80 watt headlight bulbs???

FATBOY

This has been done I'm sure. Anyone hit any problems on the GS12, re extra amps? Canbus? Switches?
Got the bulbs given, just a bit frit to fit 'em without asking!
Thanks, Phil.

use to run a 130watt in my 1150 lovely... never could get to the bottom of what damage it would do so fitted spots and 50% plus bulbs.... 80 watt seems like a small hike

Got 100w of lovely light in my 1150 too.....makes a big difference:thumb

I would think the wiring would be up to it but I'm worried the Canbus might think something's wrong (drawing extra amps) and shut the thing down.
Bottom line is, am I creating another potential breakdown? :nenau

Dave284 said:
80w working OK in my main beam

Hi, None meant, but high/main beem's a joke. :mad: It's only any good for going around left handers, the rest of the time its in the trees and too high (dealer sais the alignment is correct).

Has any one tryed upping the wattage in the low beem to about 80w??

Ever tried these?

55w + 50% = 82.5 watts (equivalent, so they say). Same result without the potential issue of melting wires. I use them in both dip and main and the result is a lot less shite than a standard bulb. Still shite, that is, but less so.

If this isn't enough, then I have read somewhere that there's a PIAA bilb rated at 55w but with the output of 110w. But at £60+ a pair for the PIAAs, my Philips bulbs aren't quite shite enough!

Fitted PIAA blubs on 1150, different colour but more light - questionable.

Stick my neck out here and say that long term it may cause hardening of thr insulation leading to a fractured wire.

Was that one of BTBR :bow comments? can't quite remember.

Gonzo said:
If this isn't enough, then I have read somewhere that there's a PIAA bilb rated at 55w but with the output of 110w. But at £60+ a pair for the PIAAs, my Philips bulbs aren't quite shite enough!

Dont waste your money, I got a PIAA 55W "like 110W", and its not.
There is more light from a standard 80W.

:(

Gonzo said:

The philips 50% extra lights do make a difference, not vast but still better. I fitted them in my wifes car as well and was pleased with the result especially on main beam. On the bike the difference is in a whiter as well as brighter light than the standard bulb and I have seen a few drivers wince when I've puled up behind then at night.

Andy

You could try the Halfords high output bulbs;they're cheaper than Philips and they make a big difference! I've just done a 24hour run with one in and for the first time on my 1200 I could see in the dark.Thunder put me on to them.Thanks Thunder!!

ELIMINATOR said:
Stick my neck out here and say that long term it may cause hardening of thr insulation leading to a fractured wire.

Was that one of BTBR :bow comments? can't quite remember.

Yes it was indeed.

Personally I would not recommend adding higher wattage bulbs, for the reason mentioned above. Unless you increase the diameter of the earth cable, but there is still the issue of the extra current being drawn past the switch.

However, I would recommend the PIAA Extreme White "PowerSport" bulbs, 55watts but give the same light output as 110watt bulbs. Hence no fear of overloading switches or cables etc.

Not cheap at £30 each..............BUT having witnessed dam near total head light failure due to the earth cable going brittle on someone elses bike that I was fitting lights to, I know which option I would prefer to take.

Your choice, but please dont say that you have not been warned. :nono

BTBR

BTBR said:
However, I would recommend the PIAA Extreme White "PowerSport" bulbs, 55watts but give the same light output as 110watt bulbs. Hence no fear of overloading switches or cables etc.

Not cheap at £30 each..............BUT having witnessed dam near total head light failure due to the earth cable going brittle on someone elses bike that I was fitting lights to, I know which option I would prefer to take.

BTBR

I agree 100% with BTBR. :thumb

I first fitted Osram Silverstars to my 1200 and was disappointed with the result - not a noticeable improvement.

Then I switched to the PIAA bulbs - and the difference is amazing - well worth the money IMO and cheaper than fitting auxillary lights.

Andy

Philips Power Plus

I would recommend the Philips Power Plus with 50% more light. Not sure if this is really correct but there is a marked increase in brightness. Got mine from www.powerbulbs.co.uk. They have a special offer where you get a second pair free – useful for stashing under the seat as spares - about £20.00 the pair. Also had a set fitted to my previous R1150R and they were great at night.

Humbug said:
I agree 100% with BTBR. :thumb

I first fitted Osram Silverstars to my 1200 and was disappointed with the result - not a noticeable improvement.

Then I switched to the PIAA bulbs - and the difference is amazing - well worth the money IMO and cheaper than fitting auxillary lights.

Andy

Agree with all those recommending the PIAA extreme white. Used the Philips 50% brighter for a while, then took the risk with the PIAA's, amazing difference.

Have now fitted them to the car (3 series BM), similar improvement.

Much cheaper than HID's, but not much less performance.

Back
Top Bottom