Speeding in France

Clive795

Reaction score
Got 'flashed' by a speed camera on my way back to the tunnel in France on Monday. :spitfire :spitfire
Are they likely to follow it up ?
I was in a UK rental car which might discourage them ?
I assume that at worst I will get a fine.
Clive

Clive795 said:
Got 'flashed' by a speed camera on my way back to the tunnel in France on Monday. :spitfire :spitfire
Clive

No, no worries (yet). France has got agreements with several countries, but the UK isn't one. If you were doing 50 kph over the limit, you can go to jail if the rental company transmits your name....

You will be dragged screaming from your bed at 4.00 in the morning and deported to France where upon you will become some old lags 'bitch' for the 12 months it will take you to get to trial, constipation will never be a problem again. Once convicted will be sent to some malaria infested island to serve the life sentence you richly deserve. You might escape by throwing yourself from a cliff and floating to freedom on empty coconut shells.

Second scenario. We cant arrange to deport murderers from this country. Nothing will happen, just dont get stopped within France. Currently a huge crack down on speeding through out the country and yes you can go to jail if you drive at 50 Kph over the limit. Oh and the 10% over the limit guideline we enjoy here does not exist in France. Minimum fine I believe is now 120 Euros if stopped over the limit and thats on the spot, no credit cards accepted only French cheques or folding stuff. You naughty man :D

I was told that over 40kph over the limit, that your vehicle could be impounded :(

Shep :nenau

Shep said:
I was told that over 40kph over the limit, that your vehicle could be impounded :(

Shep :nenau

You're right, they will impound the vehicle until the fine and any outstanding fines are paid. The death rate in France has been horrendous over the years. The last couple of years in the South driving has improved and speeds are noticeably lower even out of town. The police presence is much higher than I can ever remember it being and speed traps in and out of towns are set up on a regular basis. Drink driving has had a massive purge. One speed trap on the route out of Nyons stopped 17 speeding motorists in the afternoon and found 13 were over the stricter French drink drive limit, all the drinkers were banned from 5 months to 2 years and fined. Major write up in the local papers. Be careful and enjoy what is a beautiful country

If you get caught drink driving in Luxembourg the police will take your keys of you then drive you home in your car.

Which is nice.

I heard they are bringing back the guillotine for those with Brit registrations! :D :D Watch out for 110kph areas on the autoroutes, I got nicked on the A26 doing 117! Didn't see any signs as the inside lane is always full of trucks.
As Thornley says, the purge continues.......... :(

A mate told me his speeding fine was waiting for him whan he returned ... in Australia from Alaska.! :eek

If you lot don't have agreements with France then I should be really good on OZie plates? :bow

Frank Warner said:
A mate told me his speeding fine was waiting for him whan he returned ... in Australia from Alaska.! :eek

If you lot don't have agreements with France then I should be really good on OZie plates? :bow

They will send you the ticket, but they can not cash it in. If they managed to get your address, all they do is send the ticket. But cashing it in, is a more difficult problem since they don't have any authority in your country. That's why they are doing these bi-lateral agreements.

Watch out for 110kph areas on the autoroutes,

Thats what got me, I saw the warning sign - 'pour votre securite' started to look for the camera but saw the flash first - I think I was doing about 140 kph.I don't object to a fine - I knew I was over the limit but I don't want any points.

The advantage of it being a hire car is that if the French use ANPR they are only going to get the next renter !

Thanks for the advice everyone I'll start oiling my backside :ymca

Clive

Shenzi said:
I heard they are bringing back the guillotine for those with Brit registrations! :D :D

Yeah!

And we are taking our Longbows again whenever we visit French soil! :p

I was driving around the Limoges ring road last night. This is three lanes both ways with traffic lights every few hundred metres and has a 50kph limit - no-one does 50 but there are the odd speed camera now which the locals know about. I passed a group of British bikes parks parked at the side. A few minutes later two of them ( sportsbikes, loud exhausts and small number plates) came hurtling past, the other quieter bikes followed but at a less aggresive pace. The bikes didn't get ahead as all the lights were at red but every time the lights changed the two sportbikes had to make as much noise as possible to get to the next red light. I'm sure they'll have been flashed.

For me, it's pricks like these that explain why the British general public is so anti bike and, as yet, the French aren't. I hope they get a really nasty fine and never come to France again.

Just read in MCN, about a couple of lads who had been speeding in Switzerland. Don't know the speed, but they were fined....on the spot....A GRAND EACH !!!!!.........The copper swipped their credit cards there and then.........

Holy feckin sheet.......... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back in '94, before the cameras, I was stopped doing 100mph up the 'Autoroute du soliel' on the way back from the 'Bol d'or'. I told the copper I didn't have enough cash...and he promptly asked for my credit card, and produced one of those old manual credit card swiping machines!! He also caught me soon after, asleep in my sleeping bag just outside a motorway services....I was greeted like an old friend!!

Clive
I was in Holland last August. I got flashed and didn't know.When I got back to the US, I received the ticket in the mail about 3 weeks later. I had my friend who lives there pay it and I sent him a check. For $28 USD I didn't want any problems. John

They will send you the ticket, but they can not cash it in. If they managed to get your address, all they do is send the ticket. But they won't commit to proper road safety policies - just like the Brits - so fiddling around with the symptoms and not the cause of the problem, and not being arsed to look at the complex causes of crashes means they'll just impose more and more pointless regulations and compliance until there are men with red flags again. That's why they are doing these bi-lateral agreements.

Fixed it for you. Rather cynically, admittedly, but accurately.

Speed cameras and all that

Tha fact remains that the standard of driving on the French roads has improved so much it is difficult to understand why it took so long to clamp down - not just on those speeding but on all the 'boy- racers' (most of them middle aged or female or both!) Between 2005 and 2006 road deaths went down by 12% - think about that!

Here in the sunnier climes of Western Australia, our antipodean law enforcers have set the threshold on speeding at a mere +0.5kph over (even on the 110kmh roads). Most locals have poor driving standards despite the roads being mostly straight, wide and free of congestion. If they had to contend with UK roads most of them would probably be involved in an accident fairly quickly due to poor observation and anticipation (non-existent). I've just completed a two day riding skills refresher course with AHG in Perth and the things we saw on our group rides would make you wince.

One thing I believe true of law enforcement regarding motorists, no matter where you live:

The authorities would be better off spending their money on improving the driving standards, clamping down on drink driving and preventing mobile phone use whilst driving rather than zealously enforcing the speed limits. Or is it to do with revenue raising I wonder.........

not to far wrong on the revenue gathering stance....

I had to laugh when i heard about the Dutch Police..... The police salary is 3/8ths of feck all, and the government wasn't willing to budge so the police have started "industrial action" - they still do their regular duties fully but....... they aren't turning on the speed cameras........ causing a drop in revenue of tens of thousands of euros every day!!! nice one

Having said the above the penalties are very light in NL - small fines and no points system - nice..... but..... everyone drives like a complete tosser on the motorways because the built up area speed limits and congestion is mental. - 30km/h in residential areas. ...... the price you pay for cramming 17 million people onto a postage stamp

Back
Top Bottom