RHAYADER WEEKEND

TaffyScouser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Many thanks to you all for making this such a great weekend and such a worth while task to organise. Not one bad word to say and not one heard for the whole weekend....top job.
This must be an annual affair I think.

looking cool

A happy man

Attachments

• gs dave.jpg
    gs dave.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 459
doh! forgot the picture

Attachments

• gs vyrnwy.jpg
    gs vyrnwy.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 444
timolgra said:
GS's block the racing line

Well it looks as though yours does,Tim - if i'm not mistaken mate.
Have a good time - did you........???

Got to wait til Easter for my GS w/end fun.

Well done Andy great weekend,should be annual event. Off to get my engine bars now

I had a really good time up until about 180 miles into Saturday.

This is long, by the way, so get a cup of cocoa, sit back and fall asleep.

Half way around a 15 mile circuit of Nant y Moch I suffered a too familiar adverse handling effect.

Bollox, a puncture - no obvious sharp object protruding, lots of cuts.

I rode the next 7 miles or so with an almost deflated tyre. Okay apart from one or two dodgy moments on loose surfaces.

At Ponterwyd on the A44 I decided, after a committee meeting, to whack in a can of TyreWeld. There were so many cuts in the tyre from whatever I had ridden over (nobody remembers any glass, but we crossed a lot of cattle grids and the roads were strewn with flint fragments) that it was not easy to identify where the air was leaking from (as Gerry said, if I had had some tread on the tyre then maybe I would not have had a lacerated tyre).

So, armed with mobile phone and Carole Nash recovery card, I set off back to Abergavenny some 60 miles away. I did reduce my normal speed on the by a significant factor, so rarely exceeded 70mph.

The bike seemed to be handling fine, apart from some weird wobbles across white lines and understeer in corners.

As the bike was handling within acceptable parameters, I decided to take a detour to Brecon as Gerry says they always have Tourance in stock.

Wack, wack, oops. "We did stock them sir, but we had 8 go past their recommended sell by date and threw them away". We can get you one by Tuesday".

Oh well, stick in some more air, starts leaking at 30psi. Only 20+ miles to go so bollox to it, off we go.

So, the wheel is sitting in the boot of my car until I can get to Brecon to have the tyre fitted.

As the tyre was foobarred anyway, the puncture is no big deal. I rode 260 miles on Saturday, a third of that on a flat or partially inflated tyre. I had a bloody good time.

Of course, finding out that I am a riding god that does need need air in my tyres has inflated (da, da, boom, chish) my ego.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Co-ordination

Great weekend Andy. Top everything. Thanks for all your efforts.

Mick :beerjug:

Could only make the Saturday night/Sunday ride but it was a great way to start the new season!
Well done Andy & Gerry - your efforts are very much appreciated. Good to meet up with friends and check out the 'bike spec.
Some new faces - especially 'The Cardiff 3' (A team coming YOUR way one day!), Sean and his new baby ;-)
I think Wessie's post gives you a bit of an idea of these boys - LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS!!!
Enjoyed the roads as always - I think the Taffs must have been well oiled when they lay the tarmac (Or did they know BMW had the GS up their sleeve all them years ago???)
Got home 20.30 Sunday knackered and cold but all the better for it!
Thanks again guys

Jim and Pam

we had 8 go past their recommended sell by date and threw them away

wonder where they threw them :rolleyes:

North of Llanidloes

Arrived after 65 cool miles (as in Temp) and set a pic ambush for the marauding GSers at 0915 Saturday. They eventually snaked down and over the dam and actually stopped to pose for me to take a few more! :D
Enjoyed the ride and company, commiserations to the two that fell over, and hows the HIPPY? Ouch. :mad: You would think that with GPS thingies we need'nt practice our multipoint shunts to retrace false directions (who scared the little old Welsh family and their luvverly daughter by riding by at 90 plus with lights flashing and horn blowing to catch us up then) :confused:
Sad to here about the two that died in north Wales the following day. Ride safely.

Attachments

• rhayader.jpg
    rhayader.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 342
cookie said:
we had 8 go past their recommended sell by date and threw them away

wonder where they threw them :rolleyes:

The claim was that Nat Tyres threw 3 million quids worth of tyres away in 2002 that were overstock items that went past their use by date. I very much doubt the tyres were thrown away, more likely knocked out to discount sellers like http://www.fwr.co.uk/ who always seem to have stock of tyres no longer manufactured.

Having worked for a large company, it is more likely that the stock was recalled to their central distribution point as it had been held in stock at Brecon too long.

Most companies have a stock search system whereby an item on shortage in one branch can be sourced from another branch if they have unallocated stock.

Andy,

Great ride on Saturday and many thanks for organising it, only sorry I couldn't stay Fri & Sat night. May be next time.
Felt real smug plodding back to Cardiff on Saturday evening watching all the "Humpbacks" trying to be Carl Foggarty

Wessie,

Try a treaded tyre next time, they are quiet good at retaining air pressure.

P.S. Glad you got home OK.

Big Thanks

We just want to add our thanks to Andy (& Gerry) for a great weekend, We put more miles on the New "Tweety Pie" (812.6) in one weekend than I did over March.

Great roads if sometimes hard work two up but we survived, and if its on next year we will be back!!!!

Roll on the next meet.

Dave & Val
Plymouth

PS. Are all the GS riders from Cardiff Bonkers?
PPS. It was good to see all the old and new guys & girls at the start of a new years fun.

Re: Big Thanks

Dave & Val said:
PS. Are all the GS riders from Cardiff Bonkers?

Oh yes ... you've not met us all yet either heh heh heh

Retro (Lanrummy boy)

Sorry this posting is late,the elastic band in the back of the computer snapped-and the back up clockwork motor handle had disappeared so...................
Respect to Andy and Gerry for leading and organising-and only getting the route wrong once-or was it twice?
Greetings to all the new faces and friends we made,we did wonder whether we'd "fit",we needn't have worried-you're all as mad us---well almost,see you all soon!
Fantastic route,great company,top bikes-top people and in some of the most spectacular scenery th U.K. has to offer.This event has to be a regular on the calender,only next time we won't stay at "Amityville".Thank you all for a great weekend;-)
For and on behalf of The Gericke Cardiff Posse (or part thereof)
:beerjug:

One road too far

Andy recc'ed it but it was a no - no!

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 117

Back
Top Bottom