1200GS screens

Guztav

Hello!

Earlier I was thinking about touratechs Desierto3 but the high cost are making me not as sure as I once were. :nenau

01-044-0800-0_I_01.JPG

So now i was thinking of other screens that will be better then the stock screen, wich shouldnt that hard... :cool:

The MRA screen, does anyone have that one and can tell me if its a good screen?

6088-500x600.jpg

Guztav

what height are you and hwta problems are you having with the standard screen?

There are a number of screens available including:

CEE BAILEYS

SECDEM FROM NIPPY NORMAN

GIVI

I have the secdem screen from Nippy Norman - It's a thicker plastic than the standard and less prone to vibration and is taller and a little wider.

The problems I have is that its still snowy roads were I live and i havnt been riding my 12gs much. But I testrided one last summer and felt that the screen had to be replaced. To much wind and noise... :eek

I am 1.96 meters...

The screens you have posted dosent suit me. Way to ugly and boring... Dont want a big screen, like small ones that seems like a really big one :)

I've an MRA Vario with tobernators (the picture you have there is, i think, of the MRA touring screen with optional lip thing, not the MRA Vario). Its better than standard, but still not wonderful.

It seems to me that if you're reasonably tall, like over 6ft, then you're choices are basically either to go for a flat low screen in sports-bike style, the problem with this is that you're not leaning forward on the GS so at high speeds the wind is pushing you back rather than lifting your body weight as it does on a sports bike; or you go for a larger screen, but as you sit higher on the 12 in relation to the screen than the 1150, you need an absolute barn door of a screen to get the wind over your helmet.

At full stretch the vario manages to direct a stream of air right into the top of my helmet shaking my head around. If i duck right down its very still...

However its much quieter than the standard screen which was my real complaint, and with some messing around i've got a setting which works as well as i could hope for.

I've got some pictures of the bike with the screen, but my usual pic hosting people have disappeared...

jon

Screen on the 1200GS

Don't do anything until you have seen the screen on the new Adventure. It is larger, more solid and better supported - and it has twiddly bits of plastic at the side to deflect currents. It looks as if it has been well thought out and it may go on the standard 1200 - but it will be expensive of course!

Yeah, well how good that screen may be it looks terrible. Nothing that I want to install on my 12GS. But i guess many GS owners will do that, but not me, it has to look good to... :)

:beerjug:

Guztav said:
Yeah, well how good that screen may be it looks terrible. Nothing that I want to install on my 12GS. But i guess many GS owners will do that, but not me, it has to look good to... :)

:beerjug:

Yeah well perhaps your view is crap and the screens look good... :rolleyes:

Asking for advice and then telling us all that our stuff looks crap... :spitfire

I finally got to touch a 12GSA today in the shop today... The Screen (which I've been thinking on for a solution to my buffeting problems), is much nicer looking in the flesh. I agree that it looks kinda big and ungainly in the press photos.

Al...

nadeem said:
Yeah well perhaps your view is crap and the screens look good... :rolleyes:

Asking for advice and then telling us all that our stuff looks crap... :spitfire

Haha! :) So be it, my view is shitty, :D but its still mine and I want my bike to look good in my eyes :cool:

Offcourse the bigger screens are better and protect good. But if I want to compromise comfort and apperence, what screen should i pick?

I guess that the MRA Varioscreen is an option, that one works great on Africa Twin. Anyhow, it shouldnt be that much of a diffrence, I guess :bounce1

What do you guys think?

branche_mtec_variowindschild.jpg

MRA Varioscreen

MRA vario screen

Any chance of some pix of the MRA vario on your 12. At 6' 5" I don't expect the wind to go over my helmet, but I've done 250 miles so far today with the stock screen & feel my arms are two inches longer. Yours obviously fits with Tobinators, but can you tell me if it fouls the bars on full steering lock.
Many thanks
Trevor

Ah the TT word again!.. I ordered a Touratech small screen in March and got told this week they have no idea when they will be available - same for the LED indicators

Patience

"The problems I have is that its still snowy roads were I live and i havnt been riding my 12gs much. But I testrided one last summer and felt that the screen had to be replaced. To much wind and noise... "
I have found very little wrong with the standard screen .........until I am fairly well over the limit (80mph here) however you are quite a bit taller than me (I am only 185cms) and so it is a bit difficult for any of us (comparative midgets) to give advice! I think that the Adventure screen woukld be better but it IS ugly, but so is the whole bike - and when mine is covered in mud it looks even uglier......but just right to me! 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder;' (Now that little 800ST that I saw for the first time today is très mignone.)

pics of the MRA Vario

I think it looks ok - as good as standard and better than the huge secdem things (remind me of the old Polaris fairings that used go on GT550's and the like :) )

Attachments

• IMG_0303 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0303 (Medium).JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 541
or

another...

Attachments

• GS12 004 (Medium).jpg
    GS12 004 (Medium).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 544
Much prettier without the headlamp grille as shown earlier. Is the lining around the upper standard or something you've fitted? It seems to make all the difference to the looks.
Trevor

Hi

the bottom pic has the standard edging that comes with the bike; the top pic has the standard edging plus a pile of crap on the screen (thats optional... :) )

Screen heights etc.

Now here is one of those endless subjects - because we are all different heights and shapes, ride differently, wear different helmets, use different roads etc;etc; we all form our own opinions. I remember when I bought an R100RS (almost 30 years ago.) The previous owner had struggled to fit a better screen and eventually gave up and sold me the bike - after 2,800 miles only! I fiddled around a bit with the different screens & deflectors etc that he had tried and eventually went back to the original screen. I more or less subconsciously adapted my riding style and after a few months I was thoroughly satisfied with the original screen. Looking back I think that the fairing and screen on that bike (I had it for 13 years) was the best I have ever experienced. the only 'drawback' was that crouched behind it the protection from noise and buffeting was so good that I was riding almost flat out - every day! (Yes, you could then!)
So - how does that help? Well I will always say don't be in too much of a hurry to change things; get used to a bike and do a bit of mileage before you start changing anything. (Even if you are 6'5" tall!)

Back
Top Bottom