V8 UPDATE - - - - - HOW MUCH??

Think you're best contacting Garmin direct who will no doubt tell you you need to buy an unlock code. I'm also awaiting my copy of V8 but was told by Garmin that I should be able to get the unlock code free for some reason. Won't hold my breath though

Price

Just go to the Garmin site then the Unlock bit it will tell you then, think $75 was posted somewhere.
Mitch

mitch said:
Just go to the Garmin site then the Unlock bit it will tell you then, think $75 was posted somewhere.
Mitch

IIRC I was charged $75 plus taxes ($13 I think) = £45, cheaper than the last two updates. :thumb

John Armstrong said:
...cheaper than the last two updates.

I get the impression that there is a trend towards faster update cycles (at least one new release of each cartography product per year), and this is driving the price down. I also agree, it's a good thing - I would rather pay less money more often and have more up to date maps, rather than a single large payment once every 18 months or so.

Michael

Update

I exchanged a few e-mails with Ollie stone from Garmin, and ended up paying $50 plus tax.

Did mine the other day. As others have said, was $80ish with tax. Quick and painless (apart from the $80). $50 + tax sounds good.

Also got sucked in. Paid by VISA $88.12 which translated into £51.80 in real money! :)

Did mine recently... FOC. You don't register the GPS unit (now 18 months old) until you want a mapping upgrade... doh! ;)

I'll cross the warranty issue when it arises :D

Adam :)

PanEuropean said:
I would rather pay less money more often and have more up to date maps, rather than a single large payment once every 18 months or so.

Yeah, quite so, as it might mean they correct some of the details that want to route you down a flight of steps (Malaga) or down the pedestrian (and obviously has been for a long time) main street (Ronda).

Longer standing issues such as those above to one side, such is the pace of road alterations in some places that more frequent updates has to be a good thing, though I'll bet the overall price doesn't reduce...

Chisurz said:
down the pedestrian (and obviously has been for a long time) main street (Ronda).

Hmm - I'll have a look a v7 and v8, but I don't recall that when I was in Ronda last summer (using v7).

:rolleyes:

Greg

Greg Masters said:
Hmm - I'll have a look a v7 and v8, but I don't recall that when I was in Ronda last summer (using v7).

Greg

He's got the dents on his bonnet to prove it!

Chisurz said:
...such is the pace of road alterations in some places that more frequent updates has to be a good thing, though I'll bet the overall price doesn't reduce...

Agreed - the average yearly expense will probably remain about the same, but instead of spending $150 every 18 months, we'll be spending $75 every 9 months. I'm pretty happy with that.

The bulk of the changes now consist of filling out the POI database and adding the (invisible) road attribute data so that the GPSR does a better job of automatic routing. In most countries - England being one example - the actual road network is 100% complete. There really aren't that many changes to the road network from year to year. The POI database (restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc.) changes more rapidly.

Michael

Greg Masters said:

Greg

Greg, it was using a new 2720 freshly loaded with v8...

Back
Top Bottom