Morocco - like I said, it won't be easy

Losttheplot said:
To bloody right! :D

or is this a p1ss take? :rolleyes:

Sorry, piss take, I`m a follower not a leader of men !

I curtainly may go again, but I don`t travel well with others as I tend to grate on peoples nerves after a few days, A.D.S.A dignosed. :nono

Tim, there was a short story on RADIO 4 this morning 9.30 ish, think it was called "THE ICE CUBE TRAY NEEDS REPLACING" you need to record it onto CD and send it to anybody that wishes to attend a TIMOLGR TOUR ! :D

Well worth a lissen on BBC DIGITAL PLAYBACK.

Just thought I'd add my bit to this thread as I was actually on the trip. :confused: As Tim mentioned, only two of the riders did all the pistes. I was the least experienced off-road with very little time spent off-road but Tim knew this beforehand. I opted to miss out the Tinerhir loop after careful consideration: it was going to be a long day off tarmac and the weather was suspect for the day. I felt I probably made the right decision. Up until that point I had done all but one piste, including the desert section which I admit I found tough. After this, I would like to think I would have ridden through the Picos with Tim & Ian had it not been for my being taken out by a moped. :spitfire

DavidHale & TimCullis made some good points: it's not allways possible for riders to go out and practice off-road riding. :thumb Instead I spent time trying to improve my fitness level. Much off this was done on my mountain bike, (which incidentally also seemed to help with riding on-piste, especially when descending on rocky patches). As I said, Tim, who had ridden most of the sections before knew of my inexperience but reckoned I'd be alright. Had I known the conditions, I possibly wouldn't have gone. As it turns out he was right. Most of my problems were probably down to lack of confidence in my own ability. I fell over a few times in gravel and rocks when "someone" persuaded me to take the wrong route- not my idea Tim, nice photo by the way! :thumb I also fell over quite a bit in deep sand. On none of these times did I hurt myself or cause any great damage to the bike. I feel that I have a sense of acheivement from the trip despite the fact my hand is still bandaged up after me undergoing surgery upon my return to Glasgow. :(

Some of you can bang on about needing years of off-road experience before undergoing such a trip abroad. I don't agree. I think that at least some off-road experience would be an idea and a good level of fitness but after what happened to me, I would thoroughly recommend you get some kind of recovery deal for your bike in the event of an accident. Leaving Morocco without your bike is not easy. :nono I received a lot of help and got the bike into the hands of shipping agents. Only then was I allowed out of the country.

A pity Tim has received some bad follow-up feed-back about accomodation. Mabye there's more to it. Personally I would have been willing to throw down the tent if need be. :nenau On a positive note, I saw some amazing sites, met some great people and achieved things on a bike I didn't know I was capable of. :clap

I'll maybe post one or two pics when I get the films back from the lab. You guys with your fangled digital cameras.... ;)

Great to have your contribution to this thread Gav, and I hope that hand is on the mend. :thumb

I'm particularly pleased you have acknowledged your sense of achievment, because to my mind you achieved the most.
When you rode none stop up that steep, rocky section from Tata to Igherm with your head down I thought you were really begining to enjoy the riding, it wasn't until we were at the top and you, still with your helmet on, and sat on a rock with your head in your hands, looking terrified I realised what an 'ordeal' that section had been:eek: . Priceless, well done :thumb :D

The two day section from Taliouine to Zagora via foum Zguid was an achievement for us all, but a bigger one for you. That sand was no fun for you :D and being influenced by 'someone' who questioned how much water to carry leading to you almost running out towards the end didn't help :rolleyes: :eek:
You needn't have worried I had my own 3L Camel bak half full and a fresh bottle in the shade of my pannier for emergencies :beer:

We all know your collision with the moped was unavoidable, wrong place/ wrong time :(

So when it came down to it, I agree with your point of not needing years of off road experience, rather the confidence to put into practice the skills you have, and that's a skill in itself.

The bad feed back regarding accomodation is as you know far more than that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:clap :clap :clap :clap

Attachments

• Gavin.JPG
    Gavin.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 449
Gav said:
Personally I would have been willing to throw down the tent if need be. :nenau QUOTE]

Yes, that was good :thumb :) makes you appreciate a bit of luxury when it does come your way :beer:

Attachments

• camping.JPG
    camping.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 440
Hi Tim. Yes, I did find the deep sand challenging. :eek: After I got home I was quick to receive advice along the lines of “just keep the power on“ (and not from off-road motorcyclists I hasten to add). :confused: I think I knew this but having the nerve to do this on a fully-laden 1150GS is another thing. The more throttle you give it, the quicker the back steps out. Again, it’s all about confidence but when you see the bike in front of you obviously hit a tricky bit and get into trouble or take a fall, the confidence starts to go again and it’s oh feck…! :eek I think I did improve though. I should give a big thanks to Ian here for helping me through this section. Top bloke.

As regards the water, I did listen to your advice. I had almost 6 litres with me and was still quite low at the end when we reached the tarmac in Zagora. I think Steve may have actually run out though. I seem to remember him saying something about sucking air!

Nice to see the photo of the camping. And the photo before it… nice plant- what is it? I noticed there’s also an out of focus image of a guy on a GS in the background. Anyone we know?? You guys with your fangled digital cameras.... ;)

Gav said:
And the photo before it… nice plant- what is it? I noticed there’s also an out of focus image of a guy on a GS in the background. Anyone we know?? You guys with your fangled digital cameras.... ;)

:moped:You were riding so quick the camera couldn't cope :thumb

Regarding water in case anyone else does these pistes in the heat, I suggested a camelbak full 'plus' four bottles for each leg. I washed my hair, well what's left of it, in the morning too :cool:

Hey Guys that was great!!Pictures were unreal and the runn ing comentory excellant , i just ignored all the other stuff!! cheers :beer:

Some pics which I've just put through the scanner... this is steaming away from Algeciras. Quite a wash was created by the 4 stern drives.

Attachments

• 2-27.jpg
    2-27.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 301
Africa comes into view...

Attachments

• 2-33,600wide2.jpg
    2-33,600wide2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 297
Thanks to a self-timer and one of the group taking a tripod, here are all six of us assembled for a photo.

Attachments

• 3-07.jpg
    3-07.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 298
After riding through Marakesh in 43 degree heat, it was good to be able to get the boots off. Note the colourful tiles on the walls of the Hotel Fantasia.

Attachments

• 4-19.jpg
    4-19.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 283
Topping up the drinks bladders was a regular occurance. It's important to be able to drink on the move.

Attachments

• 5-23,450high.jpg
    5-23,450high.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 291
Time for a moment's contemplation before entering the desert stage to Zagora...

Attachments

• 5-36,600wide2.jpg
    5-36,600wide2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 280
Hmmmmmm getting itchy feet again, must still have sand in my boots ;)

Back
Top Bottom