City Navigator V8

Andy Davies

Reaction score
Just like London buses they are. You wait for ages for an update DVD to arrive and then two come at once. So if you need one, I've got a spare. Drop me a pm if you're in need!

Andy

Thanks for the interest. DVD going to be on its way to Stevenage today.

Thanks for the interest and glad to help out.

Andy

Same here......must be a Scottish thing.....somebody PM me if they want my spare V8 update disc.....

Cheers

Dutch

I managed to get a spare copy of v8 as well. My mate's tried it on his computer but can't seem to get it unlocked. What's he doing wrong?

Guys, just for the record, there are two versions of CN Europe 8 cartography: One is 'conventional', and the other is 'NT'. The contents of the two versions are exactly identical so far as streets, POIs, and that kind of stuff is concerned, but the file structure is a little bit different.

The very new GPSRs (27xx, 7xxx, and others that support traffic message broadcasts) need the 'NT' cartography, because they can't plot the traffic event on the screen with the conventional cartography. They will work OK with conventional cartography, but they won't support the traffic function.

I have no idea how Garmin identifies the two versions, or even if there are, in fact, two different discs in circulation. It is entirely possible that there is only one disc, and it has both versions on it, and the installation program on the disc is smart enough to take note of what model of GPSR the cartography is being installed on, and select the appropriate files.

The only reason I mention this here is because with all the 'disc-swapping' that has been discussed above, it is possible that someone who ordered an update disk for a SP 25xx might be passing that disc on to someone who has a 27xx or other TMC enabled GPSR. So, if you get your disc secondhand, perhaps take a very careful look at the label of the disc to make sure it is suitable for your GPSR.

Michael

Slightly confused.
Isn't V8 something that I would have to pay for so that I get an unlock code?
If not, if anyone has got a spare one could I please have it.
Mike.

I have a 2610 by the way.

Boxertools:

Yes, it is something you have to pay for. But (here's the reason for your confusion) the normal practice for distributing map updates is that Garmin makes the CD with the new maps available free of charge, and you don't pay for the map update until you actually install the map. By doing things this way, there is no worry about the CD getting lost in the post, etc.

So, what everyone above is doing (with the offers of spare CD's) is just saying that they happen to have more than one of the update CD's, and because the CD itself is of little value (no-one makes any charge for it), they are offering the spares to anyone who would otherwise have to place an order for a free update CD and then wait for it to arrive via post.

Michael

PanEuropean said:
I have no idea how Garmin identifies the two versions, or even if there are, in fact, two different discs in circulation. It is entirely possible that there is only one disc, and it has both versions on it, and the installation program on the disc is smart enough to take note of what model of GPSR the cartography is being installed on, and select the appropriate files.
It's two different discs with two different set of maps and separate unlock codes. I have both on my computer.

A route created in one of them can't be used in the other without first doing a recalculation.

One interesting detail is that both CN8 and CN8 NT can be used with the newer units as Quest2 and SP2720. Older units as SP2610 and 276C can only use the CN8 map and not the CN8 NT map.

HMR said:
...One interesting detail is that both CN8 and CN8 NT can be used with the newer units as Quest2 and SP2720.

Correct - however, just to be sure that no-one encounters any problems as a result of choosing the wrong product, let me stress that the TMC function (traffic reports) will not work unless you are using 'NT' cartography. It is also possible that additional features may be introduced (via firmware update) that will require NT cartography installed in order to function. So - because there is no cost difference between conventional and NT cartography, it's probably a pretty good idea to make sure you are installing NT on the newer units that support it.

Michael

PanEuropean said:
So - because there is no cost difference between conventional and NT cartography, it's probably a pretty good idea to make sure you are installing NT on the newer units that support it.
Right. One very good reason is that full post code search is ONLY available with the new NT map.

PanEuropean said:
The very new GPSRs (27xx, 7xxx, and others that support traffic message broadcasts) need the 'NT' cartography, because they can't plot the traffic event on the screen with the conventional cartography. They will work OK with conventional cartography, but they won't support the traffic function.
Let me get this straight. Does that mean that I could install "NT" cartography on a 2610 and use it with no problems, but wont get the "traffic message broadcasts".

Taff said:
Let me get this straight. Does that mean that I could install "NT" cartography on a 2610 and use it with no problems, but wont get the "traffic message broadcasts".

No.

The NT map will not run on the 2610.

Back
Top Bottom