL customer services are 'nice but dim')

HP/Compaq laptops in my experience, seem to fall apart..

IBM are heavy and eat batteries, and can be expensive if you upgrade.

If you are considering the digital photo route, invest in an external drive. As another post on here says, 20GB in 2 years. Sounds about identical to me, so assume that's average.

However, the recommendation for the external drive is not because of extra capacity, but for backup purposes. Many people do not realise that their life memories can be lost, so backup regularly, and dont keep the external drive in the laptop bag, just in case it get nicked from the boot of your car...

250GB usb disk drives are perfectly adequate, and cvan easily be purchased for under a 100 quid...

One thing has almost been a constant in windows based computing. You will always run out of disk space and memory... or is that two :)

Happy shopping....

Do NOT get a Sony. Mine had been away for 9!! weeks to be repaired (had for 6 months before that). When I got it back, 3 days later the backlight went off. Junk.

Having bought wor lass a Dell laptop last year for Chrimbo I'd now think twice before I'd but another. It does everything it says on the tin but the build quality is a bit placky especially the keyboard and "scratch n sniff" mouse. In the year that we've owned it the motherboard failed twice (same fault with on board power supply going short) and now the usb ports have died.
I prefer Toshiba's for build quality though they tend not to be as cheap as Dells. You pays yer money and makes yer choice.

PS forgot to add the 1st one I ordered got nicked in transit (from the shippers depot!?) and 2nd ones monitor didnt work.

I agree Dell's are gr8, good prices, good product. :thumb

I am also glad to see others having problems with sony, I thought it was just me, it was in the shop, for 3mths of the 5mths i had it, they still did'nt fix it (5 key kept working by itself) Got the money back in the end, total crap :spitfire

Shep

IainMac said:
I prefer Toshiba's for build quality though they tend not to be as cheap as Dells. You pays yer money and makes yer choice.

We use (or rather did - IBM Thinkpads are the current model) Toshiba Tecra laptops at work and mine has had two motherboards in three years, and many others have suffered the same problem.

They like Dells at our Chinese factory, but then the back-up is great for them - the Dell factory is in the same town (Kunshan near Shanghai) :D

Back
Top Bottom