Northamptonshire Byways

<<Mark_C>>

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been inspired by some of the threads on here (thanks Clive), and I've decided to explore some of the local Byways near me in Northamptonshire. I've got meself an OS map, and had a bit of a reccie of a couple of tracks on foot over the weekend.

At the start of most of the lanes, these signs have been erected (quite recently):-

157dfb06.jpg

Is this some sort of standard warning?
What constitutes damage? (hoof prints?)
Should I care?

It seems that most of the local Byways have been closed over the winter but are due to reopen on 1st May :D So, as from next month I'll make a start on them. Anyone is welcome to join me, bearing in mind I'm a total off road novice and will be on Tourances. Post up if interested.....

Mark

Hi Mark,
I used to do alot of green laning around Northampton and it was only a few years ago that the council started to close them during the winter.(They copied Bedford Council, who had been doing for quite a while prior to this.
The situation was being made worse by people in 4x4's attempting vitually unpassable lanes (Abthorpe)and ripping them to shreds. I remember one getting stuck so badly that they got in something with catapillar tracks to get it out ! also a lot of the lanes are ripped up by Farm Vehicles, but that appears to get overlooked.
I suspect that the that damage done by motorcyles would not be enough to get any of the Northampton lanes closed, which is usually only similar to that caused by horses. I supect that 4x4's could cause problems though.
My bike still only has Road tyres fitted, but if I get them changed or it is very dry, I would be glad to join you. I also have marked maps of the area.
The local TRF used to meet once a month in the "Live and let live" pub in Harpole, useful if you are totally new to Green Laning.

Cheers, Piggers

Mark, if you really need to get some laning done, and only have the GS with tourances on,wait a couple of months and I'll take you over to the cotswolds as there are a handful of stony GS'able tracks there.Most of the Northants lanes are only passable on a light traillie with proper tyres.Ie, they're wet and boggy.I wouldn't attempt them on my GS.Good GS'able lanes are only an hour away. :thumb

A run to the Cotswolds sound good. I'm loathed to change to off road tyres at the mo as my Tourances are only a couple of months old -- still maybe I'll go for some TCK80s next time if I get the bug.

I still might have a go at a couple of lanes near me after a dry spell. After my reccie at the weekend, they seemed quite do-able on road tyres

Mark

If you want some company ill join you on a few recces and the run to the cotswolds.
keep in touch.

Shane

Still not a Sponsor then Blue.....!

Do you want me to pay it for ya if you can`t afford it..?...... :D

Back
Top Bottom