Question on different units / Mapsource versions

markie_wales

Reaction score
OK

I have a 2610 with V8 maps loaded.
My mate ahas a Quest I with V7 loaded.

I'm going down to his tonight for beer / take away curry and we'll probably end up plotting a route for our "whole day pass" on Friday.

So the question is, will we be able to download route created on his PC (V7 and unlocked to his Quest) onto my 2610?

I'm guessing the unlock only refers to the maps, and routes / WP's and tracks can be downbloaded happily, and I'm "sort of" thinking that when the V7 route hits my 2610, the unit will re-calc it using it's V8 maps?

Help......

Mark (Lamb Madras and Old Speckled Hen tonight I think....)

I think you're right, the 2610 will come up with a message along the lines of "the route does not match the maps in your unit, would you like to recalculate".

However, I've noticed that a few waypoints have had to be moved going form V7 to V8 :confused: . Also, there may be issues with the PC connecting to your 2610, as in it wn't / can't recognise it. But I may well be wrong on that. :mmmm

Well, I don't know for sure, but........

Since Tracks can be posted on the internet and then downloaded onto others' PCs for subsequent downloading onto their Garmin, I would imagine that a route, if plotted on your PC and e-mailed to him (or transferred with a pen-drive) would transfer to his Quest, if stored in the right folder on his PC?

It could be worth e-mailing him the route today so that he could try it?

I don't think you can just plug your 2610 into his PC.

Hang on :eek: .....I don't think I've answered your original question, but it could be a way around it if you agree before you visit, what your route will be?

Al :D

No problem at all to connect your GPS unit to any computer with MapSource on it and upload Waypoints, Tracks and Routes.

Waypoints & tracks can be used as is on your unit. OK.

The routes must be recalculated with your map before you can use them. This can be done directly in the unit but the result is somewhat unpredictable. Best procedure is to first download the routes to your own PC, recalculate, and then upload the recalculated routes to the unit.
:type

HMR said:
No problem at all to connect your GPS unit to any computer with MapSource on it and upload Waypoints, Tracks and Routes.

Waypoints & tracks can be used as is on your unit. OK.

The routes must be recalculated with your map before you can use them. This can be done directly in the unit but the result is somewhat unpredictable. Best procedure is to first download the routes to your own PC, recalculate, and then upload the recalculated routes to the unit.
:type

Ahah! That's good to know (I've got Quest + 2610)

Cheers

Al :D

Thanks all - save me draging my laptop down to my mates. They never do quite as well after being immersed in madras.

Cheers

Mark

Mark:

If you think you might be planning routes with your friend again in the future (in other words, if he is someone you regularly ride with), here's a workaround that will greatly simplify things for both of you.

1) Open MapSource on your computer at your home, go to the 'Utilities' menu, select 'Unlock Maps', press 'Next', then select 'Backup my Unlock Codes to a File'. The file will be very small - less than 1 kb - so you can store it on a floppy or USB memory stick, as you wish.

2) Take the media with your unlock file on it and your original version 8 cartography CD to your friend's house. Install the v8 cartography on his computer, then stuff the media with the unlock code on it into his computer, and use the same Unlock Wizard to recover your unlock code and install it.

You will now have both cartographic products on his computer. This means you can create a route, and view the same route in either version of the cartography - just double-click on the route name and select 'recalculate' when you change the underlying map on the computer screen from v7 to v8 or vice-versa. If you notice a deviation due to version changes, you can drop a user waypoint into the route to 'tack' the route to the path you want. After you have reviewed the route with both versions of the map underlying it, save the file (the MapSource file with the route), and then download the route to both of your GPSRs.

As far as I can determine, there is no violation of the letter or the spirit of the licence agreement when you do this, because the map segments from his version 7 cannot be loaded to your GPSR (you don't have an unlock code for V7), and likewise, the map segments from your version 8 cannot be loaded to his GPSR. Just be careful that if you do transfer map segments (as opposed to routes, tracks, or waypoints) that you have the appropriate map 'in view' - either version 7 or 8. Also, your friend will want to ensure that when he plans routes for his own use in the future, that he has 'his' map (version 7) selected - not your map (version 8).

Michael

Pan

That's great - sums it up a treat, I'll mail him the unlock codes, and take down my DVD next time I go. Glad it isn't against the spirit of the licence as well, Garmin seems like "good eggs" to me, and I don't want to screw them.

cheers

Mark

markie_wales said:
That's great - sums it up a treat, I'll mail him the unlock codes, and take down my DVD next time I go.
Just a thought, but it may be worth you checking whether his computer can read DVDs first. I had Version 7 on my work computer, but my pc can only read CDs not DVDs.

PanEuropean said:
1) Open MapSource on your computer at your home, go to the 'Utilities' menu, select 'Unlock Maps', press 'Next', then select 'Backup my Unlock Codes to a File'. The file will be very small - less than 1 kb - so you can store it on a floppy or USB memory stick, as you wish.
This works fine. OK. But there are some issues you need to consider.

If you dont own an USB-stick you may bring the 25 character unlock codes on paper. Or maybe bring only your Cupon Code and use that to retreive your unlock codes from the Garmin website!

If you are using an upgraded version of the map (for example you may have bought an unit with CN6 and later upgraded to CN8) then you must install the unlock codes for both CN6 and CN8 on your friends computer or else it will not work. :eek

Doing it the way Pan suggests will automatically install all codes needed.

Back
Top Bottom