Llangollen 2006 Fords epic......the plan.....

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, here we go again......

Last year we did somefekking great fords.....and some really naff ones.....

This year I'm planning on doing the good ones again and finding some new ones to do....so with much browsing of Wetroads.co.uk, maps, guides and having consulted that funny green lichen that grows under Timolgra's navel,, here we go.....

The rtoute is 135 miles long........that IS long for a fords ride (given the play time and photo ops at each splashy bit) but it's a lovely ride with good scenary.

It should be do-able on tourences but I'd recommend TKC's or similar if you want to tackle the actual rivers....there will however be 'tooned outs' so those who don't want to do any particular crossing can get around the wet bit (Gary rode with us last year and seemed to have a good time watching the frolics armed with his camera......so don't worry if you want to come along and see what fording's all about without committing yourself to geting wet)

For the above reason, it should be fine for Pillions......we won't be going fast, it's more of a meander to the fords than the road ride might be......plus it'll be easier than the off-road ride- the best of both worlds really :D

The first (and also the biggest, deepest and most funnist ford :D) (ps Schtum :dabone ) is the mighty Corwen.

I've only done one of them, but I'm determined to find and conquer the second Corwen crossing....

Corwen 2 (the missing one)
corwen1.jpg

Corwen 1...easier than it looks here :D
corwen2.jpg

Another view of Corwen 1...this is about how it'll look....it's also the one I had the video of up here last year....it's fun, seriously!!!!
corwen3.jpg

Ok, that's the big hairy one out of the way...there is a bridge that non-forders can use further down (and we'll meet on for those who do cross)

Second ford of the day will be Pont-y-Llyn-du.

I haven't been there, haven't seen it so don't hold me to how good it'll be...this is how it looks though....

pont-y-llyn-du1.jpg

As you can see, there's also a 'tooned-out' here as well....

X1092Y1320S25W500H300.gif

Then it's on to the third ford....Nant-yr-onog.

This was my favourite ford from last year.....I got stuck on it on the recce and BHT had to help me lift my back end out of the water, and on the ride itself we had a few big splashes IIRC....

It's got a footbridge for non-forders to watch from, but the actual crossing is down a steep muddy/rocky track about 300 metres long, then a nice shallow entry and a realy god ride some 80 metres up river before a small bank to exit onto another 30 metre flat mud track to get back to the road......

It was fekking ace!!!! (and this pic doesn't do it justice) :D :D :D
nant-yr-onog1.jpg

After Nant-yr-onog, we'll shoot along to Manafon for a tarmac bottomed easy one.....
manafon1.jpg

manafon2.jpg

Next ford, number 5 of the day, Pant-y-ffridd.
pant-y-ffridd1.jpg

Again, I've not seen this one so we may have to explore a little but the WP's in the file and this is the description of it.....

'Just off the B4390 half a mile west of Pant-y-Ffridd village, this ford lies on an old public lane obviously still used by 4x4s (although not readily motorable in an ordinary car. It's a roughish crossing of the River Rhiw, with pretty rapids on the upstream side. The nearest footbridge is 400yds downstream.'

Looks good.....:thumb

After that one, there's a fair old wiggly trek through some great lanes and roads to the ideal photo opp spectator friendly ford at Aber Rhaeadr.

'A serious deepish paved ford, about 30ft long, across the River Tanat immediately above its confluence with the Rhaeadr. With 6" to 8" of water, it's a fair challenge for an ordinary car, especially as there are now sharp lips each side. The asphalt road through the ford is public, despite the misleading appearance given by the signs and landscaping of Plas Tanat, the large house on the north bank. Footbridge; no signs or depth gauge.'

Or as it looks....
aber%20rhaeadr1.jpg

From that last ford, there are some more wigglies and scenary back to the Hand Hotel.......

Assuming there are a minimum of 4 people up for it (as Corwen is potentialy a bike-drowner, I want that number as a minimum to help pull fallers out) I'll plan
to leave the Hand 30 mins after Simon's offroad ride starts...so that's 10.30 on Saturday morning.

I will do a short brief before the ride as normal, but we'll use the drop-off system (read Sorebum's post if you're not sure, or search here, or I'll explain on the day if you're not sure) and it should be fun......

Hmmm.....I think I might have made that seem scarier than it actually will be......

Seriously, don't worry, it'll be fun :D :D :D

Here's the Waypoint file........I'm going to try and nail the accuracy down a bit better but it's a good start......

Attachments

• Llangollen fords 06.gdb
    44.7 KB · Views: 161
An idea of numbers would be appreciated....so if you fancy getting yourfeet wet or just coming along to laugh at the rest of us getting soggy, please post here :)

I'm just looking on my TRF marked map of the Corwen area Bill and can't see anything, but my eyesight ain't what it was.

It's only 25mins away I'll try to get over and have a nosey, it could be that I have ridden the second one in the past and forgotten, my memory also ain't what it was :D

Tim

I really loved it last year... it was great fun some of the scenery was outstanding the gold mine the forest tracks .... where are all the pictures of the gold mine waterfall and bridge?

The big chicken from NI like the 'tooned outs' the Irish bridge was my limit :D :D

If it's anything like last year anyone who goes is in for a treat just watching :thumb I can't recommend it highly enough... :D

TUNED IN said:
I really loved it last year...

You don't need any help from water to fall off -

You fall off in the dry on straight roads :ymca

TUNED IN said:
but to whose bike?.... not 020 mans :eek:

My bike!

I took the 020's off road so I'm going to give TKC's a go, things can only get better, plus I'll have her indoors sat at the rear giving me her words of wisdom :thumb

Bill you tosser ;) I'm just back from Corwen and had a look at the ford(s), also had a look for Corwen 2, the missing one. The reason it's missing is because it's Corwen 1 :dabone

Here have a look the fence down to the river is new, but it's the same place :D

Attachments

• corwen 1.JPG
    corwen 1.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 249
There's not 'too' much water in it just now, let's hope for some more rain ;)

On The A5 between the start where the traffic lights are and the exit by ther bridge is the most fantastic out door cafe, the Rhug organic place with bacon rolls to die for and easy parking etc. It's literally only 2 minutes from the ford and could suit as a quick break.

Tim

Attachments

• corwen 2.JPG
    corwen 2.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 222
timolgra said:
There's not 'too' much water in it just now, let's hope for some more rain ;)

On The A5 between the start where the traffic lights are and the exit by ther bridge is the most fantastic out door cafe, the Rhug organic place with bacon rolls to die for and easy parking etc. It's literally only 2 minutes from the ford and could suit as a quick break.

Tim

The caff sounds good Tim, but with Corwen being the forst ford it might be a tad early to stop?? We'll see on the day io spect ;)

Wetroads definately lists two fords there......
'The first ford Nr Corwen, locally known as the 'carwash' is very popular with 4x4's, access is easy and the surface is firm with a few small rocks, a 4x4 with good wading ability is the important. There have been reports of barbed wire being placed in the water as you enter the ford, so worth having a good look before you cross. (Images 1 & 2)'

'The second ford is just downstream and quite similar, the finish is on a green lane but the start is on a standard C road.'

Number 1 (that we've done before) is definately the one ringed in the pic below..the description says the second is downstream, and If I remember correctly the river flows North-West to South East here (ie left to right at the ford on the map) so maybe it's down by the church and the 'y' joining of the rivers?? :nenau

Maybe we should just stop Whatton and Liz coming out up the bank and send them downstream to look for it :D

Attachments

• corwen.gif
    corwen.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 230
I walked down stream to the junction with the main river, this is the river Dee I doubt we could cross that :eek: but I'll have another look

Hmm, I think I'm with Tim on this, I've looked for the second Corwen ford on a couple of occasions and never found it. Certainly the pic Fanum posted is of the ford we know about. The description "finish on a green lane but starts on a standard C road" fits the known ford as well - the gate leads to a tarmac single track road and the other side is a green lane through a field.

Having said that, if you look at the 1:50000 OS map for the area, there's what could be another river crossing slightly south from the known one at a place called "Gwerclas". But it appears to have a bridleway (?) on one side and a footpath on the other. But as we know, the OS map isn't always correct.

I hope you find it :)

Back
Top Bottom