Extended warranty shock - get ready

Tailor's Dummy

A nice letter today from the Warranty Services Manager at BMW - more of a practical joke than a quote. Bike 2 years old on 26 April. Quote to extend warranty cover for 12 months - £659. :eek:

This does not give much faith in the chances of it not breaking in the next year if they think, allowing for commissions and profit, that 10% of the value of the bike is going to need replacing in the period covered.

The last 12 month extended warranty I bought from them, on K1200RS of same age 2.5 yrs ago, was £340. What are they telling us? Could it be that the 1200GS is nearly twice as unreliable.

Bit of a quandry - take the risk and ignore the rip-off or take the hint? :nenau

John H

Reliable 1150

Been there, done that, no likee - uncomfortable head shaker - didn't keep it long enough for it to break ;)

John H

sell it

and buy a new one.. another two years warranty is going to cost £1400, you get that with a new one! easy :D nick

John..there are alternatives out there.....Ming had a thread about a warranty supplied by aniother company that seemed pretty good and a lot cheaper....do a search and you should find it easy enough :thumb

WOW ! 2 year warrant for £311 using their top spec warranty which limits each claim to £2,500. Multiple claims allowed, up to the value of the bike. That does seem good value. Comments?

WindyChuffer said:
WOW ! 2 year warrant for £311 using their top spec warranty which limits each claim to £2,500. Multiple claims allowed, up to the value of the bike. That does seem good value. Comments?
is that 311 for two years on a two year old gs 1200???
if so how many miles are up

Warranty Works

Have looked at the company, the conditions etc and seems OK but has anybody had any experience of their claim paying performance?

If they pay up when asked, I would definitely go with their 'Platinum Cover' and many thanks to the Shuck Raider for the pointer. :clap

Feed back required from Warranty Works customers would be valuable.

John H

Tailor's Dummy said:
A nice letter today from the Warranty Services Manager at BMW - more of a practical joke than a quote. Bike 2 years old on 26 April. Quote to extend warranty cover for 12 months - £659. :eek:

This does not give much faith in the chances of it not breaking in the next year if they think, allowing for commissions and profit, that 10% of the value of the bike is going to need replacing in the period covered.

The last 12 month extended warranty I bought from them, on K1200RS of same age 2.5 yrs ago, was £340. What are they telling us? Could it be that the 1200GS is nearly twice as unreliable.

Bit of a quandry - take the risk and ignore the rip-off or take the hint? :nenau

John H

Had a similar letter re extending the warranty for my 530i and it was £970, guess i'll be relying on homers!!!!!

Warranty prices at 1st April 2002

Found a BMW Warranty leaflet dated 1st April 2002 which lists the following;

12 Month renewal

F650, R65, R80, R100 £286

K Series, R850, R1100, R1200C £328

Food for thought!!!!!! :nenau

Dave

I think that the warranty extension on my M3, when it comes up, will be about £700. That is for a car that cost £43,000 new, and on which a new engine is apprently about the cost of 2 new R1200GSs. It is a bit of a surprise that the bike one is a similar price.

12 months - £659 Is the bike that unreliable they can justify that cost :nenau

I might want to hang on to mine after 2 years and would like some sort of warranty as it seems limited what you can do to the GS due to it being complicated (CAN bus etc). You always hear so many horror stories about extended warranty and them not paying out :eek:

Personally I'd put the cash away where you can't easily get at it and use it as and when or If you need it. If over 3 years you haven't spent it,there a good lump down for another bike.Or you could get it repaired by a quality independant and save even more cash,after all it's out of warranty now.I've recently started servicing my own bike myself and it runs sooo much better than it ever did when being done by a main dealer.My local main dealer is very good, but I spent more time on the set up.Just done my bro in law's 1150 and it is now as smooth as a fur lined codpiece.Previously was surging and flat spotting all over the place even after a visit to the dealership. :D

Just committed to Warranty Works

Bike 2 yrs old today - happy b'day bike!

Have just signed up with Warranty Works - 2 yrs Platinum cover - £311 compared to BMW 1 year at £650 or whatever. Lets hope it is never needed. If it is, I will post comment on Warranty Works' service on claims. There has been no feedback from anyone else, so I suppose nobody has ever claimed from them - or cant be bothered to post!

Here's hoping :) .

John

warranty

It would be great if there were some folks out there who have actually used this extended warranty. How do we know it's authentic???
I must say i'm very uneasy about my now 2 year old 1200...................I figure that BMW must know something we don't given the outragous extended warranty cost.......................feedback would be great on this one.Even if it is car related, just to be sure they actually deliver should a warranty claim occur :beer:

figure that BMW must know something we don't given the outragous extended warranty cost

I think you'll find that warranty costs for all BMs (even the old reliable ones ;) ) shot up when vehicle warranties came under FSA regulation. I suspect this was partly the cost of regulation, partly an opportunity to put the price up and partly the need to separate out the full warranty cost. Doesn't stop the cost being horrendous but I don't think the 1200s are being singled out.

Paul

Not to mention of course that owners might see trading it in for a new one as a better option :D

John

Oz is cheaper!

I've just been given a price of $AUD440 (GB 183.84) for a 12 month warranty extension here in Oz. And I've had LOTS of warranty work done on mine! :D

Back
Top Bottom