Spain

James Bryan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Later this year we are planning to spend two weeks touring through Espania . I'd be most grateful if fellow members could let me have any recommended routes ; principally north - south , the only givens are Santander and Seville , the bit in between is open for sugestions ! Thanks , James

Hi James, firstly do you intend to remain in Spain or venture into Portugal ? We went from Santander down to Lisbon last year. ?

Gazza -- We intend to depart Santander and visit Seville at some stage before returning via Santander two weeks later . The interim is totally unscripted , our only "task" being to spend some time looking for/at possible Spanish houses or smallholdings for sale and enjoying ourselves - so Portugal is an option . -- James

James,

Some 50 miles west of Santander there's a region you shouldn't miss :
the Picos d'Europa. This a very nice mountain-area, with a lot of nice
roads (also some gravel-roads).
A few years ago I spent a week in exploring the mountains,
riding and walking. I put up my tent near Potes, on a camping ran by two
"English" speaking elderly ladies. Good place, beautiful situated
(terras above the river) and cheap restaraunt, good showers ect.
This camping is situated a few miles down the road from Potes to Fuenta De at
the right side of the road along a river.
You can make a 350 km daytrip by mc around the Picos, which is really worthwhile!
Some things to see in the Picos:
- the cable lift at Fuenta De, 800 meters up in a few minutes, with an excellent view
on the summit overlooking the whole area, while vultures circle above and around you.
- Garganta de Cares, a gorge which runs all the way through the mountains, sometimes only
1 meter wide with quite high walls!
- The Desfiladero de la Hermida, the gorge you pass when coming from the coatal road over San Vincente
to Potes.
- The Punto de San Glorio, a 1600m mountain pass.

Well there was enough to see to keep me busy for a week!

Top tips so far, he's a couple of others. Bev & I went To Portugal and back last year too.
See if you can make sense of the following out-takes lifted from my diary that I was going to post on the site but never got around to - can forward it if helpful.

24-Aug-01 Sta Marina de Valdeon to Pola de Allande 168m

Psada de Valdeon, LE244, N625 to Riano, N621 to Sta Olaja de la Vargon, Bonar, C626 La Robla, C623 Villablino, 631to Cangas de Narcea, A15/AS14 Pola de Allande

Lot of improvement sections going on last year - but if finished this summer - a treat !

25-Aug-01 Pola de Allande to Santiago de Compostela 152m

Pola de Allanda, AS14 to Grandes de Salme, AS28 to C630 to Lugo., N540/547 to Santiago

More of the same beautiful roads

Fisterre is quite a nice spot with some varied shore roads and great restuarants and only a day ride out of Santiago de Compostela

If you go to Portugal (north) and want to get aback across to Bilbao way the following is one of the best roads I've ever ridden ! Had to stop occassionally to calm meself !

30-Aug-01 Porto to Benavente 262m
Porto - Braga, N103 Chaves, N532, A52 to Benavente

The road from Braga to Chaves was blisteringly good. Fine condition climbing up through small hamlets until a vista of the far barren peaks of the Serra da Penda Geres lined the horizon. The road had been recently re-surfaced which certainly added to it's charms, and this an area we both said we'd return to, lots of facilities too.

And to finish - quick pic of why the recommendations for the Pico's are worth it ! (enough said above - I concur with it all)

Attachments

• mvc-452f.jpg
    mvc-452f.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 446
Some trail riding pics of the Picos De Europa from 1998

Attachments

• dadbabyavatar.gif
    dadbabyavatar.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 397
Remember the view - Fritz
You have to check it out - Jim
Trail riding @ 6000-7000 feet !!!!!!!!! Above the cloud base - mega experience riding through drizzle @ village level , through the clouds and into the sun above cloud - like an airliner does - one of my best-ever biking memories and experiences by far - even though I was on my Honda.

Attachments

• montage16.jpg
    montage16.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Fritz , Zwerver and John . -- Thank you all for the very helpful replies and yes Fritz , I'd be most interested in the details of your trip .
The photographs may even persuade our sixteen year old son that Spain might just have something to offer - I'll let you know how we get on .
Once again , thanks for all the help - most appreciated ! -- James

Back
Top Bottom