A great weekend in the Donegal hills

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
The weather forecast for the weekend called for lots of rain on Friday and Sunday, with some sunshine and showers on Saturday. Not the best outlook for a weekend away on the bike in Donegal which is very like Scotland with the unpredictability of, and rapid changes in the weather being the norm.

Friday was indeed a wet, grey miserable day and though we delayed our departure time until 3-30pm there was little change. We made pretty good progress on our 93 mile run from Loughbrickland to Ramelton and arrived in just under two hours.

A few GSers had arrived before us. Jockser, Dellis, Ron on the RT and Trev McDev greeted us. Tuned-In was there too, but didn't come outside as he hadn't brought any shoes to change into from his bike boots. Dodgy fashion items. :eek:
IMG_0002.jpg

Typically, he didn't seem to be too bothered. :D
IMG_0003.jpg

At about 7-30pm we headed off down the town for dinner.

Jockser, Trev and Tuned at the grub;
0005.jpg

Upon our return found that several other Tossers had arrived in the meanwhile.
Ogmios, his good lady Linda and Blade;
0021.jpg

Dellis, RCC54 and Whatton;
IMG_0019.jpg

Everyone received an official welcome from Tuned-In; :confused: :eek:
0024.jpg

Several folks wondered at Jockser stimulating his nipples whilst talking to Errol. :nenau Although to be fair it was probably the effect Emma was having on him. :D :p
IMG_0018.jpg

It was still early when we turned in for the night at 2am (the bar was still open) and it was a great relief when Saturday dawned bright and DRY :bounce1 Whatton and myself were out for a wee dander at about 8am and the bright morning left us hoping for a good day to come.
IMG_0030.jpg

Although when we returned to breakfast he could barely stay awake. Bit softcore these English chaps. :rolleyes:
IMG_0041.jpg

It was 9-45am by the time we were ready for the off and the plan was for a run round Atlantic Drive.
atlanticdrive.gif

Ulysses and his mate Roland who was on an Aprilia Rally Raid along with Jockser getting ready for the off;
IMG_0038.jpg

Og's tidy 100GS;
IMG_0028.jpg

Our first stop was at the viewpoint looking out over Doagh Bay;
IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Next we headed bach inland along Glen Lough and up into higher ground for a short stop at Lough Reelan, before the nice run along Lough Salt. Hopefully Jockser will be able to post the short video clip of the bikes riding through there.
IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Lough Reelan;
IMG_0061.jpg

The next part of the days run was a spin up around Fanad Head to the lighthouse.
fanaddrive.gif

By now it was a glorious day for the end of March. At Fanad Head Whatton's GPS was giving a reading of 18C !!! :cool: We couldn't believe our luck.

My GS at Fanad Head lighthouse;
IMG_0067.jpg

On Friday evening, and again on Saturday morning, Whatton kept on and on and on about his wish to have fish & chips on a beach, with a pier nearby where he could park his bike and sit and have a nice lunch.

On our way back down from Fanad Head we stopped at Portsalon and parked our bikes on the pier;
IMG_0075.jpg

Went into the local chippy;
IMG_0073.jpg

Then sat on the beach and had a lovely lunch. All 16 of us :) Whatton was delighted. :bounce1 :) Of course we didn't tell him it was a complete freak chance that he got his wish. He thought we had it all planned. :rolleyes: ;)
IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

On the way back to Ramelton, via Knockalla the rain started and became quite heavy, but we didn't mind as we had had six and a half hours of great weather and brilliant roads to keep us amused all day.

