Hello S1 - Goodbye Tour-X

wildernessrob

Reaction score
This could turn into an expensive mistake, but Im afraid the "O - so - sexy - Arai Tour-X has got to go :(

Its just too damm noisy for me, and no amount of "Torbinating" + earplugs, makes enough improvement for me. So its off to Ebay with it, which I might regret :rolleyes:

So today Ive had a little run out, and bought myself a Schuberth S1, which is what I wanted to buy in the first place, before I was seduced by the that evil, sexy Tour-X temptress :kissy2 :kissy2

I bought it from a company called "Helmet City", who operate out of a small industrial unit in Tatsfield, near Oxted (about 6 o'clock on the M25 circle).

I cost me £279.00 which is one of the best prices that Ive see for the S1. The chap in the office was very helpful. He said that they buy in wholesale quantities, which is why they are cheaper then the dealers. He also sells Shoei's.

If you are trying to find the place, you need to turn into the entrence signposted for the Reptile Zoo :nenau . Helmet City (its not quite as big as a city :D , share the unit with another company that sell MX and Trials
clothing and equipment, if thats your bag. Worth a look if your in the S.E. of England.

Now then, does anyone want this Tour-X :eek:

I've had a S1 for about six months/3k miles now and I have to say I don't agree with the review that much.
Price
I got mine from Crusader Leathers in Chesterfield (Shuberth Dealers) for a fair price (around £300, can't remember exactly) It seems to me that compared to other helmets of this quality (arai, shoei, not to mention BMW etc) its about right.
Weight
No two ways about it, it's lighter than my previous shoei, AGV's (x2) and my wifes Suomy (which is a smaller size than mine)
Sun visor
Absolutly brilliant!!! Can't imagine buying a helmet without it now and there's no distortion that I can see. Also if the lower edge get in the way you can turn the visor round so that theres no cut out (sort of fighter pilot look 'v' judge dread look)
Strap fastener
Mine has 'doudle d' type fitting which I prefer. I believe that all new S1's have this fitting in response to customer feedback.
Noise
I usually ride without ear plugs (don't like 'em) and I would say the noise is resonable, its not whisper quiet but then I didn't expect it to be, I am riding a GS after all!
Visor
I must say that if I had a gripe it would be the visor, more specifically the anti-mist coating on the inside. When I first got the S1, after about a week the coating started peeling off. I took the visor back to crusader who changed it immediatly and without question. Since then I've not had it peeling but in some conditions it still mists up unless driving at motorway speeds.
Fit
In this the review is correct. You will need the next size up to your normal size. I was worried that the helmet would get 'baggy' with use but so far not a bit. I find it comfortably 'snug'

Incidentally I have to comment about Crusader- they are excellent, very helpful at purchase (I think I probably tried on every helmet in the shop) and no quibbles when I had a problem (swopped my defective visor with a new one from a helmet as they didn't have a spare in stock)

All in all I'm very happy and would certainly recommend the S1 and Crusader Leathers

Hope this helps

I have to say I was disappointed with the S1, found the fit not very good - pressure points across my forehead - and didn't give with time. And I found on a GS12 it was very noisy with a big deep boom due no doubt to the upright riding position and the way the air comes off the screen, no matter how I set the screen it didn't go away - this was with earplugs (definitely noisier than my v noisy arai quantum F). On the upside, the dark visor was great and when the time came the lid did a very good job of saving my bonse in a big crash.

So, good where it counted but I won't be replacing it with another S1.

wildernessrob said:
This could turn into an expensive mistake, but Im afraid the "O - so - sexy - Arai Tour-X has got to go :(

Its just too damm noisy for me, and no amount of "Torbinating" + earplugs, makes enough improvement for me. So its off to Ebay with it, which I might regret :rolleyes:

So today Ive had a little run out, and bought myself a Schuberth S1, which is what I wanted to buy in the first place, before I was seduced by the that evil, sexy Tour-X temptress :kissy2 :kissy2

I bought it from a company called "Helmet City", who operate out of a small industrial unit in Tatsfield, near Oxted (about 6 o'clock on the M25 circle).

I cost me £279.00 which is one of the best prices that Ive see for the S1. The chap in the office was very helpful. He said that they buy in wholesale quantities, which is why they are cheaper then the dealers. He also sells Shoei's.

Great helmet. Nice and quite too.

Best thing I did was to fit the pinlock visor - avoids all the problems with the anti-fog coating on the standard. Available for around €70 from Germany

Hello S1

So far so good. I had a long ride into work today, and was impressed with the feel, fit and comfort of the S1.

Im sure that its not the lightest helmet on the market, but I think this is less of a problem on a GS, rather then a sports bike, where the weight of the helmet is hanging forward on the end of your neck. Besides having strapped assorted crappy helmets like "Stadium's" on my head over the years, its not an issue.

The visor is an excellent fit with a positive action for open, closed and "slight vent" positions.

I didnt really play with the venting system, but the front and top vents feel positive and glove friendly. I think that the under chin skirt could make it abit stuffy, when riding in town in the hottest weather.

The one that I have bought has come with the seat belt type strap, which I know that alot of people dont like. Ive had a similar setup on my earlier Shoei, which was aways reliable, so Im no too bothered. I thought that I read some where that it was possible to buy them with a conventional D-ring type srap, but I dont know if this is true or not.

The sun visor system is excellent. Again its a nice positive, glove friendly button on the left side of the helmet. It comes in to is its own when "making progress" on the B-roads, where the light changes between bright sunlight, and darkness created by heavy tree canopy.

Should have bought with my head, rather then my heart in the first place. :loopy

Attachments

• S1.JPG
    S1.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 533
Goodbye Tour-X

Here she is, the evil temptress, that :spank slinky, stylish, DESIRABLE :bounce1 helmet.

The sort of helmet that would lure a man into the motorcycle shop on his way home to his family, and seduce him with its wanton good looks, and promises of an immorally good time together.

Caught at a moments weakness, I turned my back on thoroughly decent, wholesome, but rather conservative S1, for what I would be hours of pleasure with my new sexy friend. Only too find out that it howled louder then Glen Close, in a rabbit skinning contest. :eek:

Anyway Ive come to my senses, and you are out of here YOU HUSSEY!......................................................................................................Then again you look so damm good! Maybe I just misunderstood you, should I try again, just once more for old times sake? It could be our secret! :tosser :tosser :tosser :tosser :tosser

Attachments

• Tour-X.JPG
    Tour-X.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 530
schuberth s1

Glad to hear you finaly got the helmet you hankered after, hope you manage to off load the Arai, I now have to confess I have ended up buying an S1 myself, and I have to say up to now I;m glad your Tour X was not the right size after all. It was a toss up whether to get the tour X or the S1, but I found that Busters were discounting them for £250, so after a phone call, they offered a drudi Blue for £220, And after contacting Schuberth direct to see if there was any difference with the Drudi designs and the plain helmets, i could;nt resist. I was a bit worried about the colour at first, it looked crap on their web site, but as i;m not a victim of fashion I was;nt bothered at that price. but it does;nt look too bad in the flesh, and it has also come fitted with the double D ring instead of the buckle system which I;m more comfortable with. I;m happy with the fit, its a bit tight at the moment but I;m sure it will loosen as it get used. not too sure about the visor, the anti mist coating does;nt work as well as a fog city insert, and I;m not sure whether you will be able to fit one because of the shape. Anyway I only hope it gives as good service as my last helmet which was a quantum F, a bit on the noisey side, but really comfortable :thumb

I'm lucky enough to get on with both my S1 and Tour-X. The former the quieter, less draughty helmet a very close fit and the Tour-X the more open, fresher helmet more suited to shorter distances or warmer days.

Neither could I use withouth anti-fog help, in the Tour-X's case a Fog City insert was the easy and very satisfactory solution and in the S1, not so easy due to the visor design, though I picked up on my travels the pin-lock visor with anti-fog insert and I have reached my Nirvana.

Schuberth's UK distributor and retailers are generally in denial about the existance of such a thing, luckily in Germany where I sourced mine they were more obliging.

Evil Temptress

So, did you sell the tour x and if not, is it for sale, and the size :nenau if so pm me
Cheers
Steve

Does anyone who wears an S1 wear glasses ? I'm interested to know whether it's possible to use the S1's sun visor while wearing glasses.

denester said:
I'm lucky enough to get on with both my S1 and Tour-X. The former the quieter, less draughty helmet a very close fit and the Tour-X the more open, fresher helmet more suited to shorter distances or warmer days.

Neither could I use withouth anti-fog help, in the Tour-X's case a Fog City insert

After having the sportintegral, and it's entertaining feature of riding blind when it's wet I've been considering the C2 or Tour X. The Tour X is edging it at the moment as I try and be a fair wether biker, but don't like the idea of being blind / blinded in the wet.

Pint6x said:
Does anyone who wears an S1 wear glasses ? I'm interested to know whether it's possible to use the S1's sun visor while wearing glasses.

I wear glasses, and the visor is fine. there is a little more distortion, but that probably has more to do with wearing glasses .

Pint6x said:

I do, not a problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom