Was considering...

Mick_rw

Reaction score
exchanging my 1150GS in P/E for a 1200GS, so paid a visit to a couple of dealers.....nearly fainted....so have decided to keep my 1150GS.

First dealer offered me £4400, second offered me £5000, my bike is just under 2 years old I purchased it May last year £7500. Both 1200's were in excess of £8000

The reason......Ohhh high milage sir.....I purchased it with 3000 already on it and I have added 35000....why is it such a problem with miles... :rolleyes:

Mick_rw said:
The reason......Ohhh high milage sir.....I purchased it with 3000 already on it and I have added 35000....why is it such a problem with miles... :rolleyes:

What milage on a second hand 1200 would be acceptable to you Mick? ;)

Milage..

Whatton said:
What milage on a second hand 1200 would be acceptable to you Mick? ;)
does not bother me, as long as the bike has been regulary and properly serviced and looked after.

I take it you would not buy a 2 year old bike with that milage on it..

Yet loads of people say they arn't run in fully until they get to 30,000+.

I know the average for a bike is 3000 miles a year, but only because of Sunny Sunday riders, if the bikes were used like any other vehicle, it would not be a problem. It pisses me off for being penalised because I use my bike all year round and everyday of the year no matter what the weather.... :D

Mick_rw said:
It pisses me off for being penalised because I use my bike all year round and everyday of the year no matter what the weather.... :D

So others who don't have as much wear and tear on their bikes should be penalised instead?

No I ....

Wizard said:
So others who don't have as much wear and tear on their bikes should be penalised instead?
would not want to see that happen.....and I know I should just accept it's a fact of life...but it still pisses me off... :D...my first GS with 48000 and four years old got me £3500 in P/Ex which at at a glance seems to be a better deal.

Mick_rw said:
I take it you would not buy a 2 year old bike with that milage on it..

i would if the price reflected this fact. I can't understand why you think it's strange that your bike is worth less than a bike with less miles on it.

Buy a high milage 1200 and you won't have to stump up as much when you trade yours in.

Mines got 36k on it now, it had 11k on it two yeras ago when I bought it, I know I won't get as much as someone who only goes out for a ride on a Sunday morning but I look at the loss as part of the price of having a good time on the bike :thumb

I'm just glad...............

mine isn't going anywhere for the next few years without my fat ass on it :D

Wizard said:
I think the point to be made is have you ever seen a 1200GS for sale for 5k ?

Bod said:
I think the point to be made is have you ever seen a 1200GS for sale for 5k ?

Given that the 1200GS is a current model which is more desirable to the market, it's in no way surprising that it has a higher value than an 1150. Plus these are trade-in and dealer values, which will be much more polarised than a private sale value.

Wizard said:
Given that the 1200GS is a current model which is more desirable to the market, it's in no way surprising that it has a higher value than an 1150. Plus these are trade-in and dealer values, which will be much more polarised than a private sale value.
So what your saying is that the bike is worth more than 5k which backs up the point made by Mick in the first post. Why should dealers make on the buying and selling of a bike. They do only because we let them.

Bod said:
Why should dealers make on the buying and selling of a bike.

They would go out of business very soon if they didn't.

Wizard said:

I'm no expert on the "market" but I understood that clean, late, low mileage 1150 GSA's are the current depreciation king. But I might be wrong :eek:

Whatton said:
They would go out of business very soon if they didn't.
So you think it okay to make £1000 on a part ex and then 15% of the new bike ?

I expect...

Whatton said:
i would if the price reflected this fact. I can't understand why you think it's strange that your bike is worth less than a bike with less miles on it.

Buy a high milage 1200 and you won't have to stump up as much when you trade yours in.

Mines got 36k on it now, it had 11k on it two yeras ago when I bought it, I know I won't get as much as someone who only goes out for a ride on a Sunday morning but I look at the loss as part of the price of having a good time on the bike :thumb
it to be of less value than a bike with less usage. But not a drop in value of 33% in one year...

Mick_rw said:
it to be of less value than a bike with less usage. But not a drop in value of 33% in one year...

The drop is only 33% if you paid top dollar for the bike when you purchased it. Had you paid less you loss would have been less.

Sell the thing privately. Or, if you want to avoid advertising it, tyre kickers, people nicking it from under your nose on a 'test run', wasted hours waiting for some feckless twat who cannot be bothered to ring to say he's changed his mind and is no longer coming....go through a dealer.

The margins on new bike sales are pretty thin, so a dealer (to stay in business and give you a free coffee whilst you kick his rubber etc) makes it up on trade-ins, spares, clothing and the like. It's a tough old world.

Bod said:
So you think it okay to make £1000 on a part ex and then 15% of the new bike ?

I don't care, they can do what they want, I can't see why people are shocked when they try to make money.

Sell it privatly and buy privatly if you don't want them to take a cut, easy :nenau

Whatton said:
I don't care, they can do what they want, I can't see why people are shocked when they try to make money.

Sell it privatly and buy privatly if you don't want them to take a cut, easy :nenau
You must have more money than sense if you don't care, a dealers best friend.

Could have..

Wapping said:
The drop is only 33% if you paid top dollar for the bike when you purchased it. Had you paid less you loss would have been less.

Sell the thing privately. Or, if you want to avoid advertising it, tyre kickers, people nicking it from under your nose on a 'test run', wasted hours waiting for some feckless twat who cannot be bothered to ring to say he's changed his mind and is no longer coming....go through a dealer.

The margins on new bike sales are pretty thin, so a dealer (to stay in business and give you a free coffee whilst you kick his rubber etc) makes it up on trade-ins, spares, clothing and the like. It's a tough old world.
sworn that said 17.5% VAT a minute ago.... :D . I know I should not be having a whinge....it's me age and just wanted to increase my number of posts so I could be like Whatton :D :D Don't particularly want to sell private as my bike is my only means of transport so would either end up with two bikes or no bike...so will keep my GS till it or I fall over dead. As to top dollar, paid £7500 it was a year old and 3000 miles on it.

Bod said:
You must have more money than sense if you don't care, a dealers best friend.

No don't be silly, I don't care because I don't use them.

I have lot's more sense than money :thumb

Look at this way, you`re putting miles on one of the few bikes that will still be worth something with 100K miles on the clock, a jap dealer looking to take your fireblade which you paid 7.5k for 2yrs ago would give you Jacksh*t for 30+k miler. If you want to experience real trade -in to dealer resale value mastery try a Porsche dealer, it would make you weep :eek:

Back
Top Bottom