We found that even more GSers were arriving when we arrived back at the Lennon Lodge.
The Big Fella and Colm Cummins;
IMG_0079.jpg

Civil, seen here getting a tough time of it from Billy and my wife Mandy;
0076.jpg

Leprechaun and Dibbles came up from Co Monaghan;
IMG_0095.jpg

More than 20 of us went out to eat before returning to the LL where vast amounts of drink was downed. :beerjug: :beer:
Whatton, Leprechaun, Billy and the Foolish Fellow;
0082.jpg

Mandy, Jockser & Ron;
0083.jpg

Jockser, Ron, Dellis, Andy & Sugarcube;
0084.jpg

Foolish Fellow had gotten a puncture on his KTM950 on the way into Ramelton, so the wheel was removed and taken with us to the pub, where it was left propped against the wall. :nenau
IMG_0091.jpg

At about 3am when everyone was rightly pissed it was decided to fix the puncture. :confused:

Dellis offered his expertise, but had plenty of "experts" offering advice of their own. :eek:
IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

Even several GSers couldn't break the bead on the bloody thing. :rolleyes:
IMG_0102.jpg

But eventually the fitters listened to the "experts" :nono
IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

And finally the tube was out to be patched. :thumb
IMG_0110.jpg

In the meantime Trev McDev had nicked my camera. :eek: I can see why now though. :nenau Dirty wee pervert. :eyebrow :tosser
IMG_0094.jpg

Tuned-In was getting worried about retaining his eyebrows;
IMG_0112.jpg

And my mate Pokey rightly determined that Whatton was the source of some very ripe Guinness farts. :nono
0114.jpg

It was after 5-30am when the bar finally closed :eek: and there were some delicate heads and tummys next morning. :barf

Sunday morning turned out to be quite wet at first, so most guys took pot luck as to what time to leave to try to avoid the worst of the rain. Dellis didn't have that luxury though as he had to head for an early evening ferry in Dun Laoghaire. Hope you had a good safe run home mate. :thumb
IMG_0125.jpg

Leprechauns well kept 1100 was ready for the road.
IMG_0122.jpg

In all we had 26 bikes in Ramelton for the event with a total of 32 people. It was great to meet friends and to put faces to names of other fine folk from this site. Thank you all for the effort you put in to making this a memorable weekend. :clap :clap :clap :bow :bow

Unfortunately there were a few mishaps too....... :(

DaveR from Leixlip got knocked off his bike in Omagh by a cage driver who performed an unindicated U-turn. He suffered a broken collarbone and was taken to Omagh hospital to be patched up, before his wife had to drive up collect him. His bike was lifted by the AA who will take it to Duffys on Monday to be repaired.

We would all like to sent our best wishes to DaveR for a speedy recovery.

Tuned-In dropped his bike somewhee on the way over on Friday. Luckily the damage was not too serious to bike or rider.
IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

DavyG arrived up to Ramelton on Sunday morning to discover that his ADV was leaking oil from the bevel box and had to get his mate to come up in a van to collect the bike. Hope you got home safe and sound mate. :thumb

Finally, I would like to thank Sugarcube for his assistance in setting up the weekend and Jockser for leading the second half of the Saturday rideout. Also to Tuned-In for getting some nice stickers made up and for donating profits to charity.
2.jpg

1.jpg

Thanks guys, I couldn't have done it without you. :clap :clap :clap :bow :bow

Great write up & pics of a brilliant weekend Aidan.

The biking was really good & the craic both nights was exceptional. Don't know how you lads do it though - even without taking a drink I'm still knackered !!

It was great to see some of the 'old' faces again as well as a load of new ones - well done for comin' along guys - hope youse enjoyed the Donegal hospitality. For a change the southern contingent outnumbered the northern one (even before we claim the English tossers ! ) - lets try & keep that level of commitment goin' for the summer.

Am really looking forward to Achill now. (Don't forget our 'exclusive booking rights expire this week so if you made the mistake of not coming to Donegal don't compound it by missing Achill !! )

Thanks again Aidan for all the work & also to the long suffering Mandy for the great weather on Saturday !!

Can't get the smilies to work so I'm away to me bed !!

Landed home at 01.40. The rain came down continually but I did stick to my plan of riding the coast road back to Dun Laoghaire. The boat was bouncing around like a cork and the severe crosswinds over Anglesey made the ride from boat, shall we say, interesting. I'm knackered!

