TouraTech Ally Panniers [SV]?

boxer

Like Newton - only stupid
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mornin' All.

I'm considering buying a set of Touratechs aluminium panniers. I'm especially interested in the type that mounts onto BMWs' own pannier mounting rail. This type is called the Street-Version [SV].

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with any experience with Touratechs' ally panniers in general and especially with Touratechs' mounting system for attaching their panniers to BMWs' pannier rail. Experiences both good and bad would be welcomed.

Also, it would be good to hear from anyone who has any advice on installing Ohlins shocks onto a 1100GS ['98].

Thanks.

Russ.

I have the Special set/SonderSystem on mine - same cases, different mountings. Cases are great - waterproof, dust-proof, and fairly car-proof. Most damage can be removed with the right-sized hammer and a block of wood.
Not sure how strong the mountings are using the BMW rails - these are also, according to the Touratech catalogue, wider than the other mounting systems. THis was the clincher for me, as I do a lot of town/traffic riding, so I went for the SonderSystem, even though the bike had a set of BMW rails on when I bought it.

These mountings are very narrow, even with the 41 litre cases, and are strong enough to shrug off most accident damage. Mine have survived 2 collisions so far, each of which did severe damage to the other vehicle with the edges of the cases.

My recommendation would be to go for the Touratech mounts - either the Sondersystem if you have a stock exhaust or a Remus, or the standard set if you have a different aftermarket silencer.

Regards

Peter

:beer:

I wouldn't recommend mounting aluminuim panniers on the original bmw-mounting rail; what if you bike falls over?
Will the pannier come loose or break off the rail?
Like the original BMW panniers, there's no support at the back between the two paniers, so it's easy to bend them inwards when landing on them.
Compare it to f.e. the Touratech "sondersystem" mounting, or the Hepco &Becker mounting, they both have an extra support bar at the back side between the two sides...

Last edited:
Peter.

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean about going for the smallest width set. That however is not major concern of mine. Of more importance to me is the ability to remove the panniers from the bike quickly. How long does it take you to remove your boxes from the frame? You have to use a spanner, right?

Could I also ask your opinion of the boxes security in relation to being forcibly removed from the bike and the integrity of the boxes themselves?

Thanks Again.

Best.

Russ.

I visited Touratech last year and inspected both mounting systems. My wife wanted the ability to quick release the panniers and take them inside. The system that used BMW's original plastic mounting rails was quite brilliant and neat, but it had a couple of big downsides.

1. the panniers were mounted as wide as the BMW ones or slightly wider. 2. the mounting system was all external and the locking system required the rails to stay unbent and/or unbroken, in the course of riding and falling off in mud, sand, etc, etc, I decided that the probable cause of failure would be a small step off and that would mar any trip if after a small step off making ones pannier mounts snap, whilst the panniers themselves had a few bruises only

The Touratech mounting system is quite brilliant in it's simplicity and also very strong. The only other system I eventually got serious about was the Al Jesse panniers from America.

The fact that all of the locking mechanisms was external and on the inside meant that the locks and sundry equipment were all going to get covered in mud and grit and I thought that that may also present problems further down the track, so to speak.

Russ, it takes me about 30 seconds to remove the panniers and I only need my hands to do that, no tools required at all, except a pair of gloves if my hands are cold.

Mick.

Russ -

As Mick says, it takes a matter of seconds to remove the cases, without tools. However, if I have done them upo tightly on a hot day, and try to take them off on a cold day, I sometimes need to use a pair of pump pliers on the big knurled nut! ( might be the other way round with hit and cold days - can't remembver off-hand).

Security - as with any panniers - is dependent as much on where you leave it as the locks themselves. I have the Touratech integrated locks fitted to mine, and they have done a good job so far ( fingers crossed), but they are only there to keep honest people honest and to place an obstacle in front of the ungodly.
Best security is to park where there are lots of other bikes - people coming and going all the time, and people who will take offence at someone messing with a bike.

You cannot remove the boxes from the bike without removing the lids, short of tearing the metal open.:cool:

The standard locks are very simple, and should be up to off-road abuse, grit, mud etc. If you take this route, there is a padlock loop in each lock as standard if you need to leave it somewhere.

Regards

Peter

Boxer,

Just baught a pair of Ally Touratech Panniers for my wifes F650GS.

An absolute doddle to fit the frame and much more robust than the BMW plastic rail. I also had questions about taking the paniers on and off, but it as simple as Pete described earlier and as yet we haven't had to use any tools, Just undo the large Circular knob inside and lift off. I'll be changing my BMW panniers for a set of the close fitting Ally panniers soon.

I had considered the Jesse ones, however, I know of a few people who had leakage problems. The other concern i had was that thier just so damm low, yes I know thier cut away at the bottom, which is fine for road, but if you go anywhere near a rutted road or soft ground i think they would ground.

hope this helps

Cheers
Simon T:beerjug:

I too am about to purchase a set of Ally panniers. I have seen on the Touratech website a full set 41 + 36ltr boxes with all the fittings and mountings Has anyone bought this or know if Bracken supply complete systems. Just out of interest Touratech offer this complete system for around £400, does that sound about right ?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Gazza,

The answer is yes, Bracken do supply complete systems. We've just picked one up for my wifes F650GS.

Bracken are the official UK importers for Touratech.

Cheers
Simon T:beerjug:

Tighten that lock-nut properly.

Guys

We're 13,000 miles into a RTW trip using the Touratech ally cases and thoroughly recomend them. We've dumped the bike and ripped a hole in them which was easily beaten/ riveted back into shape.

HOWEVER, several people here have mentioned only needing to hand tighten the knurled mounting bolt, this is okay but the nylon locking nut must be 'spanner' tight or the fixings will vibrate loose and dispapear forever. We lost two bolts in Africa and now have nice little homemade ones for our troubles.

Goose
www.gooseontheloose.com
:beer:

RE Plastic Locking Nuts

Goose - I have never tightened the locknut with a spanner, due to a morbid reluctance to touch any plastic fitting with a tool except to loosen it, and have never had them come undone.

Mind you, my "finger-tight" is pretty damn tight, and bad though London's roads are, I doubt they are as bad as where you are;)

Note for prospective buyers - don't ride off with the latches undone - the lids fly off when you reach about 35mph DAMHIK:eek:

Some folk on the micapeak list have put retaining straps onto the lids - the mounting screws for the top handles are good for this - so the lids don't get lost.

Mine bounced 100 yards along the road, and required some surgery (of the hammer/anvil interface variety) to fit on again, plus much emery paper work on the corners to remove the gouges.:eek:

As I said before - the boxes are so tough that if you go down hard enough to completely wreck the boxes, the rest of the bike may not be that clever either!

Regards

Peter

I had Touratech 41 Litre boxes fitted to my Adventure in March. The system I chose was the Touratech rails & fittings and the custom left pannier (with cut out for exhaust). Thanks for the tip re. tightening the plastic nut - I'll do so from now on!

I've bought the system with the intention of doing a RTW in a couple of years time. The reason I bought the steel rail system was simple - I wanted to be able to have them repaired wherever I bin it! Most parts of the world have fairly easy access to a welder. My understanding of BMW racks is that, when they're broke, they're broke.

As regards quick release on panniers, is this for security or to gain access to the bike for repairs etc? I solved the first option by buying the SEGA inner bags, which are top quality & well worth the £30 ish each that Bracken charge.

MikeO

Back
Top Bottom