My mate is down!

dirtydog

Reaction score
'With A Beautiful Blonde Bull Terrier Wrangler In
Just been to see one of my best mates in Hereford general today.

He got hit by another biker yesterday afternoon on the Newtown to Llandrindod road. They were taking a right hander when another bike came round at the same time on their side of the road. He smashed into my mate bringing them both off and our other lad behind came off trying to avoid the carnage.

So, my mate is lay there with a broken leg, an S6 fracture to the neck, a fractured pelvis, dislocated thumb, a torn bowel and lacerations to the groin area. It really is upsetting to see!

His mate is just badly bruised-thank God!

Unfortunately the lad who hit him died at the scene, our thoughts are with his family and friends too!

As you can imagine, when it's this close to home all the lads are in shock and it's making us all think really hard about the way we ride and just how the roads are so dangerous for us on bikes!

Bad news. :(

Sorry for your mates and wish them a full and speedy recovery.

Sorry to read this, :(

On another note, is it me or do there seem to be more & more accidents with motorcycles each other hitting head on. :confused:

Give him my best too Dirtydog.
Im only 12miles from Hereford so if theres anything I can do to help or anything he needs PM me and I'll willingly help out.

redcastle said:
Give him my best too Dirtydog.
Im only 12miles from Hereford so if theres anything I can do to help or anything he needs PM me and I'll willingly help out.

Thanks mate, that's very kind of you ;)

Alan, I think you're right. I've always said that it's other bikers that scare me the most when I'm out and about.

OK, it can happen to the best of us but the way some of these summertime/Sunday riders ride is bad, real bad!

My mate is a good rider, done his advanced training just after me. The sort of bloke you could trust when you're out, good road positioning and defensive skills. I really don't think he'll ride again. In fact his wife told me today if he gets on another bike she'll leave him!

During his lucid moments today, with tears in his eyes he said, "Stu, the thought of bikes makes me feel sick". I've had his wife in my arms today in floods of tears and his Mom can hardly speak. Listening to his screams today when 6 staff had to move him to change the sheets will stay with me for a very long time indeed!

It's certainly made me think long and hard today. In one single trip going over to see him today, I had a van heading straight toward me on my side of the road and a 4x4! The standard of driving in this country is getting worse I'm sure.

Standing over your mates bed with him crying asking me not to let them move him again is shit, it really is. Only 2 years ago I was holding this lads hand whilst he was lay in a field after a crash which I thought would stop him riding then. I think this one will!

It's hard to put into words how we and our families feel at the moment. We're just grateful he's alive and with no head injury!

Quick and successful recovery to all involved ...

The A470/A483 through that area is going to get biking in Wales completely screwed ... I came down it Sunday at about 4'ish and three sportsbikes came past me at about 120ish in one straight section, cornering on the line for the few bends I could sight them through. At the next 30 limit, they dropped to the limit and we all formed up at a set of lights, whilst two wheelied away back up speed ...

It was obvious from the drivers attitude around us at that point that we were getting tarred with a similar brush ... its no wonder that the N.Wales plod are going after bikers, I can see the local outrage headlines now ...

Sad news....I've thought about this scenario a few times in the last couple of years and this just brings it home with a bang!

I really hope your mate makes a quick and full recovery...and his mate too.

Glad your friend is alive if not well, thoughts go out to his family and those of the poor devil who didn't make it home from his ride that day.
Slow down, enjoy the scenery and hopefully get home.

Jeez that's awful news :(

I was riding around N Wales most of Sunday after the Llangollen do, there were sports bikes riding at crazy speeds everywhere. Police helicopters following them in some cases, 4 miles from my place is yet another bunch of flowers on the A5 :(

Hearing of 'accidents' like that after witnessing dangerous riders do make me think twice about going out at weekends around here. :(

All the best to your mate and it's tough on you too.

Sorry to hear the bad news, hope he makes a full recovery......mentally as well as physically

Like Tim and others point out, there are some crazy riders out there and it makes me keep off main biking routes wherever possible and stick to 'GS friendly' smaller roads, unused by sports bikers.

