News Story :- Dangerous Road - but ideal on a GS

The story illustrates yet again my oft repeated point about all these fecking Herberts forsaking common sense and a peek at a map for blind faith in an electronic gadget :spitfire :spitfire

tarka said:
The story illustrates yet again my oft repeated point about all these fecking Herberts forsaking common sense and a peek at a map for blind faith in an electronic gadget :spitfire :spitfire

Bollix......it's no different from someone who's a numpty with a map looking at the sheet for that area and saying 'Dorothy...there's a road from here to there, that'll be ok.......' and not looking at what sort of road it is ;) :dabone

tarka said:

I can't see that it's a sat nav to blame here, just genetics :D

Hehe, I was just about to post a link to the same story, with an "ideal for GSing" comment :)

Notice that the village is called "Crackpot" :D

Might have to go have a look next time I'm in Yorkshire.

I have a cousin who lives in Crackpot :D :D
I think they must mean the green lane that goes up over the tops to askrigg. must investigate further :)

jez said:
I have a cousin who lives in Crackpot :D :D
I think they must mean the green lane that goes up over the tops to askrigg. must investigate further :)
Yep... and here's where we camped out in Crackpot next to the river Swale in your cousins field over May Bank Holiday last year... beautifull part of the world... :thumb

Attachments

• CrackpotSmall.jpg
    CrackpotSmall.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 452
no doubt the local thought police/council will TRO the lane for our safety, you know its for your own good mentality, now that the press have given them the excuse they need ( imagine a car and caravan clubber, saying, "lets try this road, ethel its on the map so it must be alright!)

Room 101 said:
Yep... and here's where we camped out in Crackpot next to the river Swale in your cousins field over May Bank Holiday last year... beautifull part of the world... :thumb

If you get close to the screen, you can almost hear the mozzies!

Robin.

Robin said:
If you get close to the screen, you can almost hear the mozzies!

Robin.
mmmmm.... and if you look closely enough you will see Jez thrashing around in the bushes trying to get the damn things out of his ears... :D

Room 101 said:
mmmmm.... and if you look closely enough you will see Jez thrashing around in the bushes trying to get the damn things out of his ears... :D

that's not Jez, it's an oversized garden gnome :beerjug:

Mouse said:
Notice that the village is called "Crackpot" :D
Might have to go have a look next time I'm in Yorkshire.

It's well worth it - I discovered Crackpot by accident a few years ago, and it's on the road near Buttertubs Pass:

http://www.jbutler.org.uk/e2e/pw/w12/index.shtml
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=buttertubs+pass&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

...which on the ascent is one of the best biking roads in England.

The area around Crackpot is just plain pretty.

I do love this sort of story and although it is extreme that some mongs have driven over a cliff, my Quest (even with off road turned off) has a tenuous grip on reality.

I planned "windmills" route for the Bishops Finger bunkhouse weekend in November. We never really got to grips with much of it as it was cold and icy.

I did it again on Sunday with soem mates from the Suzuki OC and the BMF in Kent. The route it took us was on tarmac, although the amount of tarmac was debatable and most of it, after three days of heavy rain, was covered in mud and tree debris.. But "Doris" never swayed off her route; Stelling Minnis to Barham via woodland roads including a 28% grade uphill climb. No probs for the GS, but the 1200RT and Blackbirds weren't very happy.... Shame I couldn't stop to take few scenic pics.

But the Quest has taken me to many places I wouldn't even think about if I just had to look at the map, and once there, with few exceptions, it gets me back to where I want to be.

Exceptions being central Paris where it constantly lost the signal.... and the City of London when trying to find an address!

For a bloke that likes to read maps and plan my trips, here and abroad, it is a great toy.

Crackpot Today

Been for a play over the tops today. And to be honest I wished I had taken a Land Rover and not the GS, what was surprising was there was somone in a Renault Scenic going to try it but they turned back at the farm.

There was just far too much deep gravel for me to cope with, a couple of inch of small stuff is Ok but when there's about 6 or 8 inch deep of fist size hardcore it was just to much.

So a big thanks to SW-Motec for a good set of engine bars!!! and to Joanne for being the padding the bike dropped onto!!!! about 3 times. she didn't cry for long:tears :tears

John

Back
Top Bottom