Snoopy's Morocco Adventure

Well done Snoopy. Excellent photos and a great write up. You're always going to get sniped at by some of the "special" members of this forum but you get my total respect. I'm sure you've inspired a few Morrocan dreams and future trips with this post. :D

TERRY RYAN said:
dont worry about some of the negative comments, some are just from people who sit behind computers all day learning from other people mistakes instead (via internet)of getting of there lards and finding out first hand about travel culture adventure

Flashman said:
You're always going to get sniped at by some of the "special" members of this forum ...

If either of these comments are aimed at me or Jon (the only two that I can see on this thread that have been in any way critical) then, gentlemen, I'd suggest that YOU do a little more research and prep as both of us are reasonably well qualified in this subject matter!

Greg

Finally got to finish reading this & all I can say is RESPECT :bow :bow

Did Morocco for the first time (& I'm twice Snoopy's age :( ) in Jan '06 in company with some other tossers and while there are things I'll do differently next time its a trip I'll always remember ;)

Snoopy, fcuk the begrudgers - you did it your way :thumb

Greg Masters said:
If either of these comments are aimed at me or Jon (the only two that I can see on this thread that have been in any way critical) then, gentlemen, I'd suggest that YOU do a little more research and prep as both of us are reasonably well qualified in this subject matter!
Greg

Cheers dad :D

I've already congratulated Snoopy for doing it, it just came over to me that everything was done last minute, or not at all, and potentially he was reliant on others.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing............

I've seen this happen too many times in other activites where people survive and end up with a false sense of confidence and getting hurt - badly..............try 5 days in a recompression chamber.

Or someone else see what's happening, cos the other doesn't and ends up getting hurt rescuing them or sorting them out.........and that's happened to me. Luckily it was only 6hrs for moi.

Never had an accident, but seen thousands............

There's "feel the fear and do it anyway" and there's...........

I'll stop there then :D

We'll have a beer when we meet Snoopy :beer:

:beerjug:

Jon said:
Cheers dad

tongue1.gif

Well Done Andy! :thumb

Being 23 myself and preparing to leave in June on a 4 months trip around Europe (not as hardcore as Morocco I guess :D ) with my girlfriend, 21, I was very excited by reading your write-up. :clap :clap :clap

About the critics from Jon and Greg, I think they do have a point but they could do with a softer approach, JMHO.

- Are you still going to sell the 1150 and get yourself a 650 after that? :D

- How do you rate the ALPOS panniers?

Cheers :beerjug:

If the cap fits.....

oooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh - where's me 'andbag :dabone

fcasado said:
About the critics from Jon and Greg, I think they do have a point but they could do with a softer approach, JMHO.
Fair point - we all type things and then think "oops, tad harsh, coulda been done better" when we read them the next day :nenau

Yes, very well done Snoopy..excellant read...and it IS AN ADVENTURE after all ( to much health and safety creeping into Adventure Motorcycling if you ask me) ........that most of us can only dream about ( my bad back decides these things for me :( .........and some go but find the offroad bits just to much for them..but at least they try :)

I used to go everywhere without giving it a second thought ( ie took my derry boots in a rucksack to Yugoslavia ( why? ) and with a duff starter motor ( ahem, BMW obviously)..no first aid..little money etc etc...flippin great trip :D

Kenny :thumb

Thanks for going to all the trouble of writing up your trip :thumb

I've really enjoyed reading what I thought was a very honest and inspiring account of your travels.

So, where are you off to next now the bug has inevtably bitten?

Andres

Andy

Respect Bro, You did it your way and got away with it,and Did what many other's will only ever dream of,and have learnt from it.

K

Cheers again for comments - I didn't really think doing it was that big a deal :D . Next trip north pole then.

In July I'm off around Europe with some mates, perhaps Dolomites. Thankfully ones I know well. :thumb

Alpos panniers - can't take much whacking thanks to thinner aluminium. Mine need beating with a large stick. Get what you pay for, unless you buy Ze...

Jeans? Why yes with some breathable waterproofs. That way you wont look like a poof walking around town.

Swapping to a 650? The 1150 is a great bike on road and off it, but it's shit in sand and snow and his a holy mother to pick up. The 650 is comfortable, better MPG and a bit cheaper. The 1150 is overkill. But I love it. Erm... :confused:

Well done sir - I enjoyed reading the report.

I echo Kenny's comments about a little too much health and safety / pipe 'n' slippers appearing.

I remember in my late teens preparing for a long ride meant filling the tank full of petrol and bungeeing a bottle of two stroke oil onto the back rack.

One day I hope I'll get to Morocco.

Thanks for doing the write up Snoopy. It was very enjoyable and what the site ought to be about. As soon as you get on two wheels you take a risk - some think you took too many but you made it through and had a great time that you'll always remember. I still shudder to think of some errors I made mountaineering but I wouldn't have missed those trips for anything!

Really enjoyed your write up snoopy. Did lots of stupid stuff when I was young.........it was great. :D :D :D Only wish I was that age again to enjoy all the mistakes :D

Brilliant,rip up the rule book and do what you want,how you want,when you want.You didn't die,so you have a 100% success rate on your travels without dying.Carry on on your adventures,and always keep us posted :beerjug:

Great read

That was a great experiance, some good and some bad.
I bet you will never forget the feeling of relief when the shepherd came out of the darkness to help you with your bike or sharing his shelter for the night.
Thanks for the write up. :thumb

Fantastic write up and all credit due to you for doing it. At least you had the balls unlike some others................ :beerjug: :beerjug: :clap :clap

Andy

Well done Snoopy! Great write-up and pics. The advantage of being young is that you don't really stop to think what might happen. I was 21 when I first visted Morocco on a bike (1972) and you were certainly better prepared than me. The only part of Morocco that's really dangerous by yourself is the desert in summer.

I returned last night from a solo trip to Morocco, including getting stuck by myself on pistes. I remember thinking at the time of the words in Ted Simon's Jupiter's Travels, something like, "I wonder who is going to come to my help this time." Sure enough a 70-year old Berber woman came along the track and we dragged the GS round on its cylinder head.

I did the piste from Telouet to Ait Benhaddou (what you refer to as Taddert) but had the advantage of having done it before, so knew the tarmac would eventually start again. Saw several dozen 4x4s, one of which had crashed. I also did the piste linking the tops of the Dades and Todra Gorges which goes up to 9000 feet.

I spent the previous night with a Berber family (though without the fleas). If I'd been travelling with a group I doubt the invitation would have been made and I feel I had much more interaction with people by going solo.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom