A Chance to Make a Difference

Namastebuzz

As some of you may know, we’ve ridden out here, to the Kathmandu Valley to do voluntary work, with VSN Nepal, for 5 months.

We started work in January in an orphanage with 34 children, mostly from Humala, a deprived area in the far northwest of Nepal. The kids are usually brought here under false pretences by unscrupulous traffickers who promise to provide a good life. Relatives pay heftily for this but are cheated as the kids get nothing.

When we arrived – the 34 kids were sleeping in 8 beds. They had no food (they were begging for it), no medical care, no warm clothes, no schooling and the rent was unpaid. They were malnourished and lice and scabies were rife. Lal, a 3yr old boy, had horrific facial burns, sustained as a baby from steam. We were able to find a fantastic German run plastic surgery hospital to start repairing his face.

We’ve been able to arrange temporary funding for food and have taken all the kids to free clinics and improved hygiene. Other volunteers have funded new beds and kitchen equipment. We are hoping to secure permanent long term funding but we need help now.

If you want to make a real difference, right now, all we’re asking for is a one time payment of ₤7.50. It’s not a lot.

Why ₤7.50? Well ₤7.50 feeds one kid for 28days. It puts one kid in school for 1 year. It covers uniform/books/exams for 1yr. It pays a host of medical/travel costs. It's a small amount to give but goes a long way here.

If you donate – the cash goes straight to the problem. We spend it where it’s needed. No wastage.

I’ve had a lot of help and support on these pages. I’m only doing this on here and my local club site. I’m asking people to trust me and to help. I understand if people have other commitments.

These kids have no life and no hope but it’s surprising how much a little bit of cash can change that.

If you want to help: PM me for Paypal, bank acc pay in/transfer or cheque posting details. You can also e-mail me on namstebuzz@hotmail.com

You can see an update on my Nepal trip here

So far only ONE person has responded.

Am I pitching it wrongly or is it in the wrong place?

Namastebuzz said:
You can see an update on my Nepal trip here

So far only ONE person has responded.

Am I pitching it wrongly or is it in the wrong place?

I'm in Australia and I don't know you from a bar of soap but having travelled in Nepal and being very well aware of conditions in that country, I'm very pleased to be to be able to help in a small way. I figure I can give up the cost of a tankful of fuel to help you help others who are in a far worse state than I am.
Nepal is one of, if not the poorest country in the world. UKGSers can afford to buy doodads for their bikes, talk about getting together to help each other fit said doodads but seem to be slow to help another UKGSer who is doing a hell of a lot more.
Priorities!

Brian.

Generosity

Footloose

Have just read your post and would like to add my 2p's worth, I agree with you that the response to his apppeal has been to say the least dissapointing
but like you very few member's myself included Know Namastebuzz so this may be part of the problem,unlike other Tosser's who are WELL known on the Forum and enjoy the support of the majority of the Guy's and Gal's.

There have been a number of Fund raising event's carried out by the UKgser's in the last two year's that I have been a member and they have been well supported so I don't Doubt the Generosity of the member's of this Forum.

If some of the Mod's read Namastebuzz's Thread (Aberdeen to Katmandu) they may consider raising it's profile and the response may improve

K

Klinger said:
Footloose

Have just read your post and would like to add my 2p's worth, I agree with you that the response to his apppeal has been to say the least dissapointing
but like you very few member's myself included Know Namastebuzz so this may be part of the problem,unlike other Tosser's who are WELL known on the Forum and enjoy the support of the majority of the Guy's and Gal's.

There have been a number of Fund raising event's carried out by the UKgser's in the last two year's that I have been a member and they have been well supported so I don't Doubt the Generosity of the member's of this Forum.

If some of the Mod's read Namastebuzz's Thread (Aberdeen to Katmandu) they may consider raising it's profile and the response may improve

K

Namastebuzz, joined 27/6/05, 69 posts.
I haven't read all of namastebuzz's posts but I did recognise the name immediately. I don't suppose any of us are likely to get to "know" him unless we make the trip to Nepal ourselves or wait until he gets back for a face to face, unlikely in my case as I live in Australia.
I realise that there has been good support for various appeals via this site but I wonder if the lack of interest in this case is because namastebuzz is so far away and if there is a case of, well it's Nepal, hardly on my back step.
7.50 pounds is AU$18, I put it this way so I can better grasp how much this is in real money : ) not a lot to ask for and yet, according to namastebuzz, they can do so much with it.
Perhaps the moderators can do something to raise the profile of this appeal but it seems to me that plenty of members read this section and must know the message is here.

If we keep chattering on like this, at least we will keep the original message at the top of the pile! : )

Hi Footloose

I agree with you £7.50 isn't a lot of money unless you are unemployed, and for that amount you can feed a child for 28 day's it's the price of an Indian take away or 2 x Mc Donalds meals over here. I have PM'd Paul the main Moderator unfortunately at this time he isn't in a position to Raise the profile of this particular cause as the Charity Forum is Full as you can see.
Perhaps the problem lies in that member's are frequently being asked to donate to various charities and begin to begrudge Giving (I don't Know if that's the case here, I know in my place of work for a while we were inundated with request's by colleagues looking for child sponsorships in the various school's, and other charity event's and there were a number of employees who quietly raised the issue as they thought it had got out of hand)

As you have said and I hope you are right that a few other's may read these post's and feel enclined to help out.

K

Many thanks for all the comment - it's all valid.

It's a fair enough point - I'm not that well known on here. I only bought my GS for the Nepal trip. It's also very difficult asking people for money when you know that many people (bikers especially) are very generous and will give freely to many areas. If I gave money to every cause I thought worthwhile - I'd have even less cash than I have now (which is none!).

A lot more people on aberdeenbikers.co.uk responded as I know most of them and have been a regular there for years.

Anyway, a lot of people on here have responded now - and incredibly generously too- so it's looking good.

We're registering all the kids at school today and getting all their uniforms too. They're really excited.

Many thanks to all the donors thus far.

Back
Top Bottom