HELP ME PLEASE

THE PICT

Reaction score
NEED SOME GUIDANCE HERE.TOTALY NEW TO THE GPS STUFF AND I COULD DO WITH SOME ADVICE.IM LOOKING TO BUY A GPS THAT WILL DO MY TRUCK AND BIKE.WHAT IM LOOKING FOR IS A GPS THAT CAN HOLD MAPS FOR UK AND MOST OF EUROPE RIGHT DOWN TO A-Z STANDARDS AS I USUALLY GET LOST IN TOWNS AND CITIES IN EUROPE WHICH AINT REALLY A PROBLEM ON THE BIKE BUT IT IS IN A 44 TON ARTIC 15FT HIGH.I KNO A LOT OF MEMORY IS REQUIRED FOR THAT SO IS IT POSSABLE TO HOLD DIFFERENT MAPS ON DIFFERENT MEMORY CARDS? ANY ADVICE ON WHICH GPS TO BUY AND ANY OTHER ADVICE IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

2720 and a 2GB card would probably do the trick. Have a search in the GPS section to verify if all the maps fit once compiled. The garmin product have the edge as you can set them for different vehicle types to avoid taking an arctic up a 6' wide lane, but I doubt height restriction is in the data, so you'd still need to keep an eye out for dodgy bridges.

ianf said:
2720 and a 2GB card would probably do the trick. Have a search in the GPS section to verify if all the maps fit once compiled. The garmin product have the edge as you can set them for different vehicle types to avoid taking an arctic up a 6' wide lane, but I doubt height restriction is in the data, so you'd still need to keep an eye out for dodgy bridges.

i'm with him :thumb

ianf said:
2720 and a 2GB card would probably do the trick.
Delete the 2GB card and you might have the answer. The 2720 has integral solid state memory. It doesn't use CF cards, or any other sort of removable memory, come to that.

However, a 2610 and a 2GB card might do just about as well.

Oh and turn off the Caps Lock, there's a good chap. It's considered to be SHOUTING in internet etiquette.

TomTom Rider

I bought one recently and CDs of the whole of Western Europe (transfered onto a 2gig SD card or you can buy one preloaded). You can get a holder/charger for 4 wheels.

Pretty good if you want total coverage. (Even does postcodes for Holland... useful if you get lost in Amsterdam ;) )

:)

I think that most of the Garmin GPSRs that have been released to market in the past 2 years come preloaded with the cartography.

When you are looking at the various units, make sure that the box says "Preloaded with Europe cartography". That's really the key issue for the needs that you have specified. The other key issue is that you get a GPSR that allows you to choose the vehicle type - car/motorcycle vs. heavy goods vehicle. The selection of HGV as a vehicle type will keep you off roads that are not intended for use by HGVs. Some of the 'entry level' GPSRs - the really inexpensive ones - may not offer this feature. If you are not sure, just download the owner manual for the GPSR you are interested in, and see if it allows you to select vehicle type.

Because you are driving a large commercial vehicle, I think it would be best if you purchased a new GPSR - one that has the most up to date maps in it - rather than getting a used one. Making a U-turn because a road has been closed may be a nuisance on a moto, but it will be a lot more than a nuisance with a 44 ton truck.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom