Garmin Waypoint Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to change the 'name' column en masse?

Rather than a number for each Maccy D I'd rather it said MacDonalds etc when you point at it to highlight the waypoint. Otherwise I may end up at a Burger King and that would never do :rolleyes:

Whatton said:
I'm spending a bit of time converting a load of waypoint files into Garmin compatable files. I've done a few and I'll attach them so you can download them.

A very important one first :thumb

logo_mcdo.jpg

I suggest that this thread become a Sticky - excellent stuff Kev. :thumb

Brill!

Fantastic - especially the French hotels one (IBIS / F1 etc) priceless!

Norwegian camp sites?????

Cheers

Mark

Whatton said:
There is no copyright holder for the lists of co-ordinates used. The original compiler of the lists made them freely available on the internet in another form.

I've taken those lists and converted them into a useable format for Garmin GPS units. They aren't being sold or being used for comercial gain they just being made available now in another format :)

Ahh.. ok.. I had half a thought that perhaps you had opened some Garmin maps with one of the editors and gleaned the POI's out of them.

Sorry if it sounded like an accusation.

Al...

araspitfire said:
Sorry if it sounded like an accusation.

Al...

No problem Al :thumb

What I would like is someone to verify a couple of the French hotel locations.

Does anyone now the exaxt location of one or two of the Ibis or F1's? If so is the way point in my file acurate enough to find it?

IBIS Limoges

Whatton said:
No problem Al :thumb

What I would like is someone to verify a couple of the French hotel locations.

Does anyone now the exaxt location of one or two of the Ibis or F1's? If so is the way point in my file acurate enough to find it?

The IBIS in Limoges (central) is ~69 feet off (using the ruler tool) from the waypoint I made outside when I was there, so I'd say it was pretty good!!!

Again - F'ing great thread - why isn't it sticky yet????

Cheers

Mark

EDIT - just checked the one in Le Puy-en-Velay, and it's Bang On, but the wrong side of the road (if you see what I mean - directly opposite). So I'd say the IBIS ones are fine to be able to find the hotels.

markie_wales said:
Fantastic - especially the French hotels one (IBIS / F1 etc) priceless!

Norwegian camp sites?????

Cheers

Mark

Found a few Norwegian Sites.......

logo1.gif

Attachments

• Campsites Norway.gdb
    1.4 KB · Views: 286
Twotter said:
Another vote of thanks from me and another vote for WW1 poi's please if that's possible.

I've found a few in Belgiuim, mainly Museums but some memorials and battlefields I think.....

logo_slash.jpg

Attachments

• WWI The Great War Belgium.gdb
    2.8 KB · Views: 435
Heres a few UK Motor sport venues........

combe50logo.gif

Attachments

• Motorsport Venues UK.gdb
    2.3 KB · Views: 397
Fantastic job Whatton now my question & please be gentle with me only had my 2610 a couple of years :)
I understand how to save the points to my garmin folder on the pc no problem :clap so then what do I do ,download the file to the unit as if it were a route so say I wanted a BMW dealer i would click on the bmw dealer route so to speak & magnify until I find said dealer then if I wanted to go to it from my present location make up a route start point present location end point find on map & make route this way hope this makes sense & I bet if the truth be known a few others on here wondered the same :)

:beerjug: Ian

red rocket said:
Fantastic job Whatton now my question & please be gentle with me only had my 2610 a couple of years :)
I understand how to save the points to my garmin folder on the pc no problem :clap so then what do I do ,download the file to the unit as if it were a route so say I wanted a BMW dealer i would click on the bmw dealer route so to speak & magnify until I find said dealer then if I wanted to go to it from my present location make up a route start point present location end point find on map & make route this way hope this makes sense & I bet if the truth be known a few others on here wondered the same :)

:beerjug: Ian

You use them as you would any waypoint you've created yourself.

You could transfer all the waypoints in a file to your unit if you want and then use them as a destinations when creating routes on the unit. Or you could use them to create routes using Mapsource on your PC then transfer just the route to your GPS.

I don't know how much you know about routing and up-loading waypoints and routes to your unit so it's hard to work out what it is you need to know.

They're waypoints that can be used in lots of ways :thumb

Whatton said:
You use them as you would any waypoint you've created yourself.

You could transfer all the waypoints in a file to your unit if you want and then use them as a destinations when creating routes on the unit. Or you could use them to create routes using Mapsource on your PC then transfer just the route to your GPS.

I don't know how much you know about routing and up-loading waypoints and routes to your unit so it's hard to work out what it is you need to know.

They're waypoints that can be used in lots of ways :thumb

Basically my point is this if I'm touring europe & I want to take all the bmw dealers with me how many way points can I store on the unit just downloaded the uk ones and there seems a heck of a lot :)

red rocket said:
Basically my point is this if I'm touring europe & I want to take all the bmw dealers with me how many way points can I store on the unit just downloaded the uk ones and there seems a heck of a lot :)

I haven't got a 2610, perhaps someone who has can tell you how many waypoints it holds. I'm sure it would say somewhere in the manual that came with it :thumb

Red Rocket, 2610 Waypoints: 500 with name and graphic symbol

What a fantastic resource, thanks for you efforts. Any chance you can do a file for Youth Hostels (YHA)?

Cheers

What am i doing wrong?

My mapsource wont open it...V7 i'm running and it wont open your files :-(

What version of Mapsource are you runing?

.gdb files should work for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom