Steptoes Moroccan Dash - A Ride Report

Well done chaps...

I would have loved to come with you but I don't like gritty sandwiches.

What's happend to Novice? Is he back yet or has he opened up a stall in the Souk?

darkhorse said:
great stuff, I am even more pissed off that I couldn't make it along

:clap :thumb :clap :thumb :clap

Me too. But being a twat its probably better I didnt :D

So what about these rumours of the train journey Roger?

Dahoum said:
So what about these rumours of the train journey Roger?

I fear Steptoe may have been feeding our travel reporter in NI some miss-information during our trip :D

Great report, looks and sounds like you had a good time, and some great photos too. It's made my mind up for me: I will get to Morocco next year. Especially now I know it can be done in a (high mileage) week. Out of interest, what was your total mileage for the trip?

Robin.

Whatton said:
I fear Steptoe may have been feeding our travel reporter in NI some miss-information during our trip :D

I only reported the facts... as how they were presented to me :D

the pics of trains tells it all :D

An excellent report.. :thumb it made great reading. Certainly makes me want to do that at some stage..

I enjoyed reading it. I would have enyoyed being there even better ;) , I take my hat off to you guys - you really are "Hardcore" :thumb

James Burton said:
From Sunshineland via Rabat , Casablanca then Marrakesh and back , 5273 miles :eek: ( sat nav )

Light weight :ymca

:thumb

James your my hero and I want to have your babies. Have you cleaned your bike yet, I seem to remember you were going to dip it in a vat of Autoglym when you got home :thumb

You've been 'ad !

Steppers knew all about the road to Zoumi, nice write up though !

Well, well - it was just a germ of an idea, as i was riding back from morocco in january, i'd never enjoyed a ride so much. But what really made the difference was the riding through France and Spain, in two hits. It intensified the feelings and the experiance, i can't understand why you would want to get a ferry to spain, it seems to lack the feel of riding across countries to reach a far away destination, and the incredible statisfaction you get knowing you've covered every one of those miles under your own steam on your own sore arse :D

And the germ of an idea was duly put into action, on Saturday 8th April -

The only plan was the starting day, and the finish day. No point on planning anything through morocco, because we didn't know for sure when we would be arriving, hell, i didn't even know how many would be going. No one would be excluded, everyone welcome. The UKGSER mantra. I just stressed to the "low mileage", inexperienced riders how hard it would be, and just let them make up their own minds.

I hoped to be crossing into morocco sometime on the Monday, expected it to be late afternoon. And was very pleased to be on the 10am crossing.
We had mentioned and posted up about marrakesh, mountain passes and the Todra gorge before leaving. Not as definate locations, but what could possibly be expected. Again, i didn't want to pressurise the inexperienced, if we made it, great, if we didn't , no disappointments.

Everyone was allowed an input, and threw in ideas of where they'd like to go, and what to see.
Some excelled in what they pushed themselves to do, who i'm sure hadn't thought they'd be doing such things - Novice, take a bow, i feel proud of you, and know you'll remember some of the ride for years to come.

The ride was good, the distance we covered in the days we had, and the things we still managed to fit in and experienced were amazing.

I'd like to thank every single one of you, for the riding, the fun, the laughs, the "craic", the one liners, the jokes. And most of all, the memories.

All this, and most of the guys hadn't even met each other before April the 8th.

Just thought i'd like to mention, i had another germ of an idea on the way back. Watch this space .

What an experience!

It has been challenging ride but I am glad I did it. Even the shit road to Zoumi.

The scenary and the roads were absolutely amazing. The company was great and people were getting a little too familar :ymca

Attachments

• Bill&Kev.JPG
    Bill&Kev.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,810
Excellent Pics and Report :thumb . Have fancied Moroc for a while, think that's just turned into a burning need to go !

Novice said:
The scenary and the roads were absolutely amazing. The company was great and people were getting a little too familar :ymca

I've always liked that scene in Titanic
a070.gif

Back
Top Bottom