Compressing Digital Photos??

Davey B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Go on then, someone tell me how i compress a 400kb photo down to 155kb or less?
Know how to take pics with the new toy but can't fathom how to put a photo up on the site.
Help please?

Assuming you don't have any photo imaging software go to www.irfanview.com & download the imaging software, which is then fairly easy to use.

Alternatively, if you don't want the hassle, e-mail me the original pic....bmw@dutchman.org.uk

I'll compress it & return it to you a couple of minutes later.

Dutch

Most digital cameras come with some sort of imaging software such as Photoshop Elements.

This should give you the option of resizing yor photo down to something like 600x450 etc and/or saving the photo with a higher jpeg compression. Either should result in a smaller file size, just make sure you don't over-write the original!!

In Photoshop Elements (and probably other packages) look for "Save for Web" or similar.

Then you can play with the resolution/compression etc while seeing the actual difference on screen.

You can usually get a large size reduction with negligable degradation in quality (on screen at least).

Iain

Any decent image editing software should be able to do this.

The easiest way to reduce the file size is to save the file in the correct file format. Digital cameras and scanners tend to give you a .bmp file but if you can save as .jpg the file size will be much smaller.

Secondly, you can resize the image. Make sure that the image is being displayed on screen at 1:1 scale (full size). This will probably be bigger than the entire screen. Then resize the image (smaller) to the size that you would like it to be displayed.

Finally, change the resolution. You only need a high resolution for photo quality printing. For internet images 100 dpi should be fine.

I use an old version of Paint Shop Pro which supports all these features. I'm sure most software these days will be able to do the same.

internet images

standard resolution for web images is 72dpi

so saving images any higer is not really worth the effort,,

and for printing 300 dpi is the normal high setting on good printers unless you wnat to pay huge money for 1200 dpi printers..

i dont see the point of buying very expensive digital cameras worth hundreds of pounds to transfer images onto your pc to ve viewed at 72dpi..

i have 2 digital cameras and a digital video camera which is broadcast quality.. its great but i usually compress the video down to mpg for web use..

a cheap digital camera is fine you can get usb @almost disposabel digital cameras for 20 to 50 pounds..

very handy for bieng out n about, your not worried if yuou lose, drop or damage it and they take great pictures..

regards

pthagonal

The 'dpi' has nothing to do with image size, it's the total number of pixels that determines file size. The Dots Per Inch controls nothing more than the display/print density of the image for a given pixel count.

A 1024x768 image at 72dpi will have the same file size as a 1024x768 image at 300dpi, only the resulting printed image will be different.

Whilst 72dpi is the usual value for displaying on a monitor, an increasing number of displays can handle up to 95dpi. As for printers that can handle print densities greater than 300dpi, virtually every modern printer over £150 can handle 1440 - although it is true that the human eye will have difficulty telling the difference between the two.

Back
Top Bottom