Unfortunately I can only ride at weekends...............when others are out too

If that happened to me, I think I may give up road riding altogether, much as I love it and concentrate solely on Trials....................at least I can travel to events in my Van and have my fun off-road

dirtydog said:
I think you're right. I've always said that it's other bikers that scare me the most when I'm out and about.

OK, it can happen to the best of us but the way some of these summertime/Sunday riders ride is bad, real bad!
Spot on (and Timolgra's comments).

A couple of weeks ago GWR and I were heading up to Hartland point. We were passed by four 'Sports' bikes. No probem there but as we crested a rise and the road snaked away I had a view of them as they straight-lined a series of bends. When we reached the same spot, the high Devon 'hedges' (banks actually), prevented any view whatsoever. They took each of the bends blind and in half of them on the opposite side of the road!

Almost as bad, when we came up on a car that they had passed, the driver was so concerned about more bikes behind him that he almost drove off the road in an effort to let us pass. As it wasn't safe to pass straight away, I could see the driver constantly looking in his mirrors, concerned that we'd become impatient and do something daft.

I can well imagine that we were 'tarred with the same brush'.

I'm lucky that I don't have to wait for weekends to ride. It's one of the reasons why I like the GS (as has been said), it encourages you to use roads and lanes that most other riders avoid.

Thank you all for your kind words and support, it means a lot to me as I know it will to Scott too:thumb

Most of my mates ride sports bikes, I had to make the break and get rid of mine.

I'll put my hand up and admit I was one of those brain dead maniacs we all see out on a Sunday.... race can, black visor and power ranger suit 'hoofing' around Wales. It took one crash whilst getting my knee down that changed it all. Within 1 year of that accident I had sold the bike and stopped riding with them.

I try my hardest to get them to slow down and think more about their actions, it just falls on deaf ears. They just smile and say, "you were the worst of us all!" Yeah, but the difference now is, I'm not anymore!

I guess I feel a little hypocritical at times, when I think back about the times I've come up behind someone and pushed them beyond their 'safe riding zone', all for fun at the possible expense of a LIFE! Jesus I was twat!

Sorry to get sentimental here, but as I said earlier, it's really making me think!

So, when they're all moaning about the Police in Mid Wales being pathetic about cans and visors etc, I'm now in full support of the Police's actions for once in my life.

I guess how the Police see it, is if they are 'harassing' the sports bike rider then they won't ride there anymore......WRONG. I can understand where the Police are coming from, especially when you see the horrific bike related accident figures for the North and Mid. A big question mark then hangs over the force...'WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO PREVENT THESE ACCIDENTS?'

I don't know what the answer is, but drastic action is needed that's for sure!

Once again, thanks for all your support :thumb

I would tend to agree, my sports bike days was going to end in one of two ways, either:-

1) a serious accident, there is only so long that you can get away with riding at 100 plus mph on the public highways. The clock was ticking, but its all part of the thrill isnt it. :nenau

or

2) I was going to get done for speeding and loose my licence. Not that bothered about loosing the car licence for a few weeks, as you get that back without to much fuss. But getting your HGV1 licence back after a ban is a little bit more tricky. :(

Thankfully, it was the latter one that made me move away from sports bikes and move towards big trail bikes.

Mind you, six points, £600 fine, with £300 court costs later, made the old eyes smart a bit, but at least I kept my licence, phew. Still........ better than the first option though!

BTBR

Thoughts go out

Got to add my thoughts to those that have already been placed here. It sends a shiver down my spine everytime I hear of anything like this. There by the grace of God go I.

Stu, a truly shocking tale mate, best wishes to Scott and his family, it sounds from his injuries as if he will be hospitalised for some time to come and full recovery will take some time. Must be a difficult time for you at the moment.

There by the grace of god go Snooty and me :eek:

We were on the A470 at the same time and could easily have been on the same road, or the sportsbike riders could have been on ours. Makes you think :(

Back
Top Bottom