'Nother McMemory problem

Bigtwin

Right, so. Found that backloading stuff of my iPod filled up my HD.

So, found t'files in Music, sent them to trash, and emptied trash - 30gb worth.

But, doesn't seem to be recognised by the system, which still says very nearly full memory; have re-booted etc, but no dice.

What cretinous mistake have I made now?

You mean it still shows as files on the hard drive? or the hard drive free space hasn't changed?

Which version of OSX are you running?

walti said:
You mean it still shows as files on the hard drive? or the hard drive free space hasn't changed?

Which version of OSX are you running?

The latter - files have gone - memory on the individual folders has been ammended, but on C drive, still reads full??

Dont know about Mac's which will probably become apparent BUT if this was windows system the memory would relate to the RAM not the capacity of space left ont hard drive. There may be just a coincidence here.
If this was a windows system i would be asking

have you got plenty of RAM ??
have you got any resources (programs etc) hogging the resources ???
why do folks in metros always drive at 30 ??

redcastle said:
Dont know about Mac's which will probably become apparent BUT if this was windows system the memory would relate to the RAM not the capacity of space left ont hard drive. There may be just a coincidence here.
If this was a windows system i would be asking

have you got plenty of RAM ??
have you got any resources (programs etc) hogging the resources ???
why do folks in metros always drive at 30 ??

256 of RAM - dunno how I check its status. Just says OK in system interrogation.

Nope - just the usual programmes running - all was fine till I bunged it up with music files from external disc, which are now gone, but seems to have missed a re-set somewhere...

Again, in windows terms 128mb is mmmmmmmmmmmm f*ck all but I dont know how hungry Macs are for the stuff.
Have you rebooted from cold, are did you just restart ??
switch it off if you didnt, have a cup of tea and then restart it. That will clear the RAM for sure.
Now see if you still get the message

redcastle said:
Again, in windows terms 128mb is mmmmmmmmmmmm f*ck all but I dont know how hungry Macs are for the stuff.
Have you rebooted from cold, are did you just restart ??
switch it off if you didnt, have a cup of tea and then restart it. That will clear the RAM for sure.
Now see if you still get the message

Should have said 256, not 128.

Yep - done full power re-boot twice - no dice. Have noticed that deleting anything makes no difference to the overall capacity readings. Have now checked all files for bulk - nothing shown anywhere that accounts for more than about 15GB tops of the 60gb (55ish useable). Fikking pooters... :spitfire

Give me the exact message you get
absolutely verbatim and I'll ask the question of a man who knows about macs

mac9fc.jpg

Are you using your admin user? I wonder if it's a permissions problem as the files were created with a differing UID :) and you can't really delete them.

I'll do some research. ...

Symptom is likely:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106712

You just got 1 volume?

If so open terminal.app and type

cd .Trash
ls -l

Are the files in there, and got some odd UID that doesn't match you?

The doc above has the sudo rm -rf commands in it to junk the files. Just be very :censor::censor::censor::censor:ing careful where you run it from. It'll run as root and take no prisoners if you screw up.

Note each volume has a .Trash folder too if you have other vols.

Ian

edit, pay no attention to the windows-lickers above, it's nowt to do with ram.

redcastle said:
Give me the exact message you get
absolutely verbatim and I'll ask the question of a man who knows about macs

depends on the applicaiton you are running - a variety of "insufficient memory to perform operation" type stuff.

Bigtwin said:

The latter - files have gone - memory on the individual folders has been ammended, but on C drive, still reads full??

If you recall some of the file names use the spotlight function to look for a couple of names you've deleted, as it's likely you've only deleted Alias's (shortcuts in Windoze terms) thus not freeing up disk space.

If you find that you've got a load of files showing up then you can delete them again!

ianf said:
Are you using your admin user? I wonder if it's a permissions problem as the files were created with a differing UID :) and you can't really delete them.

You just got 1 volume?

cd .Trash
ls -l

The doc above has the sudo rm -rf commands in it to junk the files. Just be very :censor::censor::censor::censor:ing careful where you run it from. It'll run as root and take no prisoners if you screw up.

Ian

Yes using admin, as I was when I uploaded yer toons with Senuti into Music file. 1 volume only.

Working on the other bit now...how do I open terminal.app (edit - sorry, being slow - got it)?

walti said:
If you recall some of the file names use the spotlight function to look for a couple of names you've deleted, as it's likely you've only deleted Alias's (shortcuts in Windoze terms) thus not freeing up disk space.

If you find that you've got a load of files showing up then you can delete them again!

Can't find any hidden, and I have Tinkertooled the files to disclose hidden ones - no dice :nenau

ianf said:

You just got 1 volume?

cd .Trash
ls -l

Ian

Answer: total 0.

So I am assuming that this isn't the problem then?

Run throught the options in that link too - still no difference.

I haven't read the link through that Ian posted, but, have you booted from your install DVD and repaired the drive permissions on your boot volume?

Actually there could be hidden dirs, check again with ls -al, and as the other dirs aren't yours you need to use sudo to execute commands against them...

Have a look in

/.Trashes/
/Volumes/???/.Trashes/

ian-farquharsons-mac-mini:~ ian$ cd /.Trashes/
ian-farquharsons-mac-mini:/.Trashes ian$ sudo ls -l
ian-farquharsons-mac-mini:/.Trashes ian$

repl. ??? with whatever's in there like on mine:-

ian-farquharsons-mac-mini:/.Trashes ian$ cd /Volumes

ian-farquharsons-mac-mini:/Volumes ian$ ls -al
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 16 ian ian 646 May 11 21:27 External FW One
drwxr-xr-x 11 ian ian 476 May 19 18:18 External FW Two
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1 May 15 23:38 Macintosh HD -> /
drwxr-xr-x 5 ian ian 204 May 19 19:19 SanDisk
ian-farquharsons-mac-mini:/Volumes ian$

walti said:
I haven't read the link through that Ian posted, but, have you booted from your install DVD and repaired the drive permissions on your boot volume?

Not got it - second hand Mac - didn't get the disc and bloke had moved house and lost it. Got some, but not all.

Back
Top Bottom