LOAN BIKES

david

Reaction score
Hello all , naming no names or dealers am i being unreasonable in requesting a loan bike when my bike is being serviced on a saturday, i was told that they are now SERVICING AND CLEANING the loan bikes on a saturday ,so one might not be available for me ,please bear in mind i have spent over 11k on a new 1200adv..many thanks

Sounds like cobblers to me. Why should it matter what day you want to have your bike serviced? You still need a loan bike.

Completely reasonable request.

Simple course of action really.

Ask how far in advance one has to book to get a loan bike on a Saturday.

The answer will either be a) x weeks or b) never.

You know exactly where you stand and what you have to do in either case.

I would like to know the name of the dealer and the answer you get.

I think you`ll find that by their very name alone,LOAN BIKES aren`t something to be DEMANDED there and then,but for a LOAN of them to be requested at a mutually convenient time.

You`ve got no god given right to a loan bike unless it`s written into the terms and conditions of your bike`s bill of sale....regardless of much you paid.

I have to agree with the wheel polisher. I always try to book in advance and actually try my best to drop my bike off when I can get a lift back with someone else so as not to put too much demand on the loan bikes. I also take all the panniers off so as not to take up needless workshop space.

I've found that my dealership (Balderston) really appreciate this.

I don't think it's about "I've spent x amount..." As Tarka says it's not the Dealership's obligation.

When I have needed a loaner I've never been let down but then I've always booked it well in advance.

Give and take :)

I asked for a Saturday service and was told that it was out of the question :spitfire

Should have a loan bike though when it goes in on Thursday although probably wont have any petrol in and I have to pay for the insurance :confused:

Still at least you can get test rides on BM's :clap

Got a Saturday service plus a loan bike, at very short notice, from Allan Jefferies.

We have a very flexible approach with loan bikes ... if you are booking your bike in for more than a couple of hours then we will ask when we book you in if you want one or not ... if you say you don't then change your mind when you get here then nothing is guaranteed ... some customers take the piss and will demand one for an MOT ... we had a guy try and book his bike in for an MOT midweek and wanted a courtesy bike from the previous Saturday till the following Tuesday ... he openly admitted that he wanted to go on holiday on it as he didn't want to put the miles on his own ... this happens more than you'd think ... I have had customers in for a minor fault and when I have rang them to tell them its finished they are on their way to London ... they are for getting you home or getting you to work ... thats it...

But the worst customers are the ones that refuse to go home on an F650 ... I have had people screaming blue murder at the thought of doing 30 miles on a brand new F650GS ... they get nothing ... and they certainly don't get discount...

We used to have 3 loan bikes ... one for each mechanic ... most of the time it was enough ... but all it took was for something to run over till the next day and if the guy booked for the next morning wanted one as well we were in the sheet ... so we got more ... and more ... and we still run out...

If more customers just thought on and made the time for their service rather than just demanding a loan bike because they want a ride around then you would all have a cheaper bill at the end of the day ... they cost an awful lot of money to keep on the road...

Just ask your self ... how long is the service? ... how long will it take me to get home? ... have I got anything important to do when I get there? ... not wanting to be an arse but this is the real world ... if you've got to get back to work then they really should help you out ... if its just to cure your boredom then tough...

schiannini said:
I have to agree with the wheel polisher. I always try to book in advance and actually try my best to drop my bike off when I can get a lift back with someone else so as not to put too much demand on the loan bikes. I also take all the panniers off so as not to take up needless workshop space.

I've found that my dealership (Balderston) really appreciate this.

I don't think it's about "I've spent x amount..." As Tarka says it's not the Dealership's obligation.

When I have needed a loaner I've never been let down but then I've always booked it well in advance.

Give and take :)

And thats the kind of attitude that makes your dealer like you ... and if they like you they are much more inclined to go out on a limb for you ... always a good idea to mention it to the people at the dealership when you book your bike in ... just in case they don't know what a helpful chap you are when they are making the bill up...

Ste@SSB said:
But the worst customers are the ones that refuse to go home on an F650 ... I have had people screaming blue murder at the thought of doing 30 miles on a brand new F650GS ... they get nothing ... and they certainly don't get discount...

My first shock on being offered a F650 Dakar was that the eat is taller than on my GS, although it does sink more once you're on the saddle.

My second shock was to discover just how fast, flickable and fun the 650 was. I recall thinking that it'd make a very nice 'Sunday morning' bike for having a blat round the smaller roads in my locality.

To be fair, SPC have offered an provided a loan bike every time I've needed one, and even provided a variety of bikes to 'try out', ranging from the afore-mentioned F650 Dakar, to a R1200RT. I really enjoyed the R850, and even the 1150 Rockster.

That's a damned sight more than I've ever been offered at either my Honda or Suzuki dealer.

Tne F650 is a seriously fun bike and I actually rather look forward to having it as a loan bike.

Paul

Ste@SSB said:
...But the worst customers are the ones that refuse to go home on an F650 ... I have had people screaming blue murder at the thought of doing 30 miles on a brand new F650GS ... they get nothing ... and they certainly don't get discount...

A lift to the medical centre where I work is all I really want.

A loan bike is appreciated though. I wouldn't care what it was, either. I think our local dealer uses an R850R Classic as a loan bike. Seems an OK set up to me.

I'll remember to take my panniers off too.

Now, here's an interesting story. I'm a relatively new biker. I bought my R850R last year and put a deposit on an R1200GSA in August shortly afterwards. When the GSA was launched, I really found it too big and try as I might, I just couldn't dial into it. So I went for an R1200GS that they had in stock. I bought and paid for it in full, but owing to a lack of technicians, I couldn't take delivery of it until, they said, this coming Wednesday 19th April. Disappointing, as I wanted it for Easter weekend, but, hey, it couldn't be done, so I accepted that with good grace and said that was OK, I'd rather have it PDI'd properly than have the job rushed.

A patient of mine, when I related this to him, said I was mad, I should call the dealer principal and raise merry hell. It was his problem, not mine, he said.

I smiled and said I wouldn't do that, because it would spoil the relationship I had with the dealer and besides, I had been so philosophical about it that I reckoned that if they could possibly manage it, then I was sure they would. Sure enough, last Tuesday I had a call saying the bike would be ready the next day.

Says it all. Treat people properly and courteously and you get good service.

J

When you get a loan bike do you insure and sign a disclaimer that you'll pay for any damage etc?

Not exactly sure what the position is, but I always have a concern that when asked to sign for the cost, value etc. that if I crash a demonstrator / loan bike that my insurance will only cover me third party. as I'd not informed them.

I would then have a serious problem, I'm in effect loosing the price of my own bike.

What does everybody else do??

Sign the disclaimer????

Should the dealer not have insurance for these situations???? :ymca :nenau :nenau

Boxed-in said:
When you get a loan bike do you insure and sign a disclaimer that you'll pay for any damage etc?

Not exactly sure what the position is, but I always have a concern that when asked to sign for the cost, value etc. that if I crash a demonstrator / loan bike that my insurance will only cover me third party. as I'd not informed them.

I would then have a serious problem, I'm in effect loosing the price of my own bike.

What does everybody else do??

Sign the disclaimer????

Should the dealer not have insurance for these situations???? :ymca :nenau :nenau

I think the dealers do. Certainly at NOG (and previously at Hughenden), you just signed to cover the excess (albeit at £500).

I also recall that if you had BMW insurance, you were covered automatically. Don't know if that was/is true though.

Paul

John Armstrong said:
Last time I had a loaner at Williams, this was the case. :)

I ring up BMW insurance - opens at 8 a.m. - and advise them of the loan machine reg/type. Cover tranferred F.O.C. . When I get quotes from other insurers they always charge.
According to how many loan/demo bikes get dropped, there can be a MASSIVE difference in dealers insurance excesses. Of my 2 nearest dealers, one has an excess of 350 pounds and the other 1000 pounds.

My dealer told me the excess is £1K :nono . Ok they want people to take care of the bike but its a bit steep if something happens. BMW told me I could put another bike eg. loan bike on my policy for up to 5 days for free :clap so then it will have the same excess as my bike :thumb

USA Version

I always got a free loaner from Park Lane....it was like renting the bike for free when I went in. They had C1's, RT's and Rs

Over here, anytime my bike is off the road, service etc I get to pick any demo bike out front and have it for that period of time. You have to sign a document to accept the 500 dollar premium, but other than that you are all ready to roll. Max my local guy even gave me a bmw to gerbing socket adaptor to allow my heated gear to work on the loaner.

Great service over here.....it really is very different, I don't miss the UK from that perspective.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom