MEMORY MAP

BAKERMAN

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can I use memory map in conjuntion with my GARMIN CS 60S as TOPO 2 by GARMIN is the same sort of thing but it seems to be AMERICAN launguage.

I am after laying down a route off CS 60 to print out on paper also download for people at HOGRAOST 2006.

When I did the RALLY of DISSCOVERY I`m sure Bob Jefferies was using MEMORY MAP.

I believe that Memory Map only has partial functionality Garmin or vector graphics type GPSR's. Essentially you dont get the full OS map graphics.

It does work on PocketPCs though - Ive got it and its fantastic, OS maps available in 50k and 25k, plus London A-Z etc.

Memory Map also has a PC based route planning device which can be very useful when combined with photographic overlays to show you exactly what the actual ground looks like. Great bit of kit IMHO.

See here for a 10MB demo video which shows it off nicely.

Mike

Watched the video, it looks great on a PDA, and on the PC too, very tempting. But it seems primarily for walkers and cyclists, it can do a route comprising of straight lines, but they don’t seem able to merge to roads as Garmin routes do. If it can do road routing, I’d be very tempted :thumb

Having seen that presentation video, Garmin need a kick up the a*re and get this level of functionality in to their software, considering the price it is it blo*dy clumsy.

BAKERMAN said:
Can I use memory map in conjuntion with my GARMIN CS 60S as TOPO 2 by GARMIN is the same sort of thing but it seems to be AMERICAN launguage.

I am after laying down a route off CS 60 to print out on paper also download for people at HOGRAOST 2006.

When I did the RALLY of DISSCOVERY I`m sure Bob Jefferies was using MEMORY MAP.

Bakes, you should post technical questions all the time - your grammar and spelling suddenly become almost perfect :D

PS - I've got no idea

Bakes, I have Topo GB and Memory map OS. Topo GB is great on the unit for the view of woods, lakes, and contour lines. What its not so good at is showing paths and tracks. Having spoken to garmin about it, basically OS aloud them a limited license which means not all paths and tracks show. When I bought Topo, I was disappointed on how many showed up, but having updated the firmware on my 276c, I have noticed a lot more show up now! :thumb

I also have Memory map, which used in conjunction with Topo allows me plan routes using the detail of Memory map OS. One thing I have noticed with memory map, you have to be very accurate when laying a route or track, or otherwise when you load it onto the unit it will be way off track.

Bottom lines is, Topo gives you the Topographical detail on the unit, and Memory map shows the OS detail to your planning.

If you need to have a look at it all, your welcome to visit.

BAKERMAN said:
...TOPO 2 by GARMIN is the same sort of thing but it seems to be AMERICAN launguage...

Hi Bakerman:

Just a tip for you: Have a look on the configuration (setup) screens of your GPSR and see if you have a choice of written (text) languages. Some of the newer GPSRs support both British English and American English as written languages. Note I am NOT talking about the voice here.

The difference between the written languages, besides the obvious color / colour spellings, is that British English uses terminology common to the British Isles for geographic features and other descriptions. For example, a TMC report of a hole in the roadway caused by water erosion will appear as 'Subsidence on the Roadway' if British English is chosen, and as 'Sinkhole on the Road' if American English is chosen. I believe that the same fine-tuning of terminology also carries over to map features and points of interest.

Michael

PanEuropean said:
Hi Bakerman:

Just a tip for you: Have a look on the configuration (setup) screens of your GPSR and see if you have a choice of written (text) languages. Some of the newer GPSRs support both British English and American English as written languages. Note I am NOT talking about the voice here.

The difference between the written languages, besides the obvious color / colour spellings, is that British English uses terminology common to the British Isles for geographic features and other descriptions. For example, a TMC report of a hole in the roadway caused by water erosion will appear as 'Subsidence on the Roadway' if British English is chosen, and as 'Sinkhole on the Road' if American English is chosen. I believe that the same fine-tuning of terminology also carries over to map features and points of interest.

Michael

Cheers good advice, I was looking at GARMINS US Site not UK site also GARMINS demo that also was on US Site

shedracer said:
Bakes, I have Topo GB and Memory map OS. Topo GB is great on the unit for the view of woods, lakes, and contour lines. What its not so good at is showing paths and tracks. Having spoken to garmin about it, basically OS aloud them a limited license which means not all paths and tracks show. When I bought Topo, I was disappointed on how many showed up, but having updated the firmware on my 276c, I have noticed a lot more show up now! :thumb

I also have Memory map, which used in conjunction with Topo allows me plan routes using the detail of Memory map OS. One thing I have noticed with memory map, you have to be very accurate when laying a route or track, or otherwise when you load it onto the unit it will be way off track.

Bottom lines is, Topo gives you the Topographical detail on the unit, and Memory map shows the OS detail to your planning.

If you need to have a look at it all, your welcome to visit.

Do I buy the latest MEMORY MAP they sell them on ebay ?

Also that GPS WORKSHOP DVD on MEMORY MAP website looks good !

Bakes, get in touch, I can help on all accounts - don't buy MM until we've spoken - I'll do a lot for a free donut :D

You can download and upload tracks and waypoints from a Garmin to MM and show them on the Digital OS Maps (and then print the map out with the tracks and waypoints shown) but you can't upload the digital OS maps to a Garmin. :(

Bob Jeffries said:
Bakes, get in touch, I can help on all accounts - don't buy MM until we've spoken - I'll do a lot for a free donut :D

Will do, don`t like to bother bizzy men, will call WHEN FINISHED pig raosting TODAY cheer.

:D

Good luck with your pig. That's beyond my skill level, I would not know how to stuff it into the microwave.

What, exactly, is this 'Memory Map' thing you are referring to? Is it software (like MapSource), or hardware, or cartography? I have not heard of it before.

Michael

PanEuropean, good to see you back in the fold.

Memory Map is a digital mapping system similar to MapSource & associated maps from Garmin, like MapSource you can download and upload tracks and waypoints to your GPS but you can't upload the Memory Map maps.

The Memory Map equivalent to MapSource is the Navigator program which is used to display and manipulate data within whatever maps you bring into it. The big plus is that MM has a deal with the UK OS service to use OS 1:50k and 1: 25k mapping. You can also import your own maps and calibrate them with the Navigator program, as per TTQV, indeed the latest version of TTQV can use MM maps.

I was one of the “first” to get into MM and had some communication with the UK development team to get some early issues resolved – I suggested that the navigator program should be given away free (as per MapSource) and just the maps charged for, that they use a database filing system for routes, tracks and waypoints (as per TTQV) and the map tiles be larger. They did the one (free Navigator), ignored one (database) and eventually did the third (bigger tiles) after an interim fix using a mergetiles program.

Now that the latest version of TTQV can use the MM map files I can have the best of both – the TTQV database filing system and the MM OS 1:50k and 1: 25k maps.

Back
Top Bottom