M42 Speed Cameras

BTBR

Compulsive tinkerer........!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have received some intelligence from a reasonably dependable source that the new digital automated tracking system between Junctions 3 and 7b on the M42 are scheduled to go live on 1 April (not an early April Fool!)

There are 276 digital cameras set to a 2mph tolerance. You will see no flash - the first you will know will be when the £60 fine and 3 points land on your doormat.

Dont know how true it is, but its worth a warning just in case!!

BTBR

With the number of camera's cropping up, especially this type of 'stealth' camera where you don't even see a flash. What happens if you are very photogenic in a single trip? - you've had no notice / warning, and with a 'small' tolerance' you could easily lose your license. Does anyone know if there is any specific direction or policy on this?

At least when you were pulled by the boys in blue, you'd had your warning :eek: (stern talking to and probably a ticket) so at least you'd know to calm down.

thauma said:
With the number of camera's cropping up, especially this type of 'stealth' camera where you don't even see a flash. What happens if you are very photogenic in a single trip? - you've had no notice / warning, and with a 'small' tolerance' you could easily lose your license. Does anyone know if there is any specific direction or policy on this?

Yes. You lose your licence. Simple.

And Transport for London are replacing (initially) ten of their wet film cameras with digital Red Speed cameras - £50k a pop. From picture to fine hitting your doormat the whole damn system is automated. There's even an enclosing machine that folds the fine demands and puts 'em in the envelope.

Ker-chinggggggggggggggg.

To be fair it's been a long time since I've seen anywhere near 70 mph on that particular stretch of highway!

I think the local scamerati will clean up along there. There's a lethal combination of variable limits, high traffic volumes and a lot of junctions. People will be setting appropriate speeds (mostly...) which will be just above the limits. That means drivers and riders will have to spend a lot of time and effort making sure they're bang-on the limit as their speed will naturally creep up. OK for the guys who do it everyday and know where they're going, but visitors will be looking for junctions and where to go, not at their speedos. That's a winner - no local voters pissed off, lots of cash raked in.

Droopy Dick said:
In as far as manufacturers still produce speedos which are allowed a 10% error, it would sem problematic to set a camera to go off at 72mph.

That what I thought, within 2mph would mean 79mph or less in a 70 limit? :nenau

Back
Top Bottom