Was great to meet you all.

Cheers
Dave

Great write up Aidan :thumb

A class weekend all in all, cheers for putting in all the hard work, sitting on the beach eating our fish and chips just about made the weekend for me, i cant believe how lucky we were with the weather! :D

Good to meet all the lads, and lassies too and i hope everyone made it home safe and sound.

Its gonna take me half the week to recover :beer:

Hope to catch you all again soon

t

Terrific weekend Aidan, thanks for putting it all together :thumb

I'm still wandering around Ireland but I'll put a trip report together when I get back on Thursday :thumb

Excellent pics and write up Aidan, looks like you all had a ball as expected.

Those fish and chips looked great also, when I get me wheels I'll take a run up there :beerjug:

Aidan thank you for organising a great weekend. :clap I really enjoyed it and time permitting, I hope to see you for the Achill weekend.

Thanks Ulysses,

It was our priviledge to have yourself and Roland along.

I hope you had a safe journey home. After being at the bar until 5-30am I think most of us missed your early departure to catch the ferry.

Looking forward to seeing you at Achill. :thumb

A few Memories of mine.

Not clever enough to post the pics 'In-line' hear are a few of mine, no names, but you'll know them :cool:

Attachments

• The Instigator small.jpg
    The Instigator small.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 689
  • Feast in the Sand small.jpg
    Feast in the Sand small.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 668
  • Local talent small.jpg
    Local talent small.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 681
  • Dirty old man small.jpg
    Dirty old man small.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 667
  • rcc54 at it again small.jpg
    rcc54 at it again small.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 684
more :thumb

Attachments

• Stick it anywhere small.jpg
    Stick it anywhere small.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 616
  • 100 Euro Bed small.jpg
    100 Euro Bed small.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 654
  • Ramelton, a bar small.jpg
    Ramelton, a bar small.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 616
  • Langener small.jpg
    Langener small.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 569
  • Langener in a tie small.jpg
    Langener in a tie small.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 623
:nono Boring :clap

Attachments

• Pre Nosh Pic.jpg
    Pre Nosh Pic.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 618
  • The Instigator holding up a Wall small.jpg
    The Instigator holding up a Wall small.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 614
  • What your right hands for.jpg
    What your right hands for.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 631
  • Oim Playing it, not blowing it up..jpg
    Oim Playing it, not blowing it up..jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 559
  • Yer drunken Bum, She only had eyes fer me.jpg
    Yer drunken Bum, She only had eyes fer me.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 659
that's it. :beerjug:

Attachments

• Thanks Cap'n..jpg
    Thanks Cap'n..jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 599
  • Thanks Mrs Cap'n..jpg
    Thanks Mrs Cap'n..jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 610
  • Tuned In OFF..jpg
    Tuned In OFF..jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 691
So you made it home ya drunken langer. :D :D

Surely the best dressed Tosser I have ever seen RCC. :thumb

looks like ya had a great weekend.should have just burned the trooper and went with ya.
cheers,kyle

What an honour it is to make my first post on this most august of web-forums and what a great weekend that was.
I'd like to thank Aidan for being Aidan, the lovely Mandy for being lovely and Jockser for persuading me to go along in the first place.
My thanks also to Seamus (and Mrs Seamus) for their hospitality. Now there's a man who knows how to fill a venue on an off-peak Saturday night!

I suspect a lot of the locals came along because they heard there was a bunch of crazy bikers staying in the hotel, only to find us all sitting quietly in the corner complaining about the volume of the music! And just as the disco reached its peak and all those comely maidens where strutting their stuff to maximum effect, we all ran out of the room to watch the Foolish Fellow fix a puncture!

I think we have more than one lesson to learn from Rob if we can only keep him out of the M*ng* Cl*b.

This must surely be an annual (quarterly?) event.

Regards to all

RtRon

Back
Top Bottom