GS1200 & GSA12 hugger

shedracer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I`m still waiting to collect my GSA12 (next week I hope), I have nothing better to do than search for huggers (yes I know the grass needs cutting, house painting etc,etc :( ). Any way I came across this, http://boxer-design.de/en/hirakotree1200gs.htm

Any body using it, what do you think? Its got a similar look to it like the TT hugger. Its much more expensive though.

Looks more decorative than functional.

By all reports, MC will have their Mk II hugger out in a few weeks, and it is supposed to work with knobbies a la the Adventure. Their hugger seems to be the king as far as function goes, so in my humble opinion, you might want to have a close look at one when they come out.

Bob

shedracer said:
As I`m still waiting to collect my GSA12 (next week I hope), I have nothing better to do than search for huggers (yes I know the grass needs cutting, house painting etc,etc :( ). Any way I came across this, http://boxer-design.de/en/hirakotree1200gs.htm

Any body using it, what do you think? Its got a similar look to it like the TT hugger. Its much more expensive though.

You'll be aware of my interest before you read this, but I recently evaluated this BoxerDesign hugger on my bike, ridden about 650 miles over our Loch Fyne weekend two weeks ago.

Fitting is easy, as it utilises the torque arm bolt (longer one included with the kit) and the formost securing screw for the rear brake cable shroud which runs along the top of the torque arm.

It is very well made and very rigid when first secured.

No fitting instructions were included.

Widthwise it provides plenty of cover but stretches rearwards nowhere near far enough to provide an effective solution for any water/mud thrown forwards by the rotation of the meal. Both my wife & myself were filthy by the time we got home....

During the weekend away the hugger virtually self-destructed.......

About 600 miles into our journey we stopped at Biggar for fuel to find that the hugger had been in contact with the rear tyre to the extent that two large areas of the hugger had been worn right through to daylight.

The tyre had warm sticky areas around it's circumference but I had no indication of it rubbing as I was riding.....two up....full luggage......music in my ears etc, etc........

First of all the GRP around the large mounting bolt had apparently sheared leaving the hugger without any support at that point and the forward mounting screw had worn a hole through the GRP as no metal bush had been used during construction.......

This hugger has been returned to Edmund @ BoxerDesign who says he's never seen anything like it before......so I've another one on the way to enable our evaluation to continue.

Perhaps our customers will now understand why it is taking us so long to launch our MKII hugger as we're not only testing our own offering to destruction but also all our competitor products to ensure we don't make the same (if any) mistakes they have.

I wouldn't normally make public comment about a competitor product but believe the safety implications justify my doing so on this occasion.

I know Edmund lurks here so he'll have the opportunity to respond......but I will not be posting any images.

Cheers

Dutch

Dutchman said:

Perhaps our customers will now understand why it is taking us so long to launch our MKII hugger as we're not only testing our own offering to destruction but also all our competitor products to ensure we don't make the same (if any) mistakes they have.

Cheers

Dutch

Ok ... but when??? ...

It is in many cases only the absence of the MC unit that is making peeps like shedracer and myself look elsewhere for our huggers.

How long does it take to clock up some miles etc ... come on :(

With a big European trip looming in the next 2 weeks I am currently seriously considering the Wunderlich unit.

bsogri said:
www.busters-accessories do one for £55 give it a go

This link is not working for me :nenau

It has beem mentioned before that Busters do a hugger for the 1200GS, but when I looked I couldn't find any mention of it :nenau :nenau

A bit of guidence for the blind man would be usfual :beerjug:

Dutchman...

Dutchman said:

Any news on progress please??

I've been wanting a hugger for the 1200 ever since I first took it out in the rain... I had a good look at one of yours (presumably a 'Mark 1') fitted to a customer's bike at Allan Jeffries, and it looked like a good piece of gear. If the updated version is even slightly better it will be a top class job. :thumb

So come on, what's the news? My money's waiting!!!

Ian said

"Try this link

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/search.asp

Then enter "1200gs hugger" into the search."

I tried it and got a bit of text but no pix, have you seen one? £55 is overpriced for a bit of plastic, but I've no idea how the rest of the manufactures of huggers sleep on a night. Outwageous. :spitfire
Suddenly, £55 seems fair!

I've emailed Busters for some detail and pix so if it's a link I'll post it up here. :)

Back
Top Bottom