Top Box Fall Off

Karn-Evil

Ive just finished work.As i was riding home a car approaching me swerved towards me!The reason my top box had fallen off and had bounced into the path of the on comming car.I had to swerve out of the way hitting the kerb and buckling both alloy wheels in the process.Now the whole bike does not feel right who the hell is gonna pay for the damage?These top boxes just dont seem safe to use.

yes thats right a bmw own brand.Im just lucky to be alive to tell ya.

Been on to the dealer.I believe that they seem to think i may have a warranty claim for the top box but nothing else,been on to my insurance to see how i stand(Not very helpfull really but then again it is BMW's Insurance....what can I expect) and mondial are coming to pick it up.

Not quite with you
You swerved to avoid oncoming car, hit the kerb and hitting the curb is what dislodged the top box.
Is that right ???

glad your in one piece either way :)

redcastle said:
Not quite with you
You swerved to avoid oncoming car, hit the kerb and hitting the curb is what dislodged the top box.
Is that right ???

glad your in one piece either way :)

No the car had to swerve to miss my top box,I had to swerve to miss the car!

I dont know, but it seems to me that if the top box falling off caused the whole incident then BMW should pick up the tab including wheels etc.
I'd get witness statements if you can to make your case. The more evidence you have that the top was to blame for the whole incident the more chance you have of getting full compensation

redcastle said:
I dont know, but it seems to me that if the top box falling off caused the whole incident then BMW should pick up the tab including wheels etc.
I'd get witness statements if you can to make your case. The more evidence you have that the top was to blame for the whole incident the more chance you have of getting full compensation

My thoughts exactly.

You'll need to kick up a Big Fuss about the top box causing the accident, and emphesizing the near death situation it could have caused 'not only for you but potentialy others' (overted only by 'your' high level of skill as a rider, thus being able to avoid a potentialy fatle accident, that they BMW 'by way of the inadequet top box fixing' would ultimately have been responsible for.

Good luck. Don't let the cost have to be carrid by your insurance (wich is underwritten by Devitt who are nothing to do with BMW, they also offer single make insurance for other makes) We'll all lose out if we don't stand up and point the finger of blame.

I haven't lost my box yet, but it has been replaced. I keep checking to see if the crack has reapeared. If it does I'll be asking for somthing else that is safer.

Speak to your insurance company pronto. Tell them that the top box coming off caused the series of events that followed, as said before get a witness statement from the driver of the car and as many others as possible, let your insurance company know that there is an issue with 1200 top boxes coming off (which you found out after the incident following your posts on here) and point them in the direction of BMW. If this fails then, presuming you have legal cover, set a claim rolling for your uninsured losses.

Hope you're not too shook up!

Dave

Thanks everyone for those words of advice i shall certainly act on them,the problem with the witness is that he just shouted abuse at me and drove off im not sure if anyone else saw what happened.I was all so quick.I hadnt realised the wheels had gone until i set off again.Will have a word with the legal people i think.Mondial have picked up the machine to take it to Southport Superbikes,they are a good bunch there and im sure they will check it out for me to make sure there aint any hidden damage.Cheers All i will keep you posted.

Sorry to hear about your top box incident, mine fell off whilst the mechanic was doing the road test on my 12,000 mile service! I understand there has been a modification since my origional was fitted in sept 04' and it's true the new one feels much more secure than the old. I would be interested to know whether yours was fitted before or after the mod. which i think was discussed on this forum a while back. Anyway good luck with your insurance claim.

top box

There was a thread on this in the last 3 or so months - do a search and you will find it. My top box also flew off on a number of occasions. I am amazed that BMW are still fitting them - you'll see from the previous thread that this is now a well documented problem worldwide.

For my sins I am a lawyer and I advised my local dealer that selling these boxes was negligent when the issues with the boxes were well known.

BMW should sort your bike out - the only "evidence" you need to put in front of them will be a trawl of this site.

Karn-Evil said:
Ive just finished work.As i was riding home a car approaching me swerved towards me!The reason my top box had fallen off and had bounced into the path of the on comming car.I had to swerve out of the way hitting the kerb and buckling both alloy wheels in the process.Now the whole bike does not feel right who the hell is gonna pay for the damage?These top boxes just dont seem safe to use.
"They all do that, Sir!" :rolleyes:

I lost 3 top boxes due to the fact that they are crap
Plastic fastening mechanism ffs. Also the locks spring out easily.

Basically, useless expensive kit!

BMW have given me a full refund for the top box system. I told them it's not fit for the purpose for which it was sold to me.

In other parts of the world BMW dealers bolt the box down at sale, which seems to be defeating the point of "detachable luggage"

It appears that it is going to need a serious accident with obvious PRODUCT LIABILITY issues before BMW can be bothered to do something about their crappy top-box system for the UK market.

There, got it off my chest.

Pet hate with the 12GS, Variobox system "vari-NO-Box"

Get rid and get refunds before something nasty happens. (again)

BMW Have graciously agreed to replace my bike I have to pay a small sum but at least i am going to be able to start with a clean sheet.May i take the oppertunity to thank all at SOUTHPORT SUPERBIKES and especially Jim and Roy for their help ,patience and sympathy through all my trials and tribulations with that particular machine now my only problem is Yellow or Grey..............................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Back
Top Bottom