Snoopy's Morocco Adventure

Jon said:
If you're mucking around in the desert, a gps is at the top of the list.

Jon, you will recall our trip a couple of years ago, crossing from Erfoud to Mezzouga in two groups, when a sandstorm blew up pretty quickly. You couldn't see fifty feet. Had it set in for several hours, none of us would have got out of it without a GPS.

Jon said:
However, SO much could have gone wrong. Please don't assume that as it was okay this time, it always will be..............

Good advice!

:thumb

Greg

206774-L-1.jpg

Jon said:
Unless, of course, you've wedged out on the WOBMW one.

Then Roy (aka Blue Sweeper) carries your luggage into every hotel and tucks you in at night :D ..................

Oh yeh right! And I learnt everything I know from the Master - Greg. :mmmm

Here we go again :rolleyes: Having read through the entire thread and enjoyed the accounts of Snoopy, I am quite saddened by the attitude of some peoply towards the guy. I was waiting for him to lose it, and tell us all to bugger off. I am sorry but some of the comments were 'holier than thou' almost beyond belief.

Ok he is 23, and inexperienced in the ways of wordly travel. Thing could have gone wrong for him. He sounded reasonably well prepared from what i can see. Whilst I appreciate that there is clearly something else that we are not party to, judging by the fact that certain strands to this thread were pulled last night, give the guy a fecking break!!! He's got to start somewhere.

This shows all that is wrong with this site sometimes, i.e. some people seem to find it a sport to run others down if they don't do thing the way they would, and generally look down noses at people.

Bollox to it! :spitfire

All I can say is well done Snoopy, you’ve done more than most on this site ever will, and more than that, you did something most can’t be bother to do, you wrote up a good report to tell us about it, thanks for that :thumb

Flying banana said:
Here we go again :rolleyes: etc., etc.
Fine speech! :clap
I did a journey on my bike when I was 19 that makes me shudder to think about it now.

I've enjoyed the write-up, even if I'd have done things differently.

I suspect that there's a lot more than me who read it and wished they still had that 'youthful' sense of invunerability instead of the 'what if this goes wrong' attitude that comes with age and experience.

Flying banana said:
Here we go again :rolleyes: Having read through the entire thread and enjoyed the accounts of Snoopy, I am quite saddened by the attitude of some peoply towards the guy. I was waiting for him to lose it, and tell us all to bugger off. I am sorry but some of the comments were 'holier than thou' almost beyond belief.

Ok he is 23, and inexperienced in the ways of wordly travel. Thing could have gone wrong for him. He sounded reasonably well prepared from what i can see. Whilst I appreciate that there is clearly something else that we are not party to, judging by the fact that certain strands to this thread were pulled last night, give the guy a fecking break!!! He's got to start somewhere.

This shows all that is wrong with this site sometimes, i.e. some people seem to find it a sport to run others down if they don't do thing the way they would, and generally look down noses at people.

Bollox to it! :spitfire

Ditto all the above, Nice report Snoopy, thoroughlly enjoyed it. :clap :clap

think some on here justify the pipe n slippers/old fart image :nenau

Well done snoopy
Good write up
:thumb
The "can do" attitude and "learn from your mistakes" means that you will be a captain of industry by the time you are 39. :clap

great write up the only things you need to navigate in the desert are maps, compass, mirror, common sense and a bit of luck i drove across the sahara some 20 years ago with these. like i said in an earlier post well done dont get into the mudslinging and learn from your mistakes. the earlier explorers didnt have set plans, your here to tell the tale, some of the best planned and equiped arent :thumb

Flying banana said:
Whilst I appreciate that there is clearly something else that we are not party to, judging by the fact that certain strands to this thread were pulled last night, give the guy a fecking break!!! He's got to start somewhere.
I don't think that there's anything you're not party to, but I don't know why some postings were pulled.

I've met Andy a couple of times on Hertfordshire rideouts. And I've ridden to Morocco more often than I said I ever would, the most recent leading a tour that included Jon, Blue Sweeper and many others.

I absolutely admire Andy's determination and 'get-on-with-it' attitude. There are far too many young spunkers out there who do no more than stick a set of wheels and pipes on a Saxo and cruise the local High Street.

But my starting point in this was that Andy's trip should NOT be a role model for others. There are lots of things that, given his experience, we should all learn from. I highlighted some in an earlier posting. And, I'm sure that Andy would agree, there are things HE would now do differently.

Mountain passes in winter, the Sahara in summer and sheep shagging at any time can all be killers. I guess my points are:

• prepare well
  • don't travel alone
  • have contingency plans
  • be inspired (by Andy's journey)
  • stretch your horizons
  • enjoy yourself
  • come home safely

Greg

That was a great write-up Snoopy and I really enjoyed reading it :thumb

I also agree with flying banana.. Suddenly the thread turned into a bit of a "knock snoops" for having a go.

Life is all about experiences and learning from your mistakes. Yes you may have had less troubles if you had done things differently but you would not of had the experience you did.

You are the one person who is going to learn the most from this as you have had a bloody good go at what a lot of people dream about...and only 23 :bow :bow

Respect to you Snoops and I loved reading about your ups and "downs" :eek:

Jon :beerjug: :beerjug: :beerjug:

a great ride report snoopy,thank,s :thumb i wish i would have done that trip at that age .

snoopy said:
Conclusion:

Weight

Travel as light as you can without luxuries - or you will regret it.

The bike

Don’t be a ponce with all the touratech gear. The experts at horizonunlimited will tell you to keep it simple and low cost.

:thumb Thanks for the conclusion. Some things to think about.

Truth - "Less is more" Light weight is the way to go.

Jeans ?! They take for ever to dry. better with light weight (there is that word again) materials. Zip off pants are very good. Dry overnight. Easy to wash. Jeans as riding pants? They don't last long when you fall on the road. Get some real riding pants for that.

Spares? You don't know what will brake therefore take nothing! Well not quite - I take what I think may brake and stop forward progress. I do take 'universal spares' like epoxy metal, duct tape, electrical wire, bailing wire. But not rocker covers ...

Spare globes? I don't usual travel with them - they fail but don't stop forward progress - buy another one when they are available - ask at the next petrol station!

Hope you enjoyed the trip, you certainly learnt from it.

:thumb Snoopy nice one good report and all the things that happen good and bad makes the adventure take me hat of to you

dont worry about some of the negative comments, some are just from people
who sit behind computers all day learning from other people mistakes instead
(via internet)of getting of there lards and finding out first hand about travel culture adventure

well done when you doing the next trip :D

Adventures are events that happen unexpectedly and involve the chance of danger or loss. Adventures can include daring feats, remarkable occurrences, stirring encounters, and major life undertakings.

Adventurous experiences create psychological and physiological arousal which can be interpreted as negative (e.g., fear) or positive (e.g., flow) (see Yerkes-Dodson law). For some people, adventure becomes a major pursuit in and of itself, for example see Extreme Sports.

Source: Wikipedia

I thought we were all supposed to be adventure riders - oops sorry wrong site....
Well done Snoopy for having an adventure, for having the stamina to write up your (interesting) story, and for being honest enough to appraise the experience in public

Back
Top Bottom