System V Lids

Egon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Help!
I'm on the market for a new lid and can't decide between the BM System V and Schuberth C2.
So far searching the threads here there has been a lot of positive feedback about the C2 but very little about the BM and even some negatives.

Can some of you guys/gals give some advice/experience of them please. :bow

I wanted the C2 mainly because of the sun visor which I thought was a great idea, but I found the helmet uncomfortable on the forehead. Bought a system V and didn't like it to start with - bad misting up and a bit of pressure on the forehead. Dealer swapped the visor on warranty, which improved matters, and the fit is getting better. Wore it back to back with my Arai and the Sys V is much quieter, and now beginning to like it better. I may buy a double-glazed visor sometime to get rid of the misting problem, but not impressed with the price (£66!).
Hope this helps

£66 wont fix the misting . It still does it. I am very happy with mine though. Much lighter/quieter then the previous Bm flip lid.

My original system5 was replaced the day after I bought it due to the chinstrap bursting. Same thing happened on the second helmet after 1 month, but the part was replaced under warranty. So far, minor probs aside, best helmet I've bought and much more quiet.

I have a System 4 and was looking to replace it. Unfortunately they've measured lots of heads to come up with the shape for the System 5...and it's too round. If I get one that's comfortable on the forehead there's too much room at the sides. So I bought a C2, which fits nicely. I like the sun visor too.

What I don't like is the catch for opening the flip front - I can't do it one handed which I can with the 4 and 5. This is annoying as I regularly used to flip the front up - on the move - in certain situations. (Nothing :eek: - just stuff like approaching lights and stuff so I could have a quick word with the pillion at the lights etc). Apart from that, very pleased with it.

just been there

I've just gone through the same process: Result- 1 x system 5 and 1 x tour-X.
I liked the idea of the shuberth but they just didn't seem to fit right. The sun visor was all wobbly and didn't seem to be in the right position and the flip lever is on the side.
At first I was gutted with having spent £280 on the BM lid, it fitted well, was quiet and comfy but it seemed to fog up terribly in the cold or damp :( A new visor seems to have pretty much cured this, the flip works well and is a doddle to use on the move. As for the sun visor, i have a pair of polarised arnette rages which slide into a lid perfect and are better than anything else i've tried :cool:
I needed a second lid for the missus and as we're the same size head i thought i could get something else i fancied. Gave the C2 another go but still wasn't right. Tried a Tour-X, fantastic :thumb I wasn't sure about the peak and noise but the peak seems to keep it stable and the noise isn't an issue. It fits great, has a fantastic field of vision, the autocom and mike took minutes to fit and the finish is better than anything BM or Schuberth do.
The BM lid is a little quieter and a little warmer but as far as I'm concerned the Arai is better. Try one :thumb

Buy a Caberg Justissimo, flip up with sunvisor £140 or therabouts, light and quiet and a good ramge of colours.

John Gates said:
Buy a Caberg Justissimo, flip up with sunvisor £140 or therabouts, light and quiet and a good ramge of colours.

Cheapest, nastiest helmet I've ever owned :(

All IMHO, of course, but the newer Caberg (can't remember the name) seems like a much better piece of kit :thumb

I've got a System V. I fitted the anti-fog visor from new. No problems with misting-up.

I also have a System IV with anti-fog visor.

IMO V is no great step forward from the IV and in some ways is a backwards step.

Its marginally lighter, it's no quieter and the chin vent is just plain stupid. The vent works but the slide is so fiddly to use that it's hit and miss.

The chin-guard 'skirt' is a pain. You need to hook a thumb into it to make sure that it goes under your chin (not something that afflicts the System IV).

The room for ear-pieces and fitting them is easier in the V.

The thing that drives me to distraction with the V is the shape of the visor.

With most helmets you can have the visor half-open and look under the bottom edge of it. As the System V visor is very pointed, like a V shape (oddly enough), the point of the V sits in your eye-line when half-open so it has to be cranked well passed the halfway point and adds to buffeting.

I'm starting to use the V more these days but only to extend the life of my IV.

The IV was an easy choice given that the bits were available to make three helmets out of one with the optional peak and cheek pieces. There's no peak for the V.

I'm not sure that I'd opt for the System V. I might be tempted to try the new Shoei "Multiwhatnot" first.

Have had the System V for 16 months now. Initially very quiet, but it has loosed up now and has become very noisy. Because I wear it almost every day, I need to wear ear protection. However, for the autocom fit it works well.

IMO the chin curtain is useless so I removed that fairly quickly. I also fitted the anti-mist visor which fell apart in less than 12 months. If I could find the receipt I would get another one.

Probably buy a Schuberth next time.

Unfortunately the Schuberth doesn't fit me ( my wifes C2 is a superb bit of kit), I've had both a system 4 and it was replaced with a system 5 (the 4 was a better built lid).
The system 5 has been loads of hassle with the chin strap ripping the lining and having to be replaced and to be be blunt it is shocking in bad weather with not only the visor misting up but also with water ingression problems.
The lid itself is comfortable and reasonably quiet and a good fair weather helmet but the leakage problems mean that when it is replaced it will not be with another system 5.
It is not worth the £280 which I paid for it, maybe a new Shoei flip front next year.

Re Schuberts and head shape. I have a sys IV flipper (i.e.Schuberth) and a Schuberth QM1 full-=face.

Had to skin a bit off the forehead ridge poly with a sharp knife on the IV to stop it killing me - now fits great. The QM1 fitted perfectly from the box round the forehead.

The system V didn't fit me in any way shape or form.

So - moral is - not all Schuberts are the same shape apparently - try a few on - you may be pleasantly lucky.

I have a system V which I use for commuting to work. My glasses fit much better with that than trying to squeeze them into my Arai. At first I found it very uncomfortable on the forehead, but after being told how to help cure this (gently compress the foam in that area with your thumb), it is now very comfortable. Mine has torn the lining around the chin strap slightly, but it isn't a structural problem, so I ignore it. Fogging isn't too much of a problem, I find I can use the chin vent, or open the visor one notch without it obstructing my vision too much. It is quieter than my Arai, and with autocom speakers I have to turn my Ipod down! The chin skirt is a waste of time, a neck tube is more useful. So far I have had no problems with it leaking in, I hope I don't soon regret this comment!
The biggest complaint I have about it is that the peripheral vision is poor, lifesavers require much more of a turn of the head.
All IMHO, of course!
Mark

Back
Top Bottom