Making my mind up

Dabba

Reaction score
I took at a standard 1200 last week and was mighty impressed. I've been thinking of changing my 1150 for a while now when it comes up to 3 years old and I just enjoy changing (even though the bike has given me absolutely no reason to).

I'll be out on the adventure next Saturday to help make my mind up and yesterday I decided I'd try out the KTM 990 'just to be sure'. Not sure I wanted to change back to chains and life without heated grips, but I thought I'd give it a go.

The dealer wouldn't let me take it out in the rain though:spitfire. How ridiculous is that. I'd forgotten what life is like away form BMW dealers and even though I might moan about trade-ine price etc. its still a different world. Takes me one step closer to a decision though (I won't be going back) :mmmm

I thought both GS and GSA1200 were fab bikes. Absolutely brilliant. Problem is I though that of the KTM 990 also :eek: . The GSA is not available until next year and I want a bike soonish so it kinda narrows it down.

I, too, am trying to decide which path to take.... :rolleyes:

How did you find the KTM?

990 v 1200

I went for the 990 after owning an 1100GS and doing a test ride on the 1200.
Chains are easy to adjust and you can get heated grips for any KTM.
That said I found the KTM a more engaging bike. Slimmer, more powerful and somehow just more fun. As for the general view point that one buys a GS if you do more road and a KTM if it's dirt, I just can't agree. The 990 excels on tarmac but is slippy with stock Skorpions on wet grass and river pebbles, etc. But excellent on dry tracks. It's a bit noisy, windwise (unadjustable screen). You can get screen extensions but plugs do the job for me. Reliability? Too soon to give an opinion. Needless to say no problems yet. Build quality - some of the plastic bits don't quite butt up perfectly but everything else is pretty much top notch. Much better than BMW, IMVHO.
I got my KTM for just under €11,000 which is way cheaper than a GS and it came with ABS (switchable), handlebar protectors and a KTM ballpoint pen (!). Interestingly my dealer for this 990, is a non-KTM concession - in fact a sole marque Japanese dealer. But, sometimes in France, you can get some weird things sorted.
Anyway, if you tick the boxes and tally up the score and it's equal, go for the KTM if you've never owned one. Life's too short to stick with same make of motorcycle and , in any case, it's nice having an orange bike.

I think you are right about life being too short :) .

Perhaps the future is Orange after all!
Hope the KTM turns out to be a good tourer/commuter. :eek:

All the magazines love the 990 and it may be more fun. But horses for courses, it is no where near as good for 2-up touring and Ride mag for one agred. And what ever you say I think it is more ugly than the GS, that front view!!!!!!!
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Back
Top Bottom