Bike powered Kenwoods (Autocom)

<<Mark_C>>

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my Autocom bike to bike set up. I'm currently using a cheapo Motorolla radio, but getting tired of changing batteries. I'd decided to invest in a Kenwood TK-3207 which is not only more robust but it has the option to work at a higher power output (where legal :cool: )

I've got the mid range "Active 7" autocom that has no facility for powering a radio. No problem I thought, I'll get a Kenwood with a battery eliminator, which is basically a dummy battery pack with a fag lighter plug on the end.

Rang autocom today just to check that leads are available for the 3207, and they informed me that although the 3207 will work fine on battery power, there is no way it will work using the battery eliminator. Apparently this will create interferance and basically its a complete no no with the Active 7 unit.

Does anyone have any actual experiance of this? ie bike powered radio / Active 7 unit.

Mark

<<Mark_C>> said:
I'm looking to upgrade my Autocom bike to bike set up. I'm currently using a cheapo Motorolla radio, but getting tired of changing batteries. I'd decided to invest in a Kenwood TK-3207 which is not only more robust but it has the option to work at a higher power output (where legal :cool: )

I've got the mid range "Active 7" autocom that has no facility for powering a radio. No problem I thought, I'll get a Kenwood with a battery eliminator, which is basically a dummy battery pack with a fag lighter plug on the end.

Rang autocom today just to check that leads are available for the 3207, and they informed me that although the 3207 will work fine on battery power, there is no way it will work using the battery eliminator. Apparently this will create interferance and basically its a complete no no with the Active 7 unit.

Does anyone have any actual experiance of this? ie bike powered radio / Active 7 unit.

Mark

In my expereince the bods at Autocom know their stuff so, unless there is a complete misunderstanding, I would hesitate before investing in the higher spec radio or stick with the battery.

One thought. If your mates do not have similar higher power radios, you will be able to transmit to them but they may not be in range to reply. Rather defeating the object perhaps? That being said, it may have its advantages.

Wapping said:
One thought. If your mates do not have similar higher power radios, you will be able to transmit to them but they may not be in range to reply. Rather defeating the object perhaps? That being said, it may have its advantages.

A few of my buds are thinking of upgrading too. TBH though, the main reason for upgrading is to get bike power. I'm trying to get a "fit and forget" set up, hopefully with the radio permanantly connected in the tool tray area or such like.

Its not that I disbelieve he autocom bods - but there might just be an exception to their rule. I'm sure they're not just out to sell me a new unit :confused:

Autocom seem to have "issues" with ground loops... They sell isolators in some of their cables, which can apparently be 3rd partied with units from other sources... I have a nexxtech audio system ground loop isolator that I bought at Radio Shack in Canada..... and haven't had the need to hook up yet...

I'm suprised they didn't take the oppertunity to sell you one of thier fancy isolator cables.... Leads me to believe that it really won't work... :(

Al...

Back
Top Bottom