Making my Quest work - help!

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
My second hand (UK spec) Quest arrived in the post today, yay :)

I charged it and turned it on and was presented with a map of the USA, an arrow pointing to 'Garmin' and the words "acquiring satallites" and that is how it remained :(

Ah ha, probably doesn't have the City Select Europe map loaded so after a protracted process I got the UK map loaded on my PC and transfered it to the Quest (pretty sure I did this ok!?) and tried again.

I still get a map of the USA, an arrow pointing to 'Garmin' and the words "acquiring satallites"

Please, it's been a long day (probably not the best day to learn how to use the thing) but could anybody point me towards what stupid numpty mistake I'm making :nenau

Many thanks
Andres

Give it time. It thinks it's round the other side of the world.

There is a way of speeding things up, but I haven't got my manual with me.

Make sure the aerial is up & just leave it outside for 15 mins or so.

I believe that at first Quest thinks that it is in USA and takes a considerable time to aquire satellites. After some time it will aquire some and discover that it is in UK.

It then remembers your last location and from that point you will have UK maps and it will aquire satellites quickly

For detailed maps- you must download fron Cityselect accordingly

If you reset Quest- it will start again in USA

I think that you just have to be patient
:D

Do MENU>MENU>GPS SETTINGS..then as said, leave it outside for a long time to pick up the little boxes on the sky...could take 20 mins to acquire enough from a 'cold start'. (OR so Garmin told me when I did the same)

DOing the menu thing will bring up a sky chart and you'll see the satellittes it's detecting, and the strengths of the signals..if there's nothing visible after ten minutes , chances are it's fekked. :(

Exactly the same as my Quest 2, which arrived earlier this week. Took around 10 mins to find itself, but has worked well since then in UK and France.

It worked, I'm obviously not patient enough!

Now the fun begins - prepare for lots of numpty questions over the next few days ;)

Thanks again
Andres

Outtomunch said:
Now the fun begins - prepare for lots of numpty questions over the next few days ;)

Thanks again
Andres

Ha Ha.... how good is this forum eh :thumb

I bet I can come up with more numpty GPS questions than you though :rolleyes:

Jon :thumb

Outtomunch said:
It worked, I'm obviously not patient enough!

Thanks again
Andres

Shame I'm going away for the next week but your welcome to pop over one evening when I'm back and I could run the the dark art of Questing with you Andres:thumb

Whatton said:
Shame I'm going away for the next week but your welcome to pop over one evening when I'm back and I could run the the dark art of Questing with you Andres:thumb

Thank you for the offer :thumb

I'll defo. take you up on that, want to get it sorted before my travels East at the end of the month.

Andres

Whatton said:

You haven't had enough practice at this grooming lark Neville........waaaaay too obvious ;)

Glad it's working Andres :thumb

Andres,

Hope you enjoy the Quest :thumb

There is a site that is run by a fella called Elsinga, and he appears to have devoted most of his site to Quest help.

Elsinga Quest

Check it out - I thought it was good.

Al :D

It is quicker to reset the location manually by pointing at your approx location.

Settings -> GPS Info

Press Menu -> New Location -> Use Map

Back
Top Bottom