Help needed understanding Mapsource

I hear what you are saying about Mapsource, and the ability to plan ahead using waypoints etc. All well and good, but if I'm in Italy and my computer is in Cumbria, then a fat lot of use!!!! I also accept the vast ammount of information a Garmin will give me. Very good, but essentially all I ever want to do is go from A to E via B,C and D. I know how steep a hill has been because I can see it. Why do I need a map reference, when the whole point of the software is to get rid of maps.
Am I really missing the point, but the interface on TomTom looks very easy to use; punch in an address or postcode and it routes you there. Basically thats all I ever want from navigation software, the ability to navigate, using the easiest input method possible.
I read pages and pages on this site about Mapsource / Navigator issues. Hardly ever does anyone ever put up a query about TomTom or any other of the makes / models out there. Is it because riders / drivers fing its GUI so easy to use.
Are we deluding ourselves into thinking that Garmin is the best, when infact it is just far too complicated for use by people who have such busy lives or so much lack of inclination that they don't want to wade through mighty software user guides.
I think this whole thread is the best I've read about the issue for quite some time. Keep it going!!!!

jimbo said:
But Mapsource still doesn't :nenau

i think it does if it's the (very) latest version + v.8 NT mapping.

it certainly doesn't on non NT i can say from personal experience :(

YosemitePaul said:
I hear what you are saying about Mapsource, and the ability to plan ahead using waypoints etc. All well and good, but if I'm in Italy and my computer is in Cumbria, then a fat lot of use!!!! I also accept the vast ammount of information a Garmin will give me. Very good, but essentially all I ever want to do is go from A to E via B,C and D. I know how steep a hill has been because I can see it. Why do I need a map reference, when the whole point of the software is to get rid of maps.
Am I really missing the point, but the interface on TomTom looks very easy to use; punch in an address or postcode and it routes you there. Basically thats all I ever want from navigation software, the ability to navigate, using the easiest input method possible.
I read pages and pages on this site about Mapsource / Navigator issues. Hardly ever does anyone ever put up a query about TomTom or any other of the makes / models out there. Is it because riders / drivers fing its GUI so easy to use.
Are we deluding ourselves into thinking that Garmin is the best, when infact it is just far too complicated for use by people who have such busy lives or so much lack of inclination that they don't want to wade through mighty software user guides.
I think this whole thread is the best I've read about the issue for quite some time. Keep it going!!!!

speaking for myself, i would only really want a system where i can route plan on the pc.

if you do it on the unit, there's very little scope for choosing the route. i plotted a route accross france last year that looked scenic on the map, then transferred to mapsource. it took 'kin hours, but i was rewarded with a fantastic route that the gps unit would never have taken if i let it do the donkey work :)

It’s a pity we can’t create the route in Autoroute or MapPoint then transfer it to the GPS directly :(

From Garmin's web site, latest Mapsource release
Added support for postal code based address finding in the UK and the Netherlands. This is available in compatible products, such as City Navigator Europe NT v8 and later versions. Not all MapSource products will be able to use this feature. With compatible products, it will show up as a new tab in the 'Find Places' dialog.'

Looks like I was wrong and cookie was right. Mapsource does as of the lastest version do Postcodes. shame I've got to get V8.

Is V8 the same as V8 NT :nenau

ebbo said:
It’s a pity we can’t create the route in Autoroute or MapPoint then transfer it to the GPS directly :(
I'm hoping someone will say " Oh ! But you can !" :mmmm

Can you make some routes on the mapsource and transfer it to the unit if the PC/Laptop is not connected to the Internet? :nenau

TIA

Fernando

jimbo said:
From Garmin's web site, latest Mapsource release

Looks like I was wrong and cookie was right. Mapsource does as of the lastest version do Postcodes. shame I've got to get V8.

Is V8 the same as V8 NT :nenau

no. there seems to be 2 distinct versions.

i have latest mapsource 6.10.2, downloaded yesterday + city navigator v.8 (non NT for my 2610) & there is no sign of the mentioned "new tab" :(

Daithi said:
I'm hoping someone will say " Oh ! But you can !" :mmmm

i believe you can transfer waypoints via a 3rd party program that i forget the name of. doesn't do routes though.

fcasado said:
Can you make some routes on the mapsource and transfer it to the unit if the PC/Laptop is not connected to the Internet? :nenau

TIA

Fernando

Yes, once everything is loaded, the PC talks to the unit through a cable to download routes, way points, maps etc.

The real strength of Mapsource is you can spend hours with a decent size screen planning your routes carefully. Push a button and its on the GPS (or GSPR if you pan on being picky)

YosemitePaul said:
essentially all I ever want to do is go from A to E via B,C and D

You can do this direct on a Garmin unit, no need to use MapSource at all.

Hardly ever does anyone ever put up a query about TomTom or any other of the makes / models out there

Have a look at My TomTom GO and find all the happy TomTom users :D

I think the benefit of Garmin products is that you get the choice - basic A-B routing on the unit if you want, down to the most convoluted pre-planned routing with the pc software. The Garmins can seem complicated because they offer loads of features, whereas TT launched their range with lack of features as the benefit - A-B with one via point and that's your lot.

I have had both 2610 and TT Go - the TT got stolen and apart from being gutted about the damage to the car :spitfire I was surprised to find that I didn't actually care it had gone, and I won't be replacing it. If my 2610 had met the same fate it would have been replaced the same day!

I've also experienced customer support from both companies - poles apart, and another reason I wouldn't bother with a TT again.

Andy.

Right, carefully tried to reproduce (complete with screenshot) evidence of just how bad mapsource find is...
and it behaved really well and found everything I tried. Looks like a dumb user after all. :loopy

I have read the manual, but to my simple mind it does not explain what a waypoint is....... :eek:

I am planning a trip to Spain through France and want to have 1 route for the journey down and a different route coming back. How can I do it with mapsource? Does anyone know od a simple guide fro me? :eek:

Open a new mapsource file

Stick waypoints in (click on the spots, or copy and paste ones you get from here, or whatever)

Make a route from your start point, to your finish point. [ctrl r] then "insert waypoint".. you can also add other waypoints in besides your start and end one... (put them in order of desired visit)

Now click on the "directions" tab and it will autoroute it for you.

Now, using the zoom and pan tools, follow your route along its length... anyplace you find it going on a road you don't want, use the arrow tool to click on the route, and drag it onto the road you want, you may have to drag it onto more than one place on the road, and you may have to change the routing properties to "shortest distance"

Do this for both directions (and even for each day if you want)... and you will have two different routes (if you want) for there and back...

Al...

worthy said:
Taff. Swansea.........
Just thought if you were nearer to Carmarthen, or on route between Carmarthen, Brecon and Abergavenny next weekend I could drop by on the start of my hols. :bounce1
I'm up to my cravat trying to clear my desk before I leave, but if you wanted to pop down to Carmarthen for say 30 mins after work sometime, with the paper maps, I could help you create a route on my computer, which you could then save to disk or e-mail to yourself.

Taff
That sound greta. I am not going till mid June so have time to plan. How can I contact you?